Having trouble my second week

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lilguysmama

Having trouble my second week

Post by lilguysmama » Tue May 04, 2010 5:28 pm

I had started the No S Diet last Monday and I did really well the first 5 days. t I lost 4.5 lbs and I felt so much better all around.
Then the weekend came, and didn't do so well. ( I'm grazer, I nibble on stuff all day long).
When Monday came I had a hard time starting up again. Has anyone had this problem too? I'm getting frustrated with myself.

How do you really do the weekends, without over doing it?

thanks

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Many many people overdo the weekends at first. That is so totally okay and completely normal. Seriously. One day, you'll have a weekend when you just plain don't want to have any S-events for whatever reason and you'll wonder just how that happened! S days are the least of your worries at first. Worry about N-days. You would not BELIEVE some of my early S-days. Last weekend, I just didn't really feel all that much like snacking or sweets, so I didn't. Seconds have never been my thing. Trust the process for a few months before you start worrying.

Your problem with Monday is very likely a habit thing, you know. If you're a permasnacker (heavens know I was!), that's a pretty strong habit and it's going to take awhile to break.

KCCC commented in another thread that a good way to combat Monday being hard is to have some N-day meals (stuff that isn't a sweet that you'd eat at a meal) that are foods you like and look forward to. I second this. It's a big help.

Secondly? It's been a week. That your habits aren't yet solid is perfectly normal. It really does get easier.

Here are some things that have helped me break the snack habit:

1. Fruity-tasting teas. Celestial Seasoning's Wildberry Zinger is a favorite. It has a taste reminiscent to me of my low taste for pink sweet wine.

2. Eat a large enough meal. Don't nibble on some celery sticks and expect not to start wondering how your cat would taste! Have a meal.

3. You've trained your appetite like a fond, but overindulgent parent. It's okay, we all did or we wouldn't need to be here. But, like a parent who has decided to be more firm and disciplined gets some serious rebellion out of the kids, you're going to get some internal rebellion. Be gentle but firm with yourself. You've used self-discipline in other areas of your life and practiced new skills. This is really no different.

Think in the long term. Ideally, what you're aiming for is No-S habits forever, so you don't have to be in a rush weight-loss wise.[/i]
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

lilguysmama

Post by lilguysmama » Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks for your advise NoelFigart. Im hoping this will work out for me. And it seems simple enough to do. But hard to not nipple on everything, expecially when my little boy has a pm snack.

I'll start again in the morning.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 04, 2010 6:23 pm

AUUUGHHH!!!! NOOOO!!!!!! *SCREECH* *FAINTS*

Start again NOW. Seriously.

I know I'm being overly dramatic, but one of the best lessons I learned here on this board was when I screwed up, NOT to throw in the towel until some arbitrary date, but to get back up, dust myself off and go ahead with the habits I wanted THAT VERY SECOND. If I could remember who said it first, I'd credit them, because it's brilliant and a fantastic tool to form habits.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

lilguysmama

Post by lilguysmama » Tue May 04, 2010 6:41 pm

So I just pick it up with my dinner tonight. Well that does make sense.

thanks

lilguysmama

Post by lilguysmama » Thu May 06, 2010 9:11 pm

im still having a hard time. I do good until the early afternoon. On day 4 of failure. :(

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 06, 2010 9:15 pm

What makes you fail in the early afternoon?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Graham

Re: Having trouble my second week

Post by Graham » Fri May 07, 2010 9:15 am

lilguysmama wrote:I had started the No S Diet last Monday and I did really well the first 5 days. t I lost 4.5 lbs and I felt so much better all around.
Then the weekend came, and didn't do so well. ( I'm grazer, I nibble on stuff all day long).
When Monday came I had a hard time starting up again. Has anyone had this problem too? I'm getting frustrated with myself.

How do you really do the weekends, without over doing it?

thanks
I was struck by how much weight you lost in those first 5 days - it makes me think there must have been a big difference between how you normally eat, and how much you normally eat, and the No S regime. Then comes the weekend, you "didn't do so well" - what did you mean by that? Did you eat lots? After losing 4.5lbs in 5 days, maybe that's no surprise.

With No S there's no rush to lose the lbs - do you feel you have to lose weight quickly? If the difference between S days and No S days weren't so big, perhaps it would be easier to get back to No S on a Monday.

Were you comfy on the No S days? Do you need to put more on your plate or change what goes on it for those 3 daily meals so the contrast isn't so big between S and No S days? I think that might be an area you could explore to make No S easier to do - after all, you have a life-time to get it right.

lilguysmama

Post by lilguysmama » Fri May 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks everyone.
It was hard for me the first 5 days. I deal with sever depression and i'm a emotional eater too. Im trying hard not to go to food for comfort. I need to get this under control cause i have a 16 month old son that needs his mama. And its really hard right now for me to do things with him being really over weight. I've trying weight watchers and counting calories which did work but its a real pain to count calories and points. This plan really sounds good if i can get myself not to snack between. But yeah i do eat more then i should.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Sat May 08, 2010 4:00 pm

lilguysmama wrote:Thanks everyone.
It was hard for me the first 5 days. I deal with sever depression and i'm a emotional eater too. Im trying hard not to go to food for comfort. I need to get this under control cause i have a 16 month old son that needs his mama. And its really hard right now for me to do things with him being really over weight. I've trying weight watchers and counting calories which did work but its a real pain to count calories and points. This plan really sounds good if i can get myself not to snack between. But yeah i do eat more then i should.
What things are hard with being overweight? For me, I find that things are hard with depression--the size of my body is not what holds me back, but the lack of spark.

best of luck, and I'm really impressed that you are learning to skip comfort food--yay!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Please don't be offended, but there are no promises that this is going to be easy. Just easier, in the long run, than traditional dieting.

The National Weight Loss Registry says that most people had failed multiple times before being successful. It also reports that relapse is less likely the longer the person has not had a relapse. It seems like the reaction would be, well, duh. The point is people keep looking for something that starts and stays easy. Almost nothing does, and it is rarely the plan, but a combination of the plan, a person's motivation, and life situations that lead to continued success.

I failed, after my first 3-week streak, for 14 months before I had any success (4 months) on this and I am still working out the details, mainly S days. I'm convinced I will be able to keep to this and lose another 20 lbs., which is all I want.

I think you'll find your way. Do it for yourself and your family.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lilguysmama

Post by lilguysmama » Sat May 08, 2010 8:23 pm

I know what you mean about the lack of spark Clarica. But all I can do is keep on trying.