Time to get to it...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

Time to get to it...

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:58 am

Hello everyone!
Some of you probably remember me. I've followed No-S off and on for the past few years, and eventually went on to lose over 30lbs not following a specific plan, just watching myself and trying not to go overboard. I guess you could say that following No-S made me what Reinhard likes to call "intrinsically moderate", meaning I became one of those people we all hate that can eat whatever they want and stay reasonably thin. Well, I have lost weight, and I have maintained it, but I've done so in a somewhat obsessive way. I weigh myself multiple times per day, and have extreme feelings of guilt if I feel like I've eaten too much (and it's rare that it's ACTUALLY too much). Also, I find myself 'saving up calories' so that I can eat an unhealthy amount of dessert later on. Don't get me wrong, I've formed alot of new healthy habits as well, such as not beating myself up for too long, and getting back on track with the very next meal. That being said, I've always liked No-S because, as a future dietitian, I feel like it's an incredibly sane and realistic way to eat, which are principles that I feel like I may be starting to stray from. So my new goals are this: follow vanilla No-S (it really is the best without mods), exercise 3x per week, and only weigh myself once per week on Friday morning. I'm hoping that voicing my goals on this board (which I read nearly every day) will help keep me accountable! Hold me to it you guys!

Jocelyn

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:46 am

Without meaning to sound harsh, I think you'd do well to untangle your thoughts about food and what you describe as "extreme feelings of guilt if I feel like I've eaten too much (and it's rare that it's ACTUALLY too much)."

Those don't seem like the most positive traits for someone who plans on becoming a dietitian.

Gawd, I sound like an ass, but I really am trying to say this with kindness.

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:24 am

Yes, yes you do.

The thing is, I have the self-awareness to recognize these things about myself, know that they are unreasonable, and attempt to change them. My own feelings about the way I eat have nothing to do with my ability as a health professional or the manner in which I will counsel patients in the future. These feelings are ones that have manifested themselves very recently, and are certainly not capable of undoing the 5 years of work I have put into becoming a dietitan. I am four weeks from graduating with a degree in nutrition, so I see no need to defend myself further. Thanks anyway.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 am

Fair enough.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 pm

ImagePersonally, I enjoy my view of Dieting as a Hobby,
which brings me a great deal of personal satisfaction.

Each of us is a unique and different individual, and
I wish you success in your quest
to achieve the personal Goals that bring you satisfaction.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Melamin

Post by Melamin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:47 pm

xJocelynx87 wrote:Yes, yes you do.

The thing is, I have the self-awareness to recognize these things about myself, know that they are unreasonable, and attempt to change them. My own feelings about the way I eat have nothing to do with my ability as a health professional or the manner in which I will counsel patients in the future. These feelings are ones that have manifested themselves very recently, and are certainly not capable of undoing the 5 years of work I have put into becoming a dietitan. I am four weeks from graduating with a degree in nutrition, so I see no need to defend myself further. Thanks anyway.
I don't think Who Me sounded like an ass at all.
You may be self aware of these feelings, but not dealing with them head on will have an affect on the kind of dietician you can become.If I came to you as a customer, I would NOT expect you to be feeling so extreme and would not have much confidence on your advice.
Sometimes, under times of great stress (such as coming to the end of an course like you have done) we exhibit the worst of ourselves and it may be that revisiting for good habits would have the desired effect.
But sometimes, you gotta deal with the junk too.
And I can say that from personal experience.
Drink Coffee! Do stupid things faster!!

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:16 pm

I get what you're saying...but isn't that what I'm doing? Confronting my problems head on before they even have the ability to affect my practice (I have a lot of things that still need to be done before I will actually be licensed, so nothing is impending). I thought I was coming here for support in being proactive about my physical and emotional well-being, why am I being criticized instead? It amazes me that some people on this board are so amazingly supportive and others, not so much. I will go forward with my goals, but I am kind of offended, so I may just go back to lurking. I feel it suited me better as I have a decent grip on my issues.

Best,
Jocelyn

Mrandy1

Post by Mrandy1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey Jocelyn,

I think no s is a great way for you to modify certain feelings (like extreme guilt) or obsessive behaviors like muliple daily weigh ins--the system itself promotes great habits that can improve not only our emotional well being as well as change habits we don't like--- that's what no s is doing for me.

Anyway I wish you well in your endeavors and I'm sure doing no s will help you in future career.
Mrandy1

Starting weight 3/20/2011: 176
Weight as of 4/23/2011. 169.8
Weight as of 5/5/2011. 169.5
goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

Becoming

Post by Becoming » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:38 pm

I went to see a dietician who had successfully beaten binge eating disorder in her own life. While her eating plan didn't work for me, she gave me key information that helped me to deal with my own binge issues.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:15 pm

xJocelynx87 wrote:I thought I was coming here for support in being proactive about my physical and emotional well-being, why am I being criticized instead?
Hi Jocelyn,
Well, Who Me, said the comment about sounding like an ass, to lighten things up when she gave you her view of how it would be good to deal with the feelings of extreme guilt etc, which i totally agree with, since even tho you will have the scientific training to become a nutritionist, it's just as important, if not more so, to be very grounded psychologically and emotionally, about your relationship with food, if you are going to be a good mentor to others.
the fact that you reacted as you did, saying "Yes, yes you do" about sounding like an ass, shows you aren't being very open minded, and defensive. I'm not trying to attack you now, but imagine if a client came to you, and said something similar. Would you tell them they sound like an ass, and shut the conversation down, or would you try to take what they were saying positively, not get defensive, and develop a relationship with them?
i don't know either of you really, but i was totally turned off by that "Yes, yes you do" comment, especially since Who Me wrote that nice thing about saying what she did with love and that she didn't want to come across as harsh.
As for some people get support and some don't, well I personally found her comment supportive. You might have felt attacked, but I'm sure she didn't mean it to come across that way. It sounds like you have a very typical "dieting" attitude towards eating, and I think that NoS will be a great step in helping you overcome those old mind sets.
Congratulations on your 30 lbs down and I wish you all the best in your future as a dietician :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:53 pm

I wanted to take this moment to apologize because I really really did nit mean to be hurtful.

Please forgive me for causing pain.

Melamin

Post by Melamin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:
xJocelynx87 wrote:I thought I was coming here for support in being proactive about my physical and emotional well-being, why am I being criticized instead?
Hi Jocelyn,
Well, Who Me, said the comment about sounding like an ass, to lighten things up when she gave you her view of how it would be good to deal with the feelings of extreme guilt etc, which i totally agree with, since even tho you will have the scientific training to become a nutritionist, it's just as important, if not more so, to be very grounded psychologically and emotionally, about your relationship with food, if you are going to be a good mentor to others.
the fact that you reacted as you did, saying "Yes, yes you do" about sounding like an ass, shows you aren't being very open minded, and defensive. I'm not trying to attack you now, but imagine if a client came to you, and said something similar. Would you tell them they sound like an ass, and shut the conversation down, or would you try to take what they were saying positively, not get defensive, and develop a relationship with them?
i don't know either of you really, but i was totally turned off by that "Yes, yes you do" comment, especially since Who Me wrote that nice thing about saying what she did with love and that she didn't want to come across as harsh.
As for some people get support and some don't, well I personally found her comment supportive. You might have felt attacked, but I'm sure she didn't mean it to come across that way. It sounds like you have a very typical "dieting" attitude towards eating, and I think that NoS will be a great step in helping you overcome those old mind sets.
Congratulations on your 30 lbs down and I wish you all the best in your future as a dietician :)
[love]

I'm sorry if you believe I was attacking you Jocelyn...I honestly think it is great that you came back :)
My comment was simply to say that all the habits in the world wont change anything if you don't deal with the emotional stuff too.
If you don't feel that relates to you, then that is fine, but I would be exploring where these feelings are coming from in relation to food because if I knew you in real life,I would be incredibly concerned for you.
x
Drink Coffee! Do stupid things faster!!

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm

It's forgotten, I'm over it. But you had to have known that your comments had the chance to be perceived the wrong way, otherwise you would not have made the comment about looking like an ass, so try to put yourself in my shoes. I think I am doing the right thing by coming here and trying to get back to the healthy habits that I had successfully practiced for years up until very recently, only to be told, in nicer terms, that I am pretty much not competent to practice in a field that I am not only very deeply in love with, but also have a great deal of experience in (I wrestled with an eating disorder from about 18-21). For the most part, I have lost (in a very healthy way, aside from being a bit obsessive from time to time) and maintained a 35lb weight loss, putting me right in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height. That alone, coupled with nearly 5 years of education and training in nutrition communication and counseling, and above all, INSIGHT as to what my own (minor) problems are, make me competent as a dietitian and health professional. If you don't think so based on one previous post, then I feel sorry for you because you're walking through life judging people waaaay too quickly (something I am also guilty of).

Rant over.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:36 pm

One quick thought is that being supportive of someone doesnt mean to say great job all the time, its telling someone the truth.
I hope things go well for you as a dietician.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 pm

True, but given the fact that being here can only doing positive things for my eating habits (otherwise we wouldn't all be here), I thought my post would elicit a more positive response, that's all.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:33 am

I think people were expressing concearn. I just reread you OP. I think its good you have come here for some help and accountability. In many ways you are uniquly qualified to help someone struggling with disorderd eating becuase you have actually been there.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy