Hello, I need encouragement

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bella75

Hello, I need encouragement

Post by Bella75 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 pm

I am stuck in a gluttony rut. I am 5 months pregnant and I just can't seem to gain control of my eating. I eat when I am upset, bored, frustrated. And I eat things that really should not be eaten everyday like dessert items and candies and such. I made up my mind two hours ago that I am going to give this plan a try for my own sanity. I don't care if I gain weight if that is what my baby needs but I do care if I eat junk all day. There is no way my gluttony is good for the baby or me. I know all the sugar affects my moods. I get tired and lazy after pigging out on the stuff. So I am here for encouragement. I just need to get some control. With daily prayer and this plan I hope to form a lifetime habit of eating with control.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Nice to meet you. You'll get lots of support here. The older discussions are interesting and inspiring.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Welcome Bella. May I make some suggestions?

Forgive yourself.
Practice gratitude.
Since you mention prayer, read and meditate on things which are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, and of good report.

It does get easier.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Do keep thinking about what is best for your peace of mind and your baby. The baby does not need for the mother to gain a lot of weight. The baby needs very few extra calories and the body can build new tissue with an amazingly small amount of nutrients. It is much more important to provide quality food. Just keep thinking fo the fact that humans have for hundreds of thousands of years been having children while eating fresh, whole food when pregnant. That is what the body was meant to be processing. Give yourself that gift, too.

I do know that some women say that eating small amounts of dry food can quell nausea. I found that recently while not being pregnant. However, I spent many hours not eating and feeling slightly nauseous with no ill effects. I don't think it hurts a person to skip the eating.

It's much easier to be tough on yourself before you give in than afterwards and it feels better, too. Keep telling yourself you can hang on one more hour. Know that a good, full, delicious meal is waiting and you will enjoy it so much more.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks for the encouragement.

Thankfully I am pass the queasy phase. I can eat full regular meals. I just need to tighten up and stop giving in to lazy junk foods. Oolala, you are correct that fresh whole foods are best. And I can make it one more hour. I think I'll keep that as my motto.

:) "Since you mention prayer, read and meditate on things which are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, and of good report"

And I must remind myself of this daily.

I'll be checking in daily with you all.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:39 am

my favorite advice on the matter is from someone else:

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the solution.

It takes some practice treating food as nutrition and not comfort for it to really sink in though.

And it is important to enjoy food, otherwise nutrition is an onerous burden.

Balancing these two things takes practice, and NO S is good practice for that.
Looking for intelligent daily defaults of all kinds.
http://claricaandthequestion.blogspot.com/

JessHessing1989

Post by JessHessing1989 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:06 am

Blithe Morning wrote:Welcome Bella. May I make some suggestions?

Forgive yourself.
Practice gratitude.
Since you mention prayer, read and meditate on things which are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, and of good report.

It does get easier.

I agree

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:10 am

Congrats on expecting your baby!

No S will help you find that sanity. Do you have the book? If not you might want to consider it.

Isaiah 40:8 "the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of God endures forever"

One of my favorites.

deb
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:21 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Congrats on expecting your baby!

No S will help you find that sanity. Do you have the book? If not you might want to consider it.

Isaiah 40:8 "the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of God endures forever"

One of my favorites.

deb
Thanks NoSnacker :) A very true verse...but then all the scripture is true. I admit that I must be reminded of it.
Start date: August 31, 2011
Pregnant

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Bella,

I have also, pre-No S, eated when I was upset, bored, or frustrated. Since No S, I look at the real problem and work on real solutions. For instance, if I'm upset, I pray, journal, talk to a friend or my husband, or work on the problem causing the upset. Unlike my food "solution", which somehow never solved the problem, I see my life improving. Turns out I was bored more than I knew. Now I paint or read or do much-needed housework or play a board game with my kids. If I am stressed and tired, I head to bed with a nice book and a big glass of water. I take care of myself instead of snacking. I am horrified that previously I would snack away those legitimate feelings and maybe not take such productive action to do something about them. Yikes!

I hope you will nurture yourself and your baby and give yourself what you both really need. We all deserve that.

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:31 pm

NoSnacker wrote: Do you have the book? If not you might want to consider it. deb

I am going to order the book today!
Start date: August 31, 2011
Pregnant

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Glad to hear you are getting the book...hope you are doing well!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 pm

I second what NoSnacker said...the book is a wonderful resource. I really don't think I'd be here doing this if I didn't have the book to read again & again. After you read it, you'll find you'll get a better understanding of why this plan is so good.

I hope you'll drop by often....you won't find a nicer group of people to be encouraged by.

Determined
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh