Interesting article on Lifehacker: WTH effect

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mander

Interesting article on Lifehacker: WTH effect

Post by Mander » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 pm

They don't call it the what the hell effect, but it's a similar idea:

http://lifehacker.com/5928698/how-our-b ... pular=true[/list]
Beginning: about 18.5

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks for this.

I don't think anyone has ever adequately explained the "logic" behind the WTH effect, just that it is a real and persistent phenomenom that successful weight losers find a way to thwart. The fact that so many have been unable to do that is testimony to its power. Knowing it's not some unusual character flaw has helped me. So many people report the behavior as if it's something shameful. No, it's the human default reaction to many food rules, apparently. You can change the default without fear because it's obviously misplaced.

The last strategy cited can become a real problem for some people. They end up either living in a constant state of making up for transgressions or feel guilty because they never actually do. This is where "fence around the law" is so useful; so is "Mark it and move on." I think the last two are more habit-friendly.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)