S Day Opinions Please

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NERunner

S Day Opinions Please

Post by NERunner » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:21 am

Well, I've managed to stick with Vanilla No S since Jan 1, with only one non weekend S day, and 3 total failures. I'm slowly losing, which is fine with me, and I'm fairly confident I can stick with this long term. I work in an elementary school and we celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week this week. That means a breakfast tomorrow, a lunch on Thursday, and a snack room every day this week. The snack room isn't a problem, I just stay away until lunch and if there's something I like/want I fit it on my plate or don't have it. The problem is the breakfast/lunch...mostly breakfast. I eat the same thing every day (high fiber cereal, toast and banana) and I'm not sure if something else would carry me over to lunch as well. Should I take an S day, or stick with the plan? Thoughts/opinions? Kind of a silly question, but it's been bugging me all day :? .

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 pm

I think you're worrying too much about it. The worst thing that is going to happen is that you're going to feel hungry between breakfast and lunch -- and feeling some hunger between meals is not only normal, it's a GOOD thing.

I'd participate and not worry about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

determined

Post by determined » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 pm

wosnes wrote:I think you're worrying too much about it. The worst thing that is going to happen is that you're going to feel hungry between breakfast and lunch -- and feeling some hunger between meals is not only normal, it's a GOOD thing.

I'd participate and not worry about it.
I agree...

I don't know about you, but sometimes I just plain over-think things and that over-thinking trips me up. If you can participate in the breakfast and still stay on the plan, that's a win....if you choose not to participate, that's a win too. Either way, you're choosing a healthy way to eat....and you're doing great! You've had four months of terrific, habit-forming days and I have a feeling you are going to sail through the day without any problems at all!

Congrats on doing so well since January!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:28 pm

How did the breakfast go?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Hope it went well for you! We also had a faculty breakfast this morning at my school...lots of wonderful dishes - and plenty of pastries, donuts, coffee cakes, etc. I filled my one plate with baked oatmeal, small serving of an egg and sausage casserole, and the rest of the plate was an assortment of fresh fruits...bypassed all the baked goods and didn't even blink. Didn't have to because the food was delicious!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

NERunner

Post by NERunner » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks everyone! It went well. I did eat cereal at home before I left and I left room on my plate for it when I got to work. I had a small portion of a couple of casseroles, 2 sausage links, and a plain waffle (no syrup or butter). The funny thing was I bypassed all the sweet stuff and didn't even feel deprived! You all were right, sometimes I overthink things and it's never as bad as I assume it will be. It held me over till lunch with no problem. I think I'm getting the hang of this....although I have been known to fit half a large Papa Murphy's pizza on one plate for dinner occasionally..... :D

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:01 am

Good job! Eventually these choices will be natural. I find that I have a hard time NOT following No S now. I find ways to make it work because the habits are now ingrained.

Like you sweets no longer have the allure for me that they used to.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

determined

Post by determined » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 am

Well done!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:15 pm

RE: the pizza. It's not what we do occasionally that causes the trouble.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)