Nighttime sugar cravings (This is gonna be the hard part)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

samhandwich

Nighttime sugar cravings (This is gonna be the hard part)

Post by samhandwich » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:06 am

Hi folks. I'm starting the No S diet today and I already know that my evening dessert craving is going to be the real challenge for me. It's 10:30 right now and I reeeeally want something sweet. At least some chocolate milk or something!

Does anyone have suggestions for beating this? Do the cravings lessen over time?

Thanks!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:28 am

It does get easier! Be tough! Hang in there! Stubbornness is awesome!

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:44 am

I've to confess upfront that I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and dessert never, ever features on any of my menus. (My friends know to offer to bring dessert if they're invited for a meal - it's either that or go without! :oops: ) So, I'm probably not the best person for advise here. One suggestion I can make though, is to plate up some fruit with supper, and then eat the fruit later, instead of something sugary. I know that you won't get the same satisfaction, but it's one way of staying compliant. It does violate the no-snacking rule to an extent, but I feel that if a food was plated and then eaten later, it can't really be seen snacking.

Good luck!
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:47 am

If it feels too hard, give yourself permission to have something sweet, but in the evenings only, and only as a temporary measure. If you're cutting out all sweets before supper, your sweet tooth will start to diminish. Eventually you will be able to cut out the after dinner sweet without pain.

samhandwich

Post by samhandwich » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks everyone. I managed to make it through last evening without sugar, so I know I can do it. I have a feeling I just have to tough it out for a week and it will be easier after that. I'm just going to do my best to go cold turkey and see how far I get.

Thanks for the encouragement!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Congratulations!

If it gets too bad you can try a caloric drink. Milk packs a wallop (and apparently helps you sleep). Even (100% fruit) fruit juice is permitted -- certainly sweet enough (perhaps even too sweet -- I tend to stick with fresh squeezed to make sure it's inconvenient to drink in quantity).

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:48 pm

As a person who ate sweets pretty much non-stop from mid afternoon to night and sometimes even in the morning for DECADES, I'm here to say that yes, it does get a lot easier. I've been grappling with some failures over the last few months after going back to work at the end fo a short summer--when what I would really have liked is to retire, but I don't have the years in--, but it's not gone back to what it was, and I've been getting a second wind lately, too. I went months and months with happy compliance, and I still feel joyous and grateful that I do not fear the nights anymore.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

samhandwich

Post by samhandwich » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm just trying to be strict with myself for now and stick 100% to the plan. Second night was already a bit easier. I'll see how it goes tonight.