No-S while pregnant?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

farmmom7

No-S while pregnant?

Post by farmmom7 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:02 am

Hi all,

I searched the threads and didn't find anything on this topic. I know dieting during pregnancy is not OK, and that isn't my question. Background:

I am 33, 5'6", and 125. My "normal" weight is 120, but I do end up at 115 occassionally. I am VERY physically active (not in a planned-exercise way, just a lifestyle thing).

I had 3 successful pregnancies in my 20's. I remarried, and at 33, my current age, and had a miscarriage a few months ago. I did some emotional eating after that and got about 10 lbs higher than I needed to be, so here I am.

Now, before anyone jumps me for talking about preg. weight gain, I'd like to point out that my youngest weighed over 10 lbs, 23 inches long, and he was EARLY. Because of his size, I am at risk for gestational diabetes this time (which ups one's risk of type-two diabetes as well). I gained 40 lbs in that pregnancy.

So, my two goals are:
1. Get to the bottom of my healthy weight range before we start "trying" again.
2. Find a way to use and/or modify No-S so that I can avoid the huge baby/diabetes issue when I do get pregnant again, if it's possible to do so.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Farmmom7

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Very interesting question.....I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer....but I'll throw in my opinion.

I've had four pregnancies & four great kids....the first when I was 31, then 33, 35, and 45...

I would think a modified form of plan would be great especially for trying to prevent gestational diabetes. Eliminating the sweets during the week would be huge, as would the no seconds rule, but think I'd be less strict on the no-snacks rule since a pregnant body may very well need something in between meals from time to time. Perhaps you could decide ahead of time what good snacks would be and try to stick to them....or let yourself have a healthy snack on a regular basis in the afternoons.

I gained about 25 pounds with my first three and then didn't gain anything for my last (weird, I know)...but I do remember those times of feeling as if my body really needed something nutritious. I did well with weight control during my pregnancies, but I always gained weight a few months afterward, usually because of emotional stuff...I think this plan would have really helped me if I'd known about it then.

I am very sorry about your miscarriage....what a sad time for you & your husband....

I hope these thoughts help...janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Keeping in mind that I am not a doctor and don't play one on the internet...

I had one child, in my 40's, after several miscarriages (you have my DEEPEST sympathy for yours). I actually did well with weight gain during my pregnancy, but not only couldn't lose the reasonable amount I'd gained but continued to add to it after my son was born. Eventually managed - you can check my story on the testimonials thread if you like.

I agree that a modified No-S would probably be a good choice. The No-Sweets would be particularly helpful for avoiding gestational diabetes. I agree with howfunisthat that you ought to allow snacks - you NEED the nutrition. (Plus, with my pregnancy, if I kept a little food in my stomach, I didn't feel sick... the moment I got hungry, I was nauseated the rest of the day. I kept packs of crackers and granola bars in my car, desk, purse...)

Also, No-S is more about portion control than nutrition, though I think that it LEADS naturally to good nutrition over time just because junk doesn't keep you full enough. However, if you're concerned about avoiding diabetes and maintaining nutrition for a growing baby, I would "layer" No-S with a nutritional plan of some kind. Or at least make good nutritional choices - lots of protein during the stages of brain development, etc. You probably have a lot of that info from your previous pregnancies, or can find it in a good book. (Because of my history, I was SUPER vigilant during pregnancy - no caffeine or diet drinks, I monitored protein intake, ate LOTS of veggies, chose complex carbs over refined, drank more milk than normal, etc.)

Hope some of this is helpful. Best wishes!
Last edited by kccc on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:06 pm

I don't see why No-S couldn't be followed through a pregnancy with a little adaptation. It only takes 300-350 extra calories a day to grow a baby, so you could either spread the calories out over the course of the three daily meals, or add one snack of about that many calories.

No-S isn't a diet that restricts -- it modifies habits. I would think it would go a long ways towards helping you avoid gestational diabetes.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

la_loser

Been there, done that!

Post by la_loser » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Farm mom,

How smart of you to think ahead about these possibilities BEFORE they become serious issues! I can speak from experience about the gestational diabetes situation. And you are five years younger than I was at the time.

My first and only pregnancy was in 1988 when I was 38. Imagine my mood when I saw that one of the phrases used on my chart, etc. was "advanced maternal age." We had some fun with it, sending messages to the relatives who'd given up on us-message read "who said you can't teach an old egg new tricks?"

Anyway, I agree with KCCC that keeping "a little something" in my stomach was how I kept the queasies away. At the beginning however, I overdid it and those little somethings added too many pounds too quickly. (way too many little cans of pineapple juice and peanut butter cracker sandwiches!) At about 30 weeks, my blood sugar looked not so good so I had to go through the whole sugar screening when you fast and they test your blood, then you drink some nasty stuff and they test again then again, then you eat a ton of sugary waffles with full strength grape juice and then test again. With each result, my blood sugar tolerance was worse and worse. . . so I had to go to a nutritionist and abide by a very strict eating plan. Packrat that I am, I still have all that info and looked at it when I first saw your post. . . and you know what, it might as well be called No S with healthy snacks and without S days. Also I had to watch fried foods and other high fat items. I remember for Valentine's Day my sweet hubby actually found some no sugar chocolate candy to give me. (this was way before all the no sugar/sugar alcohol stuff was available like it is now.) The absolute worst thing was that I had to give up my cherished Cheetos. But alas, the doc said that as soon as that baby popped out, it would probably resolve itself. And it did. . . and some of my students arrived at the hospital with an industrial sized bag of . . .CHEETOS! Yea!

Because of the gestational diabetes they kept a close eye on my labor and when my son started to go into a little distress (nothing serious), the doc decided enough was enough and I had a C Section. All turned out very well-neither of us worse for the experience (except maybe the anesthetist whose rear I decided to hold onto during surgery-hey, I was on drugs, OK!?)

I am confident (and my doctor concurred at the time) that if I had exercised better eating habits the whole pregnancy, the gestational diabetes would have probably not even developed. The diet the nutritionist gave me was to have three balanced (relatively small-hmm--could fit on a smallish dinner plate) meals per day with snacks of fruit/crackers between meals. Avoid sweets and make sure to include lots of fruits and veggies. Huh, that does sound like No S doesn't it? I'm betting if you did it proactively, you probably COULD have non-IDIOT S days because the N days would even it all out.

If you are 5' 6" and currently weight 125, you are well within a healthy range anyway even if it is more than the 115 you sometimes weigh. (Note to others reading this--I am not making a judgment here. . .just going by what Farm Mom said herself!) It would seem to me (and I too do NOT play a doctor on the internet) that you probably wouldn't have any problems, especially if you adhere to No S with a twist to keep your empty stomach at bay. When you consider that NO S really isn't a DIET--it's just smart thoughtful moderate eating habits!

Tell your doctor about No S and see what she/he says; I'm betting you'll get a go ahead. So keep us all posted--I know we'd all like to share your journey-without being intrusive--with you!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:06 pm

I have to say that I think NoS will be very compatible with your situation.
I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy due to being very overweight before I ws pregnant. The doctor had me cut out added sugar and I was able to manage it without insulin. My Son was nearly 11 lbs! LOL :)
What a difficult pregnancy, but it was worth it.
But if I could have known how much easier it would have been if I hadn't developed the gestational diabetes, I might have taken much better care of myself before. The ups and downs were crazy when my blood sugar was off. Great idea to get yourself in good health before you become pregnant again. I'm sorry about the miscarriage by the way.
Good luck to you!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Welcome, farmmom!

I actually did manage to find a couple of relevant discussions on the subject of pregnancy:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1132

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2657

I don't really have anything new to add, except to mention that we had the opposite problem -- our first daughter suffered from "Intrauterine Growth Retardation" and my wife gained frighteningly little weight (not nearly as frightening as what we thought when we first heard the R-word -- they don't even use that for what everyone thinks it means anymore, why on earth would they use it for this?). My heartfelt sympathies on your miscarriage -- though we haven't actually experienced it, we came close enough several times for me to have an inkling of what you must be going through.

Reinhard

farmmom7

Thanks

Post by farmmom7 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:34 am

Thanks for the No-S pregnancy suggestions. You folks are wonderfully supported. I'll keep you posted if anything "develops".
Farmmom7