"How to eat dessert and still stay skinny"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

"How to eat dessert and still stay skinny"

Post by kccc » Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 pm

How to eat dessert and still stay skinny

I love this blog, and have recommended it before.

Most of her recommendations happen naturally with No-S over time, but if you want a jump-start... :)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu May 26, 2011 2:04 pm

My slender father ate dessert every night of my life. He never ever ate snacks, and was reasonably active -- chopped firewood, played tennis, loved skiing. I think he would have rather died than use a gym. Too boring for his taste.

And his desserts were usually tiny. But he loved them. It was kind of funny, because he had a huge sweet tooth, and none of the rest of us ever ate dessert at all.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 26, 2011 2:18 pm

I think she's a bit over-restrictive on desserts (one per week?), in part because she's rather in the "sugar is poison" camp.

I agree that sugar is an issue, and I look for products that don't add it. (There is NO REASON to put sugar in PB, for example! Yet, there it is!) But in terms of limiting desserts, keeping to S-days works adequately for me.

Plus, while the IDEA of setting a reasonable limit is good, it has to be approached carefuly by those of us used to eating too many. The limits have to be liveable! No-S puts you on that path...

However, the advice on "making dessert WORTH it" and not "eating low-quality stuff out of habit" is spot on target, IMHO.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Thu May 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Noticed an older post at the bottom of the page: Oops, I accidentally lost too much weight. What now? :o

Yeah, I'd be so lucky!
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu May 26, 2011 3:32 pm

The more I've read that blog, the more it has seemed to me that she has some serious psychological issues with body image and fear of food.

Like everyone else, though, I agree that it's best to be very choosy about treat quality! Office donuts do not provide nearly enough pleasure to make them worth eating -- even on an S day.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu May 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Hoeka wrote:Noticed an older post at the bottom of the page: Oops, I accidentally lost too much weight. What now? :o

Yeah, I'd be so lucky!

Actually this happened to me for real when I first joined NO S a couple years ago. (Had to re-register last summer for some reason, it wouldn't accept my StrawberryRoan name anymore. I went from 160 or so to 132 in a few months, I was so committed to the plan. That was WAY too thin, I aged 20 years. So I ate back up to 145, a better weight for me - body and soul. That stayed steady for months and months then somehow I got back up to 158 so I recommitted and am back down in the high 140s now, will be back at 145 soon - then the problems start again. Maintenance is my issue, always has been - not losing. :roll: If I eat clean, I lose weight, if I start adding in snacks, even healthy ones, I gain.
Berry

BrightAngel

Re: "How to eat dessert and still stay skinny"

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 27, 2011 1:59 pm

KCCC wrote:How to eat dessert and still stay skinny

I love this blog, and have recommended it before.

Most of her recommendations happen naturally with No-S over time, but if you want a jump-start... :)
Thanks KCCC,
I enjoyed it and intend to return often.

For those who think she's TOO restrictive...
her issue is to "still stay skinny"
Most of us are NOT skinny....certainly I'm not thin....
(look at any of my recipe videos at DietHobby).

Fot almost everyone, "staying skinny" takes a ton of effort.

For ME, it takes a great deal of work at limiting my food intake and
eating very small portion sizes for me to STAY in the middle of "normal" weight...
getting thin or skinny isn't even a possibility.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com