Less than one week in

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Royce

Less than one week in

Post by Royce » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:13 pm

And I'm finding this to be one of the hardest things I've ever done. I'm using habitcal to log my habit. It's becoming glaringly obvious that I have alot of habit reforming to do.

I can't delude myself into thinking I'm pretty compliant with a workout routine or diet when the little red marks are staring me in the face.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:27 pm

At least you are building up some useful information, and tracking your habits honestly, which should help you to make the changes you want to make.

Most people find that the first three weeks is the hardest, so things should look up over time.

Very best wishes.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Just think how wonderful you will feel when you accomplish one of the hardest things you have ever done! And you're not alone. In our culture, apparently it's one of the hardest things more than 50% of the population now hasn't done.

Keep your eyes on the prize: freedom from the clutches of food!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

paprad

newbie from india

Post by paprad » Fri May 07, 2010 9:51 am

Hi, I stumbled onto Everyday Systems when I was intrigued by Shovelglove - and it inspired me to go and get one made immediately (where I live in India, sledgehammers aren't easy to buy) - and then found the NoS diet. It went so against all the wisdom I had learnt about snacking - it really made me reflect on all the unsuccessful diets I've been on for over 15 years. As someone else posted on this forum - it's depressing at one level to assess how much of my time and life's energy I've put on battling my weight - and what's ironic is that well into my mid 20s I never fluctuated more than 1-2 kg (sorry, metric system in India!) until I sort of breached the thermostat with one depressed year in which I put on 8 kg. Since then, and post baby, I've steadily gained weight, till I now have menopause staring at me and the threat of an even slower metabolism. I've tried so many diets : low-carb (couldn't abide by it because I am not a huge meat eater), low-fat (didn't make a dent), went to 3-4 dietician monitored routines (I'd lose 2 kg and then plateau). But right through there has been the whole snacking routine. And I find via googling that the first few studies that praised nibbling over gorging (why do they frame it as gorging? 3 meals are not gorging?) came out in 1989 - just when I began nibbling. Prior to that I pretty much stuck to 3 meals a day and I kept my weight fairly intact. Also found to my horror that the "seminal" study looked at 7 men, and compared 3 meals to 17 snacks - as if that is in anyway a reflection of normal life.

I began NoS this week - and it has been mixed. I find it easy till evening - and then around 4/5 the pangs set in - and I am unable to wait till dinner time. I read about 4 meals being okay but I worry that I will just end up eating one more meal. Anyway, I am filled with hope that this might finally give for me what all the other diets didn't - freedom from the tyranny of worrying about food and a kind of self-loathing of body that could metabolize food well and seems positively inefficient now. I'd love to go back to me 20 years ago when I ate pretty much everything and still stayed trim and energetic. Here's to that hope.
getting there

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Welcome, Prapad. Do whatever you can to try to get the gap between your lunch and evening meal to the point where you can wait to eat unless it is reasonable for you to basically pick at dinner. I think your body will respond after awhile.

I know what you mean about all those years. But I'm glad I'm here now. I think you will be, too.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

paprad

Post by paprad » Fri May 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Sorry, everyone, I realized a tad belatedly that I have goofed and replied to a topic rather than started a topic of my own. I have been lurking for a few days and I found this such a hugely supportive forum, I thought I'd pipe in. I guess it will take me a little while to read all the threads and update myself.

oolala53, thank you for your warm welcome and the message of hope. I look forward to hanging out here with all of you.
getting there

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Sat May 08, 2010 12:37 am

Prapad you make an excellent point. Why are diets with no snacking termed gorging?