French Fry Guilt

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jumbotights

French Fry Guilt

Post by jumbotights » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Ok, my first full day on the no s plan and i have to admit that my lunch consisted of french fries. not the most nutritious thing, but dang they were so good. after atkins, they tasted like heaven. anyhow, they were one plate, no seconds and they were not a snack, am i ok?

nos_vroom

Post by nos_vroom » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:17 pm

You certainly could have ate something better. I tend to limit my starchy food to about 1/3 of a plate, unless it is whole grain based. But you stuck to the rules of the diet, that's the important thing. Mind you that the plate was a plate and not a platter or stacked 4 inches high with french fries.

la_loser

One plate is one plate--A-OK!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Welcome to both of you.

You were absolutely OK--this eating plan does not restrict WHAT you eat so on N days so long as your meal consists of only one plate of food and isn't made up of desserts!

You could have even had the burger to go with it! They should have tasted like "freedom fries" since you have the freedom to choose whatever you want to eat on No S.

Initially on No S, the most important thing to do is to establish your habits so just concentrate eating your three (most people have three meals) per day with no eating between meals and no sweets. Then on the weekends you get to have whatever you want. Once you have managed to establish those habits really well, you can turn your attention perhaps to what sort of foods you are choosing . . . but many people on No S have found success when they simply eliminate the snacks and the seconds and the sweets five days a week.

Also, a snack is defined by when you eat a particular food, not what the food is. i.e. Chips in the middle of the afternoon are a snack; chips on the plate with your sandwich and a nice juicy pickle for lunch create one of your plated meals.

And yes nos_vroom is right in that the portion size should not consist of a humongous pile of fries. . . but it's not unusual for someone to have pretty large plates at the beginning because we have to learn to figure out how much we must eat in order to hold us till the next meal.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:06 pm

You're doing fine.
I am currently relishing a large plate of steak cut fries.. real ones okay?? Not the little teeny stringy ones from Micky D's..
I'm also having a luscious fresh beef empanada, and I smothered the fries in garlic herb olive oil, and fresh tomato salsa.
I would only suggest to you that you have some protein on your plate along with your fries, because it's more nutritionally balanced and will be much more satisfying.
Enjoy and no need for guilt! :wink:
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

princesspamf

amount of food

Post by princesspamf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 pm

"but it's not unusual for someone to have pretty large plates at the beginning because we have to learn to figure out how much we must eat in order to hold us till the next meal."

I appreciate you saying that so I know it is not just me. I've been very worried about having enough--just started on Sunday--and really given myself too much. I'm already feeling the fear inside me tone down and am hoping it will gradually disappear...and I'm spending a little time thinking about why I have it in the first place. = )

Pam
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi again, just a few more things.
NoS is about eating *normally*!!! I mean, sure, use common sense, but as long as it's on a plate and it's not a brownie ala mode, it's okay.
Good luck deprogramming yourself from *evil* french fry hating Atkins Jumbotights! :mrgreen:
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

jumbotights

Post by jumbotights » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Thank you so much! It actually does feel like I am going through some de-programming. I am going to really focus on the 3 steps, do them well, then adjust my portions down if need be. Thanks again for all the support, you are fabulous all of you for helping me like this.