Learning through failures

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

Learning through failures

Post by ou812 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:13 pm

I've been failing miserably lately at the No-S diet. I can make it through the day without much trouble. The most difficult time for me is at night. I have some terrrible night eating habits. Fortunately, I have pretty solid exercise habits that counteract my lack of control with my eating habits.

The reason that I am interested in establishing the No-s habit is that I find that I just enjoy the S's as much when I have them all the time. :(

I will be re-starting tomorrow.
I have also learned (through failure) that it is important for me to track my successes and failures, otherwise a week goes by and I lose all motivation to continue.

Wish me luck.

Merry

Re: Learning through failures

Post by Merry » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:44 pm

ou812 wrote:I've been failing miserably lately at the No-S diet. I can make it through the day without much trouble. The most difficult time for me is at night. I have some terrrible night eating habits. Fortunately, I have pretty solid exercise habits that counteract my lack of control with my eating habits.

The reason that I am interested in establishing the No-s habit is that I find that I just enjoy the S's as much when I have them all the time. :(

I will be re-starting tomorrow.
I have also learned (through failure) that it is important for me to track my successes and failures, otherwise a week goes by and I lose all motivation to continue.

Wish me luck.
Hope it goes well! I do think tracking helps (I enjoy habitcal for this!). But I did take a red this week. I think one key is not letting failure derail your plan--don't let a past failure make us throw up our hands & say, "well, so much for that!" Anyway, good for you for not giving up & for trying to find a way to make it work.

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:15 am

Good luck! This is also my biggest downfall to success with NoS as well, and I know how frustrating it can be.
Recently I decided to start a habit cal just for tracking the habit for no eating after bedtime.
Perhaps try starting one yourself and see if it helps you stay motivated.
It's helping me focus on it much more and I'm doing pretty well.
It will take a long time before that habit is gone completely, but I'm starting to make a dent in it.
Good luck getting back on track!
Have a good week.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

oolala53

night sweats

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:15 am

Yes, the nights can be rough. What is it that can suddenly make it seem that it makes sense to eat something not long after you've finished a very satisfying meal? There are many thoughts: "That would taste good." "Oh, it won't matter." "Why shouldn't I be able to eat, if I want to?" Or imaginings: the creaminess of the chocolate, the mellowness of bread, the cruchiness of chips or such. And these and other things will continue to hold sway until that feeling you have just before bed when you realize you are still content from dinner (I hope), you aren't too full, and you've acted sanely--you didn't eat when you didn't need to!--becomes more precious than any of them! And that can take awhile. Years! Or, not. It's only one night away. Maybe it is related to how much food you eat at dinner, maybe it's finding activities that are compelling enough, maybe it's learning five minutes at at time to delay gratification, maybe it's facing some feeling of hollowness, or dissatisfaction, but it all boils down to the same thing. Just say nyet! But also, don't mix up charting a red failure with an estimation of yourself. Get some sleep and start fresh tomorrow. At some point, you are going to look back on these struggles after many experiences of success, and then they will be seen for what they are: steps along the way.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:20 pm

ou812,

Failure is tough. But the last thing you want to do is pretend it isn't there.

What you're doing -- learning from it -- is exactly right. And there's no better teacher, if you let it be.

Deb's idea of using a separate, additional habitcal to target night time eating is an excellent idea. And the new "table view" makes it a lot easier to deal with multiple habits.

If you find yourself feeling inordinately discouraged by slip ups, call it "red" instead of failure. Just as clear, without the emotional baggage. And think how satisfying even this red will look when after a few months you've established a sea of green. When I look back on the habitcals I started for new habits (like "tasks" -- most of my other habits were already long established by the time I started tracking them with the habitcal) I love to look back to the beginning and see how much worse I was when I started, how much progress I've made since.

Reinhard

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:53 pm

I find that post dinner eating is very habitual. If I do it one night, I want to do it again the next night. I have started and re-started NO S a dozen times and the best lasting habit that I take away each time is that I don't anticipate food after dinner. My husband actually eats cheese and crackers in bed next to me and I remember when that was irresistible, now I hardly notice. It takes 3 night for me of sort of sweating it out and then the urge completely disappears.

Me Too

Post by Me Too » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Its so nice to be back amongst my own kind. I fell off the No S wagon a while back and gained all the weight I did lose in the first place.
I went to Barnes and Noble looking for a diet book, because No S didn't work, looking for the NEXT great diet. As I was looking at the latest diet books I kept thinking about No S, I was comparing every diet to No S, and I realized it worked it really worked, it was ME who was not working it.
Funny I did find 1 copy of No S and put it right at eye lever in front of all the other diet books for everybody to see. And I saved money because I didn't buy any books. When I got home I started reading No S again and this time with a willingness I didn't have the first time.
Now I truly believe this way of eating works, when I work it.
Its simple, it makes sense, and its a solid eating plan that I can do for life.
I'm so very grateful for each and every one of you on the board for your love and support.
Its nice to be back home.
Me Too

3 John:2
Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:33 am

reinhard wrote:ou812,

Failure is tough. But the last thing you want to do is pretend it isn't there.

Reinhard
DING DING! He hits the nail on the head. I've been doing this pretty much.... all year. <sigh>

I managed to gain 10 pounds (have to change my siggy again) this year ignoring my red days (not even marking them on the calendar) pretending this snack was 'actually' part of another meal I had/will be having. Pretending one sweet each day and maybe a bowl of popcorn near bedtime would be just fine, I don't have an issue.....

WRONG-O.

The BEST thing anyone of us can do is acknowledge our failures or red days, MARK IT on the calendar so we can see it! And move on at the very next meal.

The good thing is- I am NOT actually hungry when I snack and have sweets. it's mostly an entertainment/boredom/stress deal.

Ugh. 2008, the year of learning!!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Danger_Will_Robinson!

Post by Danger_Will_Robinson! » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Well, look at this way. Painful as it is, failure really is a *better* teacher than success. So I guess we have to be friendly to what our failures teach us.

I too, have excellent exercise habits which afforded me several gluttonies over the years. I am striving to implement the habits of No S. The biggest reward is enjoying the food and treats I have a little more. But I am prone to over-eating. One thing that is helping me right now is reviewing the following adage every morning. I read and say it and try to practice these words before I need them: It is simple, but it works for me and eventually I believe it: "That was good, but I've had enough." Lather, rinse, repeat, as they say. So when I want seconds, etc., a third glass of wine, I say "That was good, but I've had enough". And I remind myself that I can have some more tomorrow. I had a bad habit of not resisting my impulses with food and drink. I'm really working on it....and this little adage helps remind me when my impulse is to have another!

Reinhard, thanks for the Everyday Systems strategies. They're great!
"Keep doing what you're doing, and soon you'll be doing it better." (my dad always says this.)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:09 pm

Danger_Will_Robinson! wrote: One thing that is helping me right now is reviewing the following adage every morning. I read and say it and try to practice these words before I need them: It is simple, but it works for me and eventually I believe it: "That was good, but I've had enough." Lather, rinse, repeat, as they say. So when I want seconds, etc., a third glass of wine, I say "That was good, but I've had enough". And I remind myself that I can have some more tomorrow. I had a bad habit of not resisting my impulses with food and drink. I'm really working on it....and this little adage helps remind me when my impulse is to have another!

Reinhard, thanks for the Everyday Systems strategies. They're great!
That is a great example of creating a positive and healthy habit through methodical practice!
I'm so happy it's working for you.
I will adopt your mantra and start putting it to work!
Thanks DWR :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness