This is how it feels to be free!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kittymom

This is how it feels to be free!

Post by kittymom » Fri May 13, 2011 12:27 pm

I posted this at the No S forum on Sparkpeople and thought I'd put it here too.

My mom put me on my first diet when I was six years old. It was a crazy diet where you eat nothing but a can of tuna and some toast for three days and then eat however you want for four days. Needless to say at 36 that was only the beginning of bad dieting for me.
I am at the end of week 5 of No S. Last week didn't go well and I thought I was failing at the simplest diet on earth. But then Monday rolled around and I was back on track without even thinking (I'm blaming last week on fertility drugs and ovulation). I decided that if I have one bad week once in a while I am still doing better than I've done in the last 30 years.

I finally feel free of food. With ever diet program I tried, the program and the food was always in charge. I tried Points, no meat, no carbs, raw, vegan, pills etc. Everything was about giving up good tasting foods. Food controlled my every waking thought. Even sometimes my dreams were about food.

Now I am free. No I did not say I'm skinny. But I'm free. I eat three times a day and refuse to obsess about whether I'm eating carbs or salad dressing with fat in it. I eat to satisfy my hunger and then I stop. I don't even crave chocolate as much. The other day I made a bag of frozen peas to go with our carb-a-licious spaghetti. The peas were so sweet. I'd never noticed before. The next day I made that cursed corn that is supposedly so bad for us. It was sweet too!

If I never lose weight or if I lose it so slowly it takes me 5 years, I will stick with No S because for the first time since I can remember...I AM FREE OF FOOD!

:lol:

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Congratulations, Kittymom on feeling better.
I've long noticed that many people beginning No S enter a similar state of mind.
The concept does feel quite freeing for most people in the initial stages.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 13, 2011 1:14 pm

BrightAngel wrote:Congratulations, Kittymom on feeling better.
I've long noticed that many people beginning No S enter a similar state of mind.
The concept does feel quite freeing for most people in the initial stages.
For many, I think it lasts well beyond the initial stages. :)

KareBear

Free at last

Post by KareBear » Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I have been dieting since I was 11. That was when I started WW. Which lead me to an eating disorder in high school and then so many diets and cycles of start and fail. I want to be free of the constant self loathing when I attempt and fail yet another diet. Additionally, I am so tired of giving that industry my money.

This time around, I am really focusing on getting the habit down. I am not worrying about exercise or how many calories I had in a day (although I do sometimes go over it at night). But if I start to berate myself, I stop and celebrate the good choices I made throughout the day and then move on. I want, more than anything to be done with the cycle of dieting and self hate.

I feel like No S is such a great way to get rid of all the crap I have carried around for 30 years. Heres to us! We are worth it! :)
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri May 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Wow. Thank you for sharing this! That's a big deal.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri May 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Yeah, I've been doing this about two years, and the feeling of freedom and a better relationship with food is still very much there. I don't know how long "initial stages" last, but I figure I'm probably past them.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri May 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Yes, it is amazing to be in control, isn't it?
Good luck on your journey to better health. :wink:
Berry