Holidy Blues

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lorifay

Holidy Blues

Post by Lorifay » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:11 am

Hi: I've been on the No S Diet for about 2 1/2 weeks and have been doing very well....until this week! There is so much Holiday food around I just can't resist. I've done ok until yesterday. Cookies, candy, YIKES! I'm not going to be to hard on myself, but I am worried about next week. Bad habits are formed so quickly. By the way, I've lost 9 lbs so far in only 2 weeks. This diet works. And as an added plus, my rosacea has cleared up. Weird but true. I think it's the "no sugar" part. Thanks.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:11 am

It isn't "no sugar", it's "no sweets."

This is probably the hardest time of the year for everyone, unless you live in a cave. I've found that it's the time leading up to Christmas that is the worst -- between Christmas and New Year's isn't so bad.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you've done great!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Anything you manage to do at this food-laden time of year will be more than whatever you would've done if you had not at least tried to stick with No-S. Do the best you can and enjoy your holidays!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Knowing that Christmas and holiday goodies have been my downfall in years past - even during one previous time doing NoS - I knew I would have to head into this year's holidays with a plan in place. This is what I decided to do, knowing that it is much better than totally *falling off the wagon.* I will eat three meals a day - no snacks, BUT if there are situations where sweets are tempting me, I can have one reasonable serving - no seconds. I have had to fall back on this plan three times already this week in situations where maybe I really could have gotten in trouble. So I feel very good about what I did, having three reasonable servings of goodies, and know that in January I can get back to vanilla NoS without any serious damage weight-wise to correct.
Best wishes Lorifay with your NoS journey.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Yes, this is the toughest time. Great job on the 9 lb loss and rosacea clear-up! I agree there should be a plan in place. I miraculously got through all the goodies left out at work the last two weeks. I am not going to beat myself up about what I eat in the next few days for Christmas, but I already feel like I am doing well and I really don't want to stuff my face with everything that comes along my plate path. Good luck everyone!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:16 pm

Just plug along as best you can. More normal days are coming that will help you build stronger habit. Next Christmas won't be as bad.

Just keep it up and don't kick yourself too much.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:10 am

I've been going through a combination of what everyone is saying here. Take it as it comes - figure I'm doing as well as I can for now - and reminding myself that these days will be over and things will be back to 'normal' soon - and Next year will be so much easier!

Lorifay

whew!

Post by Lorifay » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:49 am

Well...it's almost over and I did have a couple of "bad" days. Lots of peanut butter balls....my downfall. But, I am actually looking forward to Monday when things get back to "normal". Question: Do you guys weigh every day..or is that a bad idea? I have been and notice that when I lose it's a boost, but if I gain it's a day killer. Whatcha think?

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:10 am

I used to weigh every day, now I just got on my Wii, so that is still weighing myself, but I know no matter what the scale says, I am about to exercise! You don't need to do this on No S, but I think it's helpful. If I am "overweight" vs "normal" as I am on the borderline, I think it sucks when it's up, but it actually makes me try harder to stick to my No S and try to speed up my metabolism.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

oolala53

re:weighing every day

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:48 am

As with most things, it depends on how you use it. If you drive yourself crazy with guilt or euphoria over your weight, it's a bad idea. If you use it to simply record your weight and then perhaps periodically examine it in relation to the more important measures of progress, then it's probably a good idea. But the daily result of weighing is very misleading. I don't mean to cause any competition, but at the site PhysicsDiet.com, you can weigh in every day and after a period of time, you can see both your daily record on a graph as well as your trend-up, down, or maintaining. (I don't recommend that site's approach to weight loss.) I think it's more sane and definitely more reasonable, even scientific than once a week weighing. However, for your purposes here, your weight is almost irrelevant. It would be more important if you were following the principles of NoS for a month or two, but not experiencing any difference in how your clothes fit. Possible, but not likely.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:00 am

I weigh when I go to the doctor or our company makes us get health evaluations. Sometimes I weigh at my parents' house on their scale.

Otherwise I rely on my pants (a far more accurate metric).
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett