Got any healthy rhubarb recipes?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Got any healthy rhubarb recipes?

Post by ~reneew » Wed May 27, 2009 6:27 pm

I have tons of rhubarb and want to use it, but other than my jam... all I can come up with that looks good is crunch, crisp, cake and all sugary stuff. Does anyone have good and healthy recipes for it? Maybe a not too sugary bread or something... any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

harpista

Post by harpista » Wed May 27, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Renee

It is very nice in muffins. It is also nice as a stewed fruit compote over, say, baked apples or poached pears.

Also, baking soda will reduce the acidity and thus the need for sugar in your fruity baked goods (1/8 tsp for very small item, 1/4 tsp average, 1/2 tsp MAX for a huge batch of something). I have reduced sugar in a mixed fruit crisp, by up to 2/3!!, using this method. Be careful to start small and increase over several experiments, though. You can "neuter" the fruit and then it is too bland.

Edited to add:
I use this method in pie, crumble and crisp; toss or sprinkle the fruit with the sugar and/or flour and/or starch as usual, but add the teensy bit of baking soda.
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Well, it's such a tart taste that I really feel you have to put some sugar with it and maybe consider it an S..
Try just boiling it mixed with frozen strawberries and some sugar and water and eating that chilled.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed May 27, 2009 9:00 pm

http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05 ... -and-ribs/

http://www.culinate.com/search/q,ctype= ... soda/93867 There are some tasty sounding rhubarb recipes at culinate. The rhubarb custard pie is nearly identical to a rhubarb cream pie recipe I got from my mil 30+ years ago. I made if for the first time in a long time over the weekend. Excellent!

http://www.culinate.com/search?ctype=re ... da&x=3&y=9
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed May 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Bittman's recipes are really reliable, in my experience. I love him.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 am

Thalia wrote:Bittman's recipes are really reliable, in my experience. I love him.
Me, too. I also really love Ina Garten/The Barefoot Contessa. I've yet to have one of her recipes fail me.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 28, 2009 4:27 pm

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri May 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Yum, thanks! I'll try some of these...keep them coming!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me