Biggest Loser starts again tonight and makes me love NoS!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gnm

Biggest Loser starts again tonight and makes me love NoS!!

Post by gnm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:00 pm

The Biggest Loser starts again tonight and while I am a huge fan - the show seems to motivate me - I am even more so since I am No-S-ing! This is because I CAN have treats - not imposters substituting as the real sweet that I want - on S days! I could not be successful if Bob or Jillian told me that I had to have cheesecake flavored yogurt because the real thing is off limits for the rest of my life if I ever want to be my ideal weight!! No way - i like the goodies too much!
The testimonials on the this sight are the proof that you can live normally without deprivation. I am sorry, but interrupting my life to eat 6 times a day while keeping each meal at 250 calories is no way to live! Thank goodness for this plan - it is DO-ABLE!!!

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Anytime I see that show, I can't help but feel pity for the ridiculous regimen those contestants are forced through. And clearly plans like that don't work in the long-term, since most contestants end up gaining back a lot of the weight.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm glad you posted this. When I checked in here around 6:45 p.m.,
I didn't realize the new Biggest Loser Season was starting.
I immediately set my DVR to record the series.
Although I disagree with the principles, I still find it fascinating...like watching a train wreck.
Thanks.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 pm

I watched a couple of seasons but then gave up on it. The basic idea of having a weight loss competition just seems wrong and I don't like the way they often make fun of the contestants.

I remember the episode where I stopped watching, a super heavy guy was using a wheel barrow to move a huge cake from one place to the next, miles away, really, walking in the hot sun ... I just had to turn it off cos' I couldn't take it anymore. :-)

I watch many weight loss shows but never those where people are competing with each other, voting people off for no good reason, people getting immunity and then gaining 15 pounds of water weight at the next weigh in so they can lose it fast next time, contestants tempted with sweets, etc. If I would list everything I dislike about that show it would take me a loooooooooooong time, lol ! ;-)

This is too extreme, super fat people working out hard 6-7 hours per day, I'm surprised nobody has died yet.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 191 Pounds

janie47

Post by janie47 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:30 am

I never like watching the show because I just couldn't imagine doing that difficult of exercise carrying all that weight. I used to weigh 322 pounds, and that would absolutely kill me to do exercise like they make them do! I have noticed several do gain their weight back. I am very surprised no one has dropped over from a heart attack yet.

Janie

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:17 am

One WINNER on the show even gained all their weight back. One of the contestants went on a talk show after the season (in one of the older seasons, Shay) and said she still works out 6 hours a day to lose weight. Sooo then to keep it off wouldn't she have to work out 6 hours a day for the rest of her life probably? Since she's already only eating 1200 calories (correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they make all the contestants eat only 1,200 calories and work out all day?). The biggest loser is just crazy. Actually, the No S diet has made me think most other diets are pretty much a joke now though.

I still watch the show for entertainment and motivation, but the thing I hate about it is the ones who need to truly be there get voted off. Like in this season's opener, for example. Did anyone else notice that the biggest people lost the little competitions that determined who would be the contestants? No duh someone who weighs 400 pounds will not be able to run a mile faster then or step faster then someone who weights 250.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:28 pm

The good thing about The Biggest Loser: it shows people with large amounts of weight to lose that it can be done.

The bad thing about The Biggest Loser: what they do to lose weight (the diet and the huge amounts of time devoted to exercise) is impossible for the overwhelming majority of people. Eating and exercising have to become your job the way they do it. In addition, I think it's unhealthy to lose that much that quickly.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Samantha wrote:One WINNER on the show even gained all their weight back. One of the contestants went on a talk show after the season (in one of the older seasons, Shay) and said she still works out 6 hours a day to lose weight. Sooo then to keep it off wouldn't she have to work out 6 hours a day for the rest of her life probably? Since she's already only eating 1200 calories (correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they make all the contestants eat only 1,200 calories and work out all day?). The biggest loser is just crazy. Actually, the No S diet has made me think most other diets are pretty much a joke now though.
She needs to exercise 6 hours a day and says she's still eating only 1,200 calories? That's got to be a mistake. Maybe she thinks she's only eating 1,200 calories, but if that's the amount she was really eating, she'd have no energy--nor the need--to exercise for such a ridiculous amount of time.

Happyhomemama

Post by Happyhomemama » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:51 pm

I fear that the show is more could possibly be more of a discouragement, especially for the morbidly obese, even more so if they can't exercise for whatever reason. I imagine many watch it and think they could never eat that way or exercise like that so they give up before even trying. Sad. :(
Deanna in WA
Mom of 6
5'4" 38 yo
Started No S 8/9/2010
SW: 179.4 (9/5, no scale prior) :)
Began Calorie Counting 10/4 & 178 lbs
CW: 176.6
1st goal: 160
Final Goal: 130

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:11 pm

I've never actually seen the show.

What I like about it (from a distance): the very clever name.

What I dislike about it: the very clever name.

If I am the sort of person who enjoys watching the humiliation of "losers," I don't care to admit it to myself so frankly.

Reinhard

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Rather critical New York Times article on The Biggest Loser:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/busin ... loser.html

Some contestants confess to dehydrating themselves to lose weight. A professor of internal medicine is quoted as saying "I'm waiting for the first person to have a heart attackâ€.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:42 am

marygrace wrote:Anytime I see that show, I can't help but feel pity for the ridiculous regimen those contestants are forced through. And clearly plans like that don't work in the long-term, since most contestants end up gaining back a lot of the weight.
I agree. I can't force myself through an episode. That Ms. Micheals is going to get herself punched in the chops one of these seasons.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79