My scale is a piece of crap!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

My scale is a piece of crap!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Well it is! :twisted:

Can any of you recommend an *accurate* scale that doesn't cost 200 dollars.

This one we have seems to give a different number depending on how you stand on it, and I just checked now and got five different readouts with a range of about 5 lbs from the lowest to highest.
I get the feeling this is just not a good scale.
When you are losing one or two pounds a week or less, it would be nice to not see such wide swings in numbers on the scale depending on if I am putting my weight on my toes or my heels or whatever..
I swear, if this wasn't my Moms scale, I'd be in the backyard smashing it to bits with my Shovelglove like I did years ago with my last bad scale!!!
:mrgreen:

I don't have lots of money to waste on another piece of garbage.
So please leave me your recommendations here if you have any.
Thank you guys! :wink:
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:12 pm

Back when I was trying to lose 1/2 pound per week, I did a lot of research on scales and bought the Seca. No matter how many times I stand on the thing, I cannot get much variety in weight. This morning, I must have stood on it 20 times and got a reading of either 202 or 202.2. Some days, I can get a variation of up to .6 pounds, especially if I lift it up and put it down again. I paid under $200. It's nice to know that variation in weight is not due to the scale.

https://www.seca-online.com/Digital-per ... ?&L=1&C=us

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:15 pm

I have a Taylor and realized, after I bought it, that it only measures half-pound increments -- gee, maybe I should have read the box copy more closely!

I can't decide whether that's a good thing or a bad one. I think I might obsess more than I already do if it was showing finer variations, but on the other hand it leaves more room for mind-f'ing.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:44 pm

Thalia wrote:I have a Taylor and realized, after I bought it, that it only measures half-pound increments -- gee, maybe I should have read the box copy more closely!

I can't decide whether that's a good thing or a bad one. I think I might obsess more than I already do if it was showing finer variations, but on the other hand it leaves more room for mind-f'ing.
Hi Thalia :)
Hmmm not really sure what that means.. I don't care if it averages up or down a half pound. I only care that I'm not seeing 245 one moment and then 250 the next...
I just want it to be somewhat accurate.

Thanks Kathleen!
I'll have a look into those.
It's an investment I don't want to waste honestly.

Everyone mentions this one fancy brand, which I can't remember the name right now.. starts with a "T"...
But as I recall, I think they are very pricy.

Thanks again!
8) Debs

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:57 pm

The fancy brand is Tanita, and they ARE pricy!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Yeah Tanita was the one.
Kathleen, I couldn't find the prices or where to buy them.
Sorry to bother you, but, since you are satisfied with yours, do you mind mentioning which model you use?
I just want simple.
I don't care if it gives me my BMI etc..
Thanks guys!
8) Debs

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:37 pm

I bought one for 35$ and I am very pleased with it. Always gives the same number even if I try 4-5 times in a row. Balls on accurate, large LCD display too, and the range is 0.2 pound, I like that better than the 0.5 pound range ...more precise.

It's a :

Home Collections Electronic Bathroom Scale
Easy-to-read LCD display; Four-sensor technology for accuracy; Capacity: 330 lb/150 kg. (Product# 63-8709-8 )

Might be hard to find in the USA though. I found it here in Canada.
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/063 ... eviews.htm

Scale tips : Make sure the scale is on a flat hard surface, right on the floor, not on the carpet ... the scale on the carpet can make you up to 5 pounds 'lighter' instantly ... ;-) Always use the same scale too and stick with that one. Always weigh yourself at the same time of the day ... always the same ritual, no clothing, no water, bathroom break right before stepping on the scale, etc. This is how you get the most precise number.
Last edited by bluebunny27 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Maybe I should see if my scale will give me different numbers if I get off and get back on. I bet that would cheer me up!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Thanks Marc, I'll have a look for those.

Thalia,,,,the changing numbers is *precisely* what doesn't cheer me up!
I really want to be realistic and not be fooling myself with false readouts, even if they say I lost weight! What good is that, then if only a few moments later it says I gained!!

I have *enough* problems with moodswings! LOL :wink:

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:05 pm

No, no, I would get on until I saw a number I liked, and then I'd stay the hell away from the scale! :wink:

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Thalia wrote:No, no, I would get on until I saw a number I liked, and then I'd stay the hell away from the scale! :wink:
That sounds like a good plan... if I lean against the bath or the basin, I might be able to get a number I like!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:
Thalia wrote:No, no, I would get on until I saw a number I liked, and then I'd stay the hell away from the scale! :wink:
That sounds like a good plan... if I lean against the bath or the basin, I might be able to get a number I like!
Hahah!!
Yeah, I did notice the other day when I held on with one hand, to the towel rack right by the door the scale is behind, I was able to lose 20 lbs in one second! :mrgreen:

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Too solid, that is brilliant! Or maybe a bunch of helium balloons ...

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:53 pm

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... s=seca+803

Amazon sells the seca 803 which is a replacement for what I purchased which was the Seca 840. There are several models, and the Clara looks like mine. It is under $70. I love it. I actually purchased a carrying case for it which was about $100.

If there is one thing I didn't want with dieting, it was the uncertainty of a scale that gave different numbers every time you stood on it.

Kathleen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks Kathleen!
8) Debs x

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:04 pm

I have two scales - - a Tanita and a Salter. Both are outstanding in terms of consistency. But honestly, I think they may both be on the expensive side . . .sorry I can't be more helpful.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks Anita about the Tanita!
That rhymes :mrgreen:
Yeah, I'm sure they are great, but I'm just not spending more than 60 or 70 dollars when it comes down to getting a new one.
Have a nice day.
8) Debs x

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:05 pm

gratefuldeb67,
You'll get a chuckle out of this: Not only do I have a Seca which was about $150 when I bought it, but I also spent more than $100 on a carrying case for it! I didn't want to be away from the scale for even one day. The hardest part about this diet for me has been adjusting to the fact that the weight loss is slow. Still, it looks like I'll have lost 10% of my body weight by the one year anniversary on September 8. I only have 8 pounds to go, and my current weight loss is bout 1.5 - 2 pounds per month. I need to just wait. "Patience is a virtue!"
Kathleen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 pm

You're doing great Kathleen!! :wink:
8) Debs x