One of those goofy newbie questions . . .

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mounted Ranger!

One of those goofy newbie questions . . .

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:19 am

I'm about 1/2 through the book so maybe it's answered there and I haven't yet seen it. If so, I apologize.

I do love to have a smoothie. My basic formula is about 8 oz of (100% fruit) juice, 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt, a banana, and plenty of frozen fruit (usually berries). I generally drink part and freeze the rest for popcicles for my daughter. I like it with a handful of nuts on the side.

So, my question is this: How do I figure this for a meal? If I wanted, say, a smoothie with a handful of nuts or a piece of toast with pb, how would I make that a plateful of food? It doesnt' seem quite fair to eat a plateful of nuts or toast and peanutbutter and then call the smoothie a beverage. er, does it?

Thanks, guys!
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:49 am

If I have a decent sized smoothie with the "works" in it I often find that is a meal, usually breakfast.

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 am

I'd count it together with the nuts/toast as a meal. With all the yogurt etc it's not really a beverage.

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:38 am

On second thought, I think you might want to consider "plating" the ingredients before you put them in the blender. (In other words, put the yogurt, banana, fruit, etc. on a plate). If it fills up the plate, I'd call it a meal in itself. If there's room for nuts or whatever, go for it. But I think blending artificially reduces the volume of the food and thereby tricks your eyes.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:00 am

Enjoy your smoothie and handful of nuts. Sound like a nice refreshing breakfast.

As far as "plating" is concerned, I would figure it this way:

OJ: beverage (8 oz is little high, 6 oz is a more typical serving, but not overdoing it in my opinion.)

Plate: 1/2 c. yogurt, banana, pile of berries, handful of nuts/pb on toast. This seems perfectly reasonable to me.....

I wouldn't have the nuts AND the toast, though...

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 pm

I make smoothies with 1 cup soya milk, 1 scoop protein powder, ground flax seeds and fruit (e.g. chopped apple, frozen berries). I don't feel that this is a meal in itself though, so usually add a small plate of something to go with it, such as 1 slice toast with PB or a small bowl of oatmeal.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:37 pm

I make smoothies now and then too, for breakfast.

I drink it out of a wineglass which helps keep the size down -- half a glass looks very full -- and reminds me by association that this is potent stuff. It also makes it seem fancier and by a sort of gastronomic placebo effect makes it taste better. (I also do this with the fresh squeezed fruit juice I often drink also -- my 4 year old daughter drinks it from a cordial glass).

And I try to keep the solid portion of the meal on the modest size. A smaller plate can help.

What you're doing sounds totally fine and I wouldn't worry about it.

Reinhard