Guardian article on British eating

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hoeka

Guardian article on British eating

Post by Hoeka » Tue May 10, 2011 10:22 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... s-well-eat

Quite an interesting article, on attitudes to food. (A lesser-known relative of Reinhard's also gets a mention. :wink: )

I loved this quote - hope to get to that point some day:
"I eat what I need and no more; I drink in strict moderation; I make sure always to have plenty of fruit. And I take a brisk three-mile walk every day. That's discipline. Old habits die hard."
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue May 10, 2011 4:08 pm

Lovely article. Thanks, Hoeka.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Very interesting, thanks for sharing it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue May 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Big supermarkets offering a wide variety of quality foods at fair prices are not thick on the ground in deprived inner cities, favouring wealthier suburbs and out-of-town sites for car-owning customers. And shopping from convenience and corner stores can cost up to 13% more for a nutritionally adequate diet, the academics found.
I found this section very interesting and I think the lack of a 'variety of quality foods' doesn't just apply to deprived inner cities. I recently visited Loughborough University - renowned for its sports department. In the campus shop the section selling 'Instant Noodles' was at least 4 times larger than the section selling fresh fruit/veg.... and the fresh section consisted of 2 almost black bananas and a wrinkly tomato. The shop was expensive and it was almost impossible to put together a healthy bought lunch for four of us.

Thanks, KCCC