Contemplating surgery....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

carpediem

Contemplating surgery....

Post by carpediem » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:04 pm

I can't decide what to do! I am 59, approximately 120 pounds overweight, with several weight-related health issues: hypertension, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea and arthritic knees. As many others before me, I have tried numerous diets and exercise plans, with no luck. I would not call myself a compulsive eater, but am an emotional eater to a point and definitely have a craving for sweets.
My concerns are numerous! Will any resulting weight loss be permanent or a temporary fix? Will I still crave sweets and therefore probably fail at this new diet/lifestyle? How frequent are side effects such as hair loss and chronic diarrhea?
Is there anyone out there who is in the same boat? If so I would love to hear from you! Although the No S route sounds great' I haven't read too many postings from folks who are trying to lose significant amounts of weight (100 or more pounds). Any suggestions???

ryan1972

Post by ryan1972 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Hello. I'm in a similar boat. I would like to lose about 100 pounds. I'm confident that No S can do that in conjunction with smart food choices. I've investigated lots of plans, but No S is the only one that seems "do-able" for the long term. It seems to mimic the way intuitive eaters eat, and for me I need a plan. My intuition is shot.

As for surgery, I think it's a very personal choice. For me, it's too scary. I think about people who have had the surgery and regained the weight anyway. It's about changing the habits that shackle us. If that doesn't happen, the surgery can't be a success (in my opinion).

That being said, I've heard of some people who have the surgery AND change the way they eat.

I'm just getting started, and I've had two reds in one week! It's really hard to change the way we've done things for years.

Good luck to you.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:04 am

There are some people posting who have lost large amounts of weight but not many over 100 lbs. If it helps at all I lost 45 lbs in the first year, and I want to lose a total of 70. I am 3 months in to year 2 and have been maintaining but not losing. This is really okay because I feel pretty good and from the beginning my primary goal has been to maintain whatever losses I do happen to achieve. I have faith that I will gradually achieve my goal.

Oh and by the way, I am 56.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:23 am

If I go by what the charts say... http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/as ... eight.aspx# I should weigh between 128-160. doctors tell me that I am big-boned, which I pretty well knew already. I picked the top number to be realistic. That being said, I need to loose 80 according to my top weight. If I went in the middle, it would be about 100. Be kind to yourself and pick a place that you would be happy. I would honestly be happy with half of it gone. Keep in mind that slow and steady wins the race. This will work IF you do it. You'll have to be strict with yourself. I just spent the whole last year and a half wishy-washing my way through and not ever actually doing it! I now realize that I have to actually Do it for it to work! duh, huh? Well, I just did my first (in a long time) 21 days perfect, and I have to say that the "pull" is honestly disappearing. I don't "want" food as much! Really! I hope it keeps up, but give it your all before trying anything serious please. We're all here for you!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

determined

Post by determined » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:11 am

Hi there...

I am a life-long dieter. I've been on every one...and always gained weight back. I have a history of binging (I'm 52), and emotional eating. I don't have 100 pounds to lose, but I have battled weight literally all my life. I think you're doing exactly what you need to right now...you're gathering information. NoS has been wonderful for me. I'm not where I want to be with my weight, but I believe I've learned so much about myself and what I need to do to maintain my losses. NoS is a great lifestyle. I am healthier & happier when I'm eating reasonably...and I can see myself eating this way the rest of my life.

I think the most qualified person to direct your questions to would be Reinhard. I'd suggest dropping him a PM & he could direct you to testimonials that would help you.

Also, if you haven't read his book yet, I would highly recommend buying it. It's not an expensive investment, but I think the information in it is vital to truly understanding this eating plan and why it makes so much sense. I would definitely try to read it before you make any major decision.

Let us know what you decide....

Success to you...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

carpediem

Thanks!

Post by carpediem » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Thank you all so much for your input! Very good advice and always good to hear that I'm not alone in this battle!
I know surgery isnt for everyone, and I also know it's not always successful. I have a couple friends who have gone through gastric bypass or vertical sleeve and end up eventually gaining a good portion of the weight back. Also, there is a part of me that feels like I'm giving up if I go that route instead of strictly dieting and exercising. I guess the health issues and my age are what's starting to make me rethink the surgery. Also years and YEARS of trying to do it on my own and failing.
I signed up for NoS a couple years ago but never did anything with it. Think I will take the advice, reread the book, and give this one more shot! I think I can...I think I can....!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I gently ask why you resist the title of compulsive eater. A person who eats for emotional reasons and does not seem to be able to stop herself to the point of weighing 80-100 lbs. more than normal has a pretty strong compulsion to eat. If you have always been heavy, it may not just be emotions that compel you eat enough to maintain a weight higher than the norm. That being said, it is still a habit, generated by internal and external stimuli that have been reinforced probably thousands of times.

You will likely still have to face many of the same eating issues after surgery, especially if you want to get to and maintain at the low or even middle of the normal BMI range. Two people I know who had the surgery had to go through extensive counseling on eating before or after the surgery. I also know of at least one who has gained back a lot of the weight and is actually in danger of hurting herself by overeating, but doesn't stop.

I believe research shows that previously obese/morbidly obese people need to eat around 500 calories less daily to maintain the same weight as those who were never that heavy. It sounds like most do it by sheer force of will rather than becoming completely comfortable and carefree about food. They do become comfortable/accepting of the idea that it is a price they are willing to pay for fewer health fears and a more culturally-approved appearance.

Of course you are going to get more information and from more informed sources than us, but in the meantime, what would it hurt to commit to No S while you research? You'll likely have to wait even after you make a decision and you can be learning moderation while the time passes. You'll have to exert more effort because you will not have the stricture of the surgery, but I doubt it will be worse than the pain you will go through recovering-- though that is not an option, once the surgery is done. BTW, my niece had the surgery about a year and a half ago, but she was at 370 lbs. She told to me that the desire to eat doesn't really go away, though it is reduced and apparently at this point, tolerable. I am also on a site that has members who have lost up to 175 lbs. without surgery, but even 9 years later, it is a daily concern, though they insist on being quite thin.

No matter what, I still think you have every reason to believe that you can do what is needed to lose enough weight to increase your odds of good health and more satisfaction with your eating.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Carpediem... remember me??? You and I emailed back and forth some a couple of years ago. I'm the woman that had the VSG surgery. I'm now in my third year maintaining 90 lbs of 110 lb weight loss. I would have maintained 100% of the 110 lbs, but I quit smoking 5 months ago and I quickly packed on 20. I can't complain about that, though, losing the nicotine habit was worth the 20. I'm working now to get the 20 off.

Anyway, PM me if you wanna yak. Lots of insight for you!

Hugs,
Laura

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:39 am

I absolutely remember you, LauraAnn, and am so glad you are still out there! I was wondering if you were. Also very glad to hear your surgery was successful and you're happy with the results. As you can tell, Im still trying to decide, but for now am giving the No S another chance. Let's keep in touch!! :)

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Carpe,

You are doing the absolute best thing for you. I don't think there's a better more sane way to eat on the planet. If I had to do it over again, I just would have continued NoS.

LauraAnn
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:25 am

Say THAT into the microphone!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:39 am

Well just finishing up on my first week of NoS and am happy to say I've lost 3 pounds! That's even including a 'special occasion day' (daughter's birthday) tossed in the middle. At first I was going to forego the cake and ice cream experience as I was pretty motivated to stick to NoS, but decided I need to not get too compulsive about the diet or will probably give up. So, one small piece of cake and one small scoop of ice cream was enough for me. Was talking to a friend who had VSG a couple months ago and has already lost 65 pounds. Can't help being envious, but am becoming convinced that this is the way to do it. Talked to my endocrinologist the other day and she said weight loss surgeries are risky and do not have a very high success rate. Also 75% of the battle, even after surgery, is to eat right and exercise. In other words, if you don't have your head on straight, you're not going to keep the weight off long-term. I kinna knew that but when it's confirmed by a professional it seems to sink in a bit better. Guess I'll just keep on keepin on!! :D

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:51 am

Laura....Are you saying you regret the surgery?? I thought you were in favor of going that route? I know we talked before about how it makes a difference when health issues come into play. However, you also have discussed how sensible NoS is compared to other diet plans. Please elaborate!!

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Carpe - I pm'd you, but looks like it's stuck in my "Outbox" instead of "sent"??? Let me know if you got it.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Yes I got it, Laura, actually it came through twice...lol. Very good response and not any where near 'too much psychbabble' :wink: You should have posted it publicly...many could benefit from your wisdom!!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:07 am

MANY CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS, CARPEDIEM ! :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:07 am

Thank you Rocks :) Long way to go but trying to not look at it from that perspective. Let's just say first step in the journey!.....

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Okay, Carpe, I've posted publicly. You're right, maybe it'll help someone. And CONGRATS on the weight loss. Just keep on keeping on. :)

I don't believe in looking backwards with regret because it is counterproductive and changes nothing, but, having said that, if I could do it over again I would just continue NoS. I'm back doing it anyway now and have been for a long time.

First off, WLS is not permanent weight loss, it's like an "enforced diet" for the first year or so. After that, it's up to you. It's a tool. Don't get me wrong, I've learned to use my tool well and respect what I have to do to maintain the weight loss, but I'm no different than anyone else now. I have to work my butt off and diet to maintain it. This is where the majority of WLS patients mess up.

I think too that there is something that those of us with 100 lbs to lose, especially postmenopausal women, have to accept. With a normal, sustainable exercise program and normal sustainable diet (like NoS), we aren't going to be size 6. We were never meant to be a size 6.

Could we be that small? Sure we could! But it all boils down to whether or not you're willing to do what it takes to be that size. Are you willing to eat 800, 900, 1000 calories a day or exercise 3-4 hours a day? Not me!

I think you have to throw away the scale and be realistic. Follow the very livable rules of NoS, exercise moderately and get on with the business of living your life.

I wanted to be the size society said I was "supposed" to be. I wanted to be tiny and svelte and all those things. But I haven't been tiny, ever. I wasn't born that way. My focus was on the wrong things. I wish I would have just continued NoS (I lost about 30 lbs doing it) and looked at the things that made my heart sing.

Want to know something strange? I don't think there was truly a soul that was happy I did it. I didn't realist that it scared so many people and they loved me just the way I was. My problem was, I didn't love me the way I was.

Lordy, I know this is a lot of psychobabble for a Friday morning, but I guess it's all about just being happy and comfortable in your own skin, eating sensibly, exercising sensibly and getting on with the business of life.

Life is so short and so precious. Just embrace who you are right now, love yourself right now.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Glad you decided to share with other NoSers. I think what you had to say was important for others to hear as well. I remember you telling me 2 years ago that you had the surgery, in part, because of health issues and the need to lose weight quickly. Did the health issues improve? My biggest concerns right now are hypertension and diabetes. Major hereditary factors in play with both, but am really hoping both will improve (or go away completely) when I've reached my goal.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Laura, what a moving post. Thank you for having the bravery to share.

Best wishes,

KCCC

Mander

Post by Mander » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm not at all qualified to comment, really, but I have heard so many stories of pain and regret after WLS that I don't think I will ever chose to have it myself. It seems that so many people are able to lose weight but not keep it off because they haven't learned to eat in the very restricted and special ways that you have to adopt after some surgeries, or else they waste away and become incredibly ill and even die because they have trouble getting adequate nutrition. I know that not everyone has this experience but it still scares me.

If I accept the height/weight charts then I too am about 100 lbs overweight, but quite frankly I cannot even imagine how I would look at a conventionally thin size. Being fat has become such a part of my identity that I think I would feel uncomfortable as a tiny person. I'll settle for being average-sized and a bit more fit. Truly, my weight-loss ambition is to get back down into "straight sizes". I'm not sure just how many pounds that would be, exactly, but I'm betting it's not 100!
Beginning: about 18.5

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Carpe - I'm going to appear to be singing a different tune this morning and I am.

First off, you reminded me why I did this... health! This was NEVER about a size 6. I had some bad health problems that righted themselves completely within 30 days and I am PROFOUNDLY GRATEFUL for that!

I also had a heart breaking eye opener this weekend seeing my older brother (late 50s) who has been 125 lbs overweight for all his adult life. He looks like he's 70, short of breath all the time, enlarged heart, diabetes, etc. I am still stunned. I fear our parents will outlive him and they are in their 80s.

So, I'm very grateful for the surgery and for my health that it gave me back.

It's all about the health. That's the only thing that matters.

Keep on keeping on with NoS. It's a great program!!!!

If you some day decide to have surgery, I'm here too.

Going camping for a week. See ya in a week.

Laura Ann

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks to both Mander and Laura for your comments. I see both sides, I really do, which is why I'm still battling with this indecision. For now I'm going strictly NoS, but if the health issues do not improve I may well decide on the surgery. I'm so happy for you, Laura. It's wonderful that your health is better and that things are turned around for you. Forget the size 6 nonsense...lol. I doubt I wore a size 6 when I WAS 6 and I have never had any desire to be that small. That's not what it's about for me at all. It's just about feeling good and being here for my kids/grandkids. I just want what we all want on this site and am facing the same demons as everyone else. With the support of other NoSers, we CAN do it....no matter how many times we have failed in the past!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Great posts from others, and LauraAnn has been generous to tell us about her experiences.

I have lost a good deal of weight on NoS over a long period

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4734

and there are others who have also done so, as you will have seen from the testimonials bulletin board

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=13

Caveat: I still have a lot of weight to lose, but NoS is the only way I have ever managed to keep weight off long term.

You can lose the weight by following NoS, and the thing about NoS is that it is moderate, and does not have the terrible risks and costs associated with surgery. The health conditions you mention will improve as your weight decreases, and you will be able to become more active.

It might be worth making a definite decision to continue to follow NoS, and launch into it with your best efforts, repeatedly if necessary. Personally, I am not sure that I could have made it work if I had been constantly evaluating NoS against a Plan B. I had no Plan B, and think that it would have been hard to follow it with the determination required if I had had a fallback plan in mind.

The bulletin board is an invaluable source of support, and HabitCal is a useful tool. Re-reading the book helps, too.

Very best wishes with this.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks, Solid, for encouraging me to look at this thing in a different light. I never really thought about the surgery being a Plan B, at least not in the sense you are. It isn't like I'm thinking "Oh what the heck, I'll try this No S thing for a couple weeks and if it doesn't work I can always have the surgery". It's more like if I can't make this work I have no other choice. You managed to lose 96 pounds (CONGRATULATIONS!) in 6 years. I can't afford to have these health issues for 6 more years. Not at my age. I have several friends and family members who have had WLS, some successfully and some not. WLS is not an easy way out for me, it's a last resort..and hopefullyl something I never have to do!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:57 pm

LauraAnn wrote:First off, WLS is not permanent weight loss,
it's like an "enforced diet" for the first year or so.
After that, it's up to you. It's a tool.
Don't get me wrong, I've learned to use my tool well
and respect what I have to do to maintain the weight loss,
but I'm no different than anyone else now.
I have to work my butt off and diet to maintain it.
This is where the majority of WLS patients mess up.
Many of you know that I had WLS about 20 years ago,
and I agree totally with the above post by LauraAnn.
If you're interested, you can learn more of my personal details
by clicking the ABOUT ME section at my website, DietHobby.
The link is below in my signature.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:39 pm

carpediem wrote:Thanks, Solid, for encouraging me to look at this thing in a different light. I never really thought about the surgery being a Plan B, at least not in the sense you are. It isn't like I'm thinking "Oh what the heck, I'll try this No S thing for a couple weeks and if it doesn't work I can always have the surgery". It's more like if I can't make this work I have no other choice. You managed to lose 96 pounds (CONGRATULATIONS!) in 6 years. I can't afford to have these health issues for 6 more years. Not at my age. I have several friends and family members who have had WLS, some successfully and some not. WLS is not an easy way out for me, it's a last resort..and hopefullyl something I never have to do!
I don't think I personally know anyone who has had WLS. I had a neighbor for whom it was recommended twice -- maybe three times. To the best of my knowledge, she's not had it (we both moved), though she was considering it again.

She asked me what I thought about it and I argued against it for her for several reasons. First, she had proven that she could lose the weight in a reasonable amount of time. She had been on a medically supervised calorie-controlled weight loss program and lost about 100 pounds in less than a year. She regained that weight plus more. While we were neighbors, she lost 75+ pounds following something like No-S (which she heard about from me) in about 6 months. She regained all that weight, plus more, too.

Second, she's an emotional/binge eater. There may be therapy included with the surgery, but I don't think it would be enough to keep her from eating as soon as something unpleasant happened in her life. She's been in therapy much of her adult life and a good deal of it has included her bingeing.

Third, and most important as far as I'm concerned (I'm an RN), if you can do anything to avoid surgery -- do it. There's always risk involved but with more and more nosocomial infections occurring, I think if invasive procedures can be avoided, they should be avoided. There are times when invasive procedures are necessary and the treatment of choice. But if you can find another way to accomplish the same goal in a reasonable amount of time, it should the primary plan. My 2¢ worth!

About gaining weight post-menopause...I'm aware of a woman who gained weight (can't remember how much) post-menopause and has dieted rigorously to get back to the weight she was in her 20s. However, she's always "dieting" and to me it never sounds like she's enjoying herself much. Most of us are going to gain some weight once we hit menopause -- it's not abnormal or unusual. While I don't think we should throw caution to the wind and gain large amounts, I think we should be prepared for the fact that we're not going to look like we did a few decades earlier!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:26 am

Thank you for the responses! I do agree that people who obsessively exercise or diet sometimes seem to lose their joy. As was stated in a previous post, we need to remember to 'keep the heart happy'. I don't think dieting is about appearances so much as it is about being healthy and feeling well enough to feel the joy life has to offer. As all-consuming as this adventure is, we need to keep things in perspective.....not always easy....
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:16 am

I traveled with someone who had weight loss surgery, and it was very frustrating. She was still a large person even though she had kept off some of the weight. She wanted to eat every couple of hours, and she was constantly eating sweets. On top of that she always wanted to share which derailed my efforts to eat moderately. She bought high quality sweets, and it was difficult to turn down the portion she offered.

She also lost weight quickly which left her a lot of ugly sag that has never gone away. Because I am 56, I was concerned about sag, especially after seeing her. However, it has not been a problem using slow loss combined with exercise.

Here is a thought. Try losing 10% of your body weight the slow way. (For me that took 4 months and involved regular exercise as well as No S.). They say that no matter your size that losing 10% will provide a health benefit. If you are like me, success will breed more success, and you will become less concerned with the pace of the loss.

Whatever you choose, I wish you luck.
Maintenance is progress.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks, Jean. You reminded me of another subject I wanted to bring up. How much of an issue is the 'sagging' problem for those who have lost a fair chunk of weight? I was involved in aqua therapy at one point and I remember the therapist mentioning in passing about one of her patients who lost alot of weight (around 100 pounds). She said the patient actually looked worse when she was thinner because of the sagging skin issue. Also, a good friend of mine had gastric bypass about 12 years ago. She lost around 100 pounds but has close to that yet to go. The surgery only seemed to get her about half way to her goal. She has alot of loose skin but cannot have the surgery until she reaches a certain weight, which sadly I don't think she'll ever do. Is there any way to curtail this skin issue other than losing slowly, or of course surgery? Also, somewhat like the person you spoke of, my friend does not have the best eating habits. She will over indulge and then do the 'dumping' thing and practically fall asleep at the table or not feel well enough to drive home from the restaurant for awhile. And she doesnt go crazy with sweets or anything, says she just isnt chewing enough or talking and forgetting about how fast she was eating. It all seems so.....tedious to me. I don't want to go through life with so many rules. If I maintain an average of 2 pounds a week on NoS, I'll be thrilled. That's a reasonable goal I think...
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:44 pm

The sagging problem might be related to rapid weight loss. I haven't experienced this so far, losing weight relatively slowly and exercising. I know people who have lost weight fast who do have a problem with this.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm hoping this will be the case with me as well....time will tell!
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 am

I do not think there is any way to avoid sag other than slow loss and exercise. You may lose 2 lbs. or more a week at first, but one pound a week is probably best as time goes on.

You will feel so much better after the first few months that you will not care how slowly it comes off. Slow is better than the yoyo dieting that happens when you try to do too much too fast.
Maintenance is progress.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:18 am

I know you're right, Jean, but 1 pound a week sounds soooo slow. Guess I'm being impatient.
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

determined

Post by determined » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:59 pm

carpediem wrote:I know you're right, Jean, but 1 pound a week sounds soooo slow. Guess I'm being impatient.
I understand that!!! It's so difficult to lose slowly when we are conditioned by the ever-present media that we can "Lose 40 pounds this month and never, ever be hungry!" Okay...I might be able to lose weight faster than by going on yet another diet. I've done it before. Again. And again. And again. By learning this healthy way of eating I feel as if I am slowly, but surely erasing the lifetime accumulation of dysfunctional eating. I am not only learning to eat well, but I'm learning how to maintain it. In all the diets I've been on in my 52 years, I never considered learning to maintain my losses before they even came off. But it's truly so logical. I never could keep weight off because I always reverted back to the way I was eating BEFORE it came off. NOW, I'm learning to make THIS my "normal". I might struggle from time to time, but when I do I seem to desire to "go back" to eating the NoS way. I am learning to make eating in a healthy manner my NEW normal!! What a concept!!!

You might be losing slowly, but don't give up. Losing slowly and learning maintenance at the same time is a win-win....hang in there...you can do this.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:18 pm

I totally get what you're saying, Janie. And I know you're right. If I had not dismissed NoS so quickly 2 years ago I would be thin and healthy right now. Frustrating and yet I'm really thankful to be back and on track. Interestingly enough, today is an S day and I kinna almost don't even want to eat anything extra. I'm not a big eater but I am a sweet eater, and for me to not want to eat anything sweet is kind of hard to wrap my brain around. And to think I've only been on this diet for a couple weeks! At this rate in no time at all I can have this lifelong sweet addiction conquered!!
....I really don't think this plan should be called the NoS Diet. It's more like a NoS LIFESTYLE :P
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

determined

Post by determined » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Absolutely!!! You've got it completely. It IS a lifestyle and the one we are going to have!!!

You're doing great...getting to the point where you know this way of eating is the way to heal patterns of dysfunctional eating is so significant. Whenever I struggle I remind myself that I feel GREAT when I'm eating this simple & healthy way.

Have a great weekend!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:53 pm

carpediem wrote:I know you're right, Jean, but 1 pound a week sounds soooo slow. Guess I'm being impatient.
hi carpe diem..
i just wanted to add to this thread..
it may seem slow, but hey, a pound a week still equals 52 pounds a year, and that's not too shabby..
if you're concerned about slow or fast, i think that exercising really makes a difference, so try to do some moderate exercise every day.
good luck!
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:03 am

I am a lot overweight too (I'm not sure by how much, but I'm about double my lowest adult weight), and have thought about surgery but decided I'm not interested. I have heart disease and worry about having an anaesthetic and about the risks of complications. I'm also worried that I would feel unhappy. I don't think it would suit me to lose weight quickly, and I prefer the look of plumpness to loose skin. I also don't think I could manage to eat tiny portions for the rest of my life!

At the moment, I'm relatively active and feel OK about my body. I don't want to do anything which might make me feel worse (health-wise, etc.).

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:18 am

I agree with all of you...slow and steady wins the race! I understand your logic completely, Dale. You mentioned you have heart disease and therefore don't want to risk surgery. My original thinking was that maybe I should have the surgery because of my health issues. Figured the longer I wait the more damage is being done. However, there is a real 'down side' to WLS as well--- Teeny tiny portions, dumping, alot of vitamin supplements, etc. The NoS plan is one I can definitely live with, and for now seems to be working quite well for me....granted this is only my 3rd week and I have not hit any plateaus as yet, so motivation is high. Just comparing how I feel on S days compared to how I feel on N days is a good indication that my health, attitude, moods, energy and overall well-being are definitely impacted in a big way by what and how much I'm eating. The whole 'plump vs sagging skin' is also a factor. I agree that plump is definitely better, but I don't know how much difference it makes in the end. I, like you Dale, am about double my ideal adult weight, so have to think there is going to be a certain amount of extra skin once I've reached my goal. Time will tell.....
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:55 am

wosnes wrote:
Third, and most important as far as I'm concerned (I'm an RN), if you can do anything to avoid surgery -- do it. There's always risk involved but with more and more nosocomial infections occurring, I think if invasive procedures can be avoided, they should be avoided. There are times when invasive procedures are necessary and the treatment of choice. But if you can find another way to accomplish the same goal in a reasonable amount of time, it should the primary plan. My 2¢ worth!
A friend just cancelled a get-together because her BIL died from gastric bypass surgery. Yes, died.

I'm with you on avoiding surgery except as a last resort. My dad used to say "The only minor surgery is surgery on someone else."

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30 am

KCCC wrote:
wosnes wrote:My dad used to say "The only minor surgery is surgery on someone else."
Good line.

Dale

Post by Dale » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 am

Carpe, I do agree about losing weight because of health problems, and that's the reason I'm trying to lose a bit of weight now. Otherwise, I wouldn't diet at all. I've been the same weight for a good few years now (mostly not dieting) and I'm worried that if I try to lose weight I'll end up even bigger (as that's what has happened in the past).

Supposedly losing 10% of your body weight is enough to make a difference to your health, so I'm probably aiming for that rather than a healthy BMI. That would still leave me in the obese range. I've read lots about dieting over the years and love reading personal accounts, but it seems that stories of people my size or bigger who lose weight and keep it off are the exception rather than the rule. And of those successful ones it seems to me that a lot of them were overeating by quite a lot to start with (whereas although I'm obviously overeating as I'm overweight, I don't noticeably eat more than anyone else). And of the ones who do maintain, some seem to do it through a permanent state of dieting.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I don't have much faith that any diet (including No S) would get me back to a healthy BMI and keep me there. The difference with No S (for me) is that it feels pretty much like a normally eat, but without the little extras here and there, so it doesn't feel like dieting (and so I don't get the mental problems that I've had in the past when I've dieted). It also works well socially, so should be easier to keep up.

So if I don't believe I'm going to get slim by dieting, you'd think I'd be looking at surgery instead! But as I mentioned, I'm more worried about the risks of surgery than the risks of being fat. Maybe I've got it the wrong way round, but in the end it's more of a gut feeling than anything. I feel that things are working relatively OK (apart from my heart, I have a fairly functional body!), why take the risk of messing it up?

I'm not knocking anyone who has had WLS or is planning it at all - good luck to all of you! I'm just saying why I don't like the thought of it for myself, despite being a great deal overweight.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:50 am

I find your situation interesting Dale, but I think No S could be helpful to you. There are many people who have not lost much weight who are on this forum. There are some people who never had a weight problem at all. If you stick with this plan I think you will find that your relationship with food will change. I relish and enjoy food more than I ever did before, but I think about food less if that makes sense. No S helps you to change your mindset concerning food and diet in ways that you will be surprised. I challenge you to read the book and follow the basic rules for one month and see how you feel.

Some benefits for me:
I do not feel deprived while I am on No S.
Sweets are no longer a problem for me. I rarely eat them.
My S days usually involve more indulgent food choices than my N days, but I make better choices naturally, and my S days are not wild.
I have also gradually increased my exercise, and it feels good to be fit.
I have adapted a lifestyle that I can follow regardless of the situation.
I am no longer obese. I am overweight, but I am no longer obsessed about my weight. I believe I will gradually settle in to the weight that is right for me.
Maintenance is progress.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:46 am

Thank you all for your thoughts. Seems everyone has the same reservations about WLS but most of us know people who have had at least moderate success with it. Of course, most of us also know people who have been unsuccessful or have had complications as well.....one thing we do all agree on is that surgery of any type is a risky business.
Dale, I hear what you're saying about being concerned you're going to regain any weight you would lose dieting and a few more pounds besides. Been there, done that. But I really dont see NoS as a 'diet'. It really feels more like a lifestyle to me, like a chance to correct the distorted view of food that I've had pretty much all my life. I did not start out heavy, was a thin child and a thin adult until about 20 years ago. With me it was a combination of medications that caused weight gain, a relatively inactive lifestyle that caught up with me, and a messed up metabolism which was a souvenir from a bout of chemo a few years back. Also age, let's not forget that one. And stress. And a love of chocolate...and...and...and! The bottom line for me is this: I watched my mother die last year from multiple health issues, brought on nearly entirely from a lifetime of obesity. I lost my brother 3 years ago after having 2 amputations caused by diabetes. At one time my brother was over 500 pounds and after gastric bypass had only managed to lose half the weight he needed to. I was a thin child in a heavy family and saw all the emotional and physical scars obesity can create. I'm not willing to follow that same path. I'm not willing to say 10% weight reduction is enough, or a moderate amount of 'feeling better' is acceptable, or except for my heart condition I'm relatively healthy. I'm not doing that to myself or to my family. Like you, I'm not a big eater. I don't eat alot, I just don't eat well. With No S I dont have to decide whether it's okay to grab a cookie before supper because it isn't. Don't have to rationalize about whether or not I can eat a second piece of cake because I know I can't. There's no guesswork and no head games. It's just common sense, something I've proven over the last 20 years I dont have much of!
Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. Hope I didn't offend but just wanted to let you know how strongly I feel that going halfway with this thing should not be an option...
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

determined

Post by determined » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Well said! I think your attitude going into this is right on target. I hope you are here often...the encouragement I've gotten from this group of great people has been amazing. I know I would not be here without it.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Dale

Post by Dale » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 pm

No offense taken, and I admire you for going for it wholeheartedly. I was also "naturally" slim for most of my life (could eat whatever I wanted) then started to put on weight fairly quickly (I don't know what the trigger was). I don't have your family history: I'm the biggest in my family! I can see how your brother and mother's awful experiences would make you determined to avoid that sort of outcome. My worry is that if I did lose a lot I'd end up gaining more, whereas I might be able to maintain a smaller weight loss. Apparently yoyo dieting is worse for your health than being fat, so I don't want to get caught in that cycle.

R.jean, I've been following No S for a few weeks and so far it seems to be suiting me in a way that other diets don't. I have an OK relationship with food normally (I don't comfort eat), but when I diet it goes off the rails. I become obsessive, guilt-ridden, etc. I find it very difficult to avoid purging. Last time I dieted I felt terrible. It was just like being depressed, and that wasn't an extreme diet at all.

The difference with No S is I don't think it will do that as I'll just be eating normally for most of the time, but missing out the odd snack here and there that I might otherwise have had. I normally have three meals a day, don't have a sweet tooth and don't normally have deserts, so it's not a big change. I have actually lost some weight on it, although I expect that to slow down. I don't think I could lose a large amount of weight on it without deliberately cutting down my portions. I'm hoping it just takes me to that 10 % loss and keeps me there. Any more would be a bonus!

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Dale, if you aren't really an emotional eater and you are not much of a sweet eater and you don't eat exceptionally large portions, I don't understand why you have a weight issue. I know you said sometimes you binge, but have you ever figured out what causes those binges? That might be the key that would open the door for you.
I know I want to 'graze' when I'm upset over something or when I'm depressed. I also know if I have sweets around I have always been practically powerless to stay away from them. But, as I am sitting here typing (and believe me chocolate and pastries are a real problem for me) I am aware that my husband has a big bag of M&M peanuts sitting on the stand beside his chair. The miracle of all this is that not only am I not sneaking any of them today while he's gone, but I also did not have any last night when he was eating them and offered me some! (insert applause here!). That may not be a big deal to the average person, but for me that's huge!
I know there will be times when I let myself down. And I know there will be times when I just say "screw it" and pig out on something stupid. But the difference is, I am not going to walk away this time and I am not filling my head with negative self-talk. You and I have more to lose than most on here, but instead of looking at it as having to lose 100 pounds, I like to look at it as losing ONE pound 100 times!! :wink:
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi carpediem! Just popping in to say I am enjoying your posts and your positive and cheery outlook as well! I hope some of it rubs off onto me ... :roll: I do find your posts to be very uplifting.

However so sorry to hear about your brother and your mom. So sad to read of your brother : going to the length of getting the WLS surgery and doing what he absolutely thought was best at the time.

I apologize carpdiem - I know what I wanted to say but finding it quite hard to put it down in writing. Basically, I wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and your post on your family history in particular really touched me!

Ending on a more positive note: I really admire your approach to the No S Plan. Have a great week! :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Dale

Post by Dale » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Carpediem, I wouldn't say that I binge at all. What I meant was that when I diet I sometimes eat something I "shouldn't" and then feel guilty and agitated and end up making myself throw up. I'm really embarrassed to admit that, but there it is. I think it's really bad for me to do that, and that's one reason I don't want to diet. I don't feel like that at all when I'm not dieting. (I imagine that some WLS wouldn't make me feel like that, so that would be a point in its favour).

As far as calories go, I think I must have been having a little bit too much day to day, rather than binging. I'm not saying I don't eat a lot, because I eat plenty and have a good appetite, but I eat fairly "normally" (i.e. much the same as the thinner people around me). I haven't put on weight for a long time now, so I must have been eating just enough to maintain my (too big) weight. I have some chocolates just close to me right now. They've been there since Christmas, but I don't really feel the urge to eat them. It's not as if I'm resisting or using willpower, I just don't really want them. It looks like that aspect is easier for me than for you, so I should count myself really lucky! Well done on being able to resist even when you were offered (I would find that harder)!

I love your idea of losing one pound 100 times! I'm really enjoying your posts here too.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:38 am

Thank you for your kind words, Rocks. Tomorrow would have been my parents 65th wedding anniversary. Am also closing in on the first year anniversary of Mom's death, so guess I'm feeling her presence more than usual these days. She was a wonderful mother and I was truly blessed to have her in my life.
My brother's failed attempt at gastric bypass is one of the reasons why I'm hesitant to take the plunge....but only one of the reasons. The more time I spend on this site the more reasons I seem to come up with for not choosing WLS.
Dale, I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you were saying in your post. Please don't be embarrassed about anything you say on here....I'm sure there are many (many!) who can relate. Everyone's journey is unique and yet we all have alot in common. I can see why you're hesitant to re-enter the dieting ring; maybe if you can perceive NoS as not really a diet. It's just a healthier way to approach food. Do you mind if I ask your age? I get the impression, for whatever reason, that you are maybe 30s or 40s? I'm asking because you said you are basically healthy, except for your heart issues. You also said you were naturally thin for much of your life. I can only go by personal experience, but when I was in my 40's, even though I was starting to get fairly heavy, I didn't have any health issues either...maybe because I was thin for the majority of my life up to that point. Now at the ripe old age of 59, I have significant hypertension, sleep apnea, am pre-diabetic and in need of a couple knee replacements. As far as I'm concerned, all these conditions were either caused by or worsened by my extra weight. If I had started on No S a decade ago, or managed to lose the weight some other way, I truly believe I would not be dealing with all these issues now.
One last comment.....I would like to take credit for the "losing 1 pound 100 times" line, but it's not original. Can't remember where I heard it but I thought it was a great way to perceive things. One step at a time and all that! :wink:
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

Dale

Post by Dale » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 am

I'm 48, so probably at that age when health problems are likely to get worse rather than better! And I agree that it may feel better at the moment because I've only recently got fat. It's only been the last few years, and in some ways I feel better than when I was slim. But looking ahead, I can see that everyday activities are going to get more difficult. We're not talking about just a few extra pounds.

I didn't realise that it was so recently that you lost your mother. I lost mine a couple of years ago and I miss her a lot, so I feel for you.

You're right about perceiving No S as not being a diet: that's exactly the reason I'm trying it instead of other diets. I feel like I'm eating normally, and I don't seem to be having the mental effects that I've had with other diets. I think it's great! However, I'm guessing that there will come a point long before my "ideal weight" where I stall and have to make adjustments if I'm going to keep losing. (I know that could happen with WLS too). That's the point where I'd worry that I could sustain the changes. It's easy eating just three meals a day and I feel I could do it for life, but if they were tiny portions, I don't know ... I do know WLS isn't necessarily the answer as it seems that in the long term people have to put the same sort of effort and willpower into maintaining anyway.

WouldYouEva

Post by WouldYouEva » Mon May 14, 2012 8:06 pm

I had a VSG last June 22nd. I did NoS the 30 months before that, losing 44 lbs.

NoS works. Surgery works faster--but only for 6 months. NoS plus surgery? Like they were made for each other. NoS, done right, gives you excellent habits, so you can lose weight before the surgery, and avoid gaining it back after the large initial loss. In the early stages, you make sure your meals are small, but they need to be meals. I doubt I would have done as well without NoS and the mantra of no sweets and no snacks.

I regretted the surgery the day after. Since then? I have been thrilled to have had it. It's a tool, like NoS, if you don't use it right, you won't get full benefit from it.

My hair has thinned but isn't falling out in clumps. I find eating 60 grams of protein a day hard without making at least one meal a protein shake. My knees have only starting hurting less about 10 lbs. ago. And I still am on high blood pressure meds.

While on NoS, I went from a size 28 to a size 24. I'm a size 16 now. And I have a LOT of baggy skin, but I tell myself my clothes do a good job of hiding it.

I love that every day that I work out, I'm rewarded with a weight loss. Motivation is a terrific thing, however you get it.

If you are looking for a vote in favor of surgery, here it is. But make a lifetime committment to NoS, too.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks WouldYouEva! I appreciate your input regarding surgery and NoS. I've found that there are alot of conflicting views on any type of WLS. My main reason for considering the surgery is to improve existing health issues and to give my joints less of a workout. However, I want to give NoS an honest try as well; if I can lose the weight even at a slower pace, I will stick with it and forego the surgery. However, I havent been at this very long so am keeping my options open.
Good luck with your weight loss! Don't know how much more you have to lose but has to feel wonderfu to have lost so much so far!
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

WouldYouEva

Post by WouldYouEva » Mon May 14, 2012 10:13 pm

I just got to the point where my knees hurt so much I was willing to do almost anything to make them feel better.

The reason why you hear conflicting opinions is the failures are memorable to people, but the successes are somewhat boring. Sort of like the myth that adopting "cures" infertility: people forget the cases where they adopted and went on to have zero children after, but remember the people who adopted and then were able to have more.

I'd advise finding a WLS surgery seminar, and finding out what the options are. Also, most insurance companies want to see evidence of weight loss on your own AND it needs to be monitored, so just having a print out of your weight now, and your weight 6 months from now isn't going to cut it.

I had horrible cramps and pain when I had a uterus and getting a hysterectomy was like a weight off my shoulders--but people had warnings about that, too. For me, the combination of high blood pressure and knee pain was enough to convince me that I needed a surgical solution. If I had had sleep apnea and diabetes on top of that, I would have had my surgery much sooner.