Diabetes?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oliviamanda

Diabetes?

Post by oliviamanda » Tue May 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Just wanted to find out some information. My mother-in-law has just been diagnosed with the early stages of Type 2 Diabetes. I haven't been able to convert her to No S mainly because she has to snack. Fortunately, she eats only fruits and nuts as snacks, but now with her diagnosis she really has to modify her diet.

Does anyone have any tips whatsoever about eating and Type 2 Diabetes, as far as sample meal plans, etc. Can No S be done? She does need to lose weight and she has been doing a good job at it. I think that with the right kind of balance in her diet, she will see greater success.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue May 11, 2010 3:43 pm

I don't see any reason why No-S can't be used by a diabetic.I found this while looking for something else recently. Scroll down to Kevin's post.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue May 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks for the link, it's really interesting. She doesn't have to take insulin, she just has to alter her diet. Eat 3 meals and 2 "snack" meals to regulate her blood sugar.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue May 11, 2010 9:31 pm

oliviamanda wrote:Thanks for the link, it's really interesting. She doesn't have to take insulin, she just has to alter her diet. Eat 3 meals and 2 "snack" meals to regulate her blood sugar.
Okay...if she's not on medication, she can do No-S. The "snacks" to regulate blood sugar are generally to keep it from getting too low when on medication.

I just went to the American Diabetes Association web site. They have a meal planning site. I don't know if you've read how I plan my meals: 1/2 vegetables on the plate, 1/4 meat and 1/4 starch. That's exactly what they say to do. They suggest drinking milk with meals, but if you don't drink milk you can add a serving of yogurt or another small serving of starch. Add a piece of fruit and the meal is complete. For breakfast they suggest half starch plus a serving of protein and fruit.

You might find this interesting, too. This, too.

I'll have to admit that I didn't look very closely, but I didn't see anything about snacks!

I don't see where they address things like casseroles and such. For a "mixed dish" like that, I allow about 1-1½ cups plus more vegetables.

Over the years I've read in several sources that exercise is equally and maybe more important than diet in blood sugar control. Exercise helps the cells use glucose. It doesn't have to be much -- 30-60 minutes of walking daily will do it and that can be broken up into 2 or more sessions.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:01 am

another nod to the American Diabetes Association for great information.

I don't know if she is for or against medication but my roommate was diagnosed with diabetes and ate really healthy but just couldn't get the weight to come down. He started a drug called Metformin and along with the healthy eating he dropped 8 lbs in about 2 weeks. Might be something to consider talking to a doctor about.

My roommate was also able to go to a nutritionist through his insurance and learned a lot of great tips for how to eat and the balance of carbs/protein/veggies. My whole household has switched to more diabetic friendly foods and we're all noticing an increase in weight loss. We're still able to eat our favorite foods too (just smaller portions ;) )
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.