gained weight

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DeannaV

gained weight

Post by DeannaV » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:02 am

I've been on the No S diet for one week and have stuck to it exactly but I have gained 1 kilogram in weight. However, I only exercised once. I used to do Atkins so I don't know if this is the cause. Should I just keep going with the basic No S diet or change it in some way?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:39 pm

I've heard that a good deal of the initial weight loss was water weight on Atkins. If you switch back to a more "normal" way of eating, that water weight will come back. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep on with No-S. And remember, with No-S you probably will lose more slowly, but as long as you stick with the habits, the loss is more likely to be permanent.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

la_loser

Time is the great teacher. . .

Post by la_loser » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:36 pm

As many others will probably chime in, time is a great teacher in this journey. But the HABITS are the key. I have posted below a comment I made to Lighthouse back in August. And on many other threads you can find that others have had experiences like you. I certainly did; Reinhard would say (and probably will!) that the first thing to do is to get your HABITS ingrained for a month or two before you try to monkey with the system. When we've been on any restrictive type diet, our bodies are not in sync with a more "normal" and natural style of eating. It's like your body has to re-learn itself. . . I was finally able to stop fretting about a pound here or there and have let No S take its course and I'm definitely seeing results. SLOW but I believe SUSTAINABLE results. I can tell that my clothes are fitting a little looser too. But I had to finally trust that this would work. Didn't show much loss the first month or six weeks of doing the Strictly No S plan; once that time had passed, I'm proud to say I'm down 8 pounds within four weeks. I've been "on" No-S for about 10 or 12 weeks-the pounds didn't begin to drop until I'd been on for a while.
From this thread:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=#46855

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:32 am Post subject: Patience, my dear
Lighthouse,

You're probably too young to remember the old song, "We've only just begun. . ." but be assured that the No-S journey is one that will EVENTUALLY get you somewhere.

1. Reinhard is very clear that the weight loss is SLOW but SUSTAINABLE.
2. When you have some time, browse through lots of old topics that have the word SCALE in them to get a vivid picture of how No-Sers have found that weighing yourself every day can be a real distraction. (I'm still having to get used to it myself.) Reinhard has made a number of comments as have many others about the fact that your weight fluctuates from day (or hour!) to day (hour).

3. Some people have actually gotten rid of their scales and instead are relying on how their clothes fit or their waist measurement.

4. I remember someone saying they made a HabitCal to track their ability to stay off the scales every day. (perhaps had a once a week or month series of weigh-ins tp get an average).

5. Just for grins (for you!), I just weighed myself before responding to this message. I weighed three times in a twenty minutes period. THREE different totals on the same scales. You know I did not gain or lose three pounds in 20 minutes!)

It's one of those things where you just have to trust the system and let nature. . . take its course. Meanwhile, get your habits ingrained so that you began to eat correctly without even thinking about it.

Time, time, time. Some decided to leave to go to another quicker weight loss program but were back in no time because although other programs promise faster loss, they are, for most people, not sustainable, and you fall off the wagon really hard and it's more difficult to jump back on. With No S, if you mess up-it's one day--it's not huge and as someone said, You just mark it [red, green, yellow] and move on.

Good luck, hang in there. We're all in this together.
["Time is a great teacher. Who can live without hope." . . from The People Yes by Carl Sandburg. . . from my 1966 junior English class-Wow- I'm even impressed with myself for remembering that! :lol: ]

Anyway--have some patience--this is definitely not like Atkins when you see super fast results (and get bad breath!) but learn over time that
Atikins is just not sustainable for most people.

And WELCOME TO NO S!!!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:29 pm

Should I just keep going with the basic No S diet or change it in some way?
DeannaV,

Definitely just keep going! Focus on keeping your N Days green and everything will take care of itself, it may not be quick but it will be REAL :D and quite a journey,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Deedee

gained weight

Post by Deedee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am

Yes, it's such a good reminder to 'keep the habits' and watch the outcome - instead of the other way around - constantly checking the scale is such a waste of time!

Start of week 4 - I haven't weighed yet, but I can tell you, I have not gained weight (judging by my clothes) and I have enjoyed the food like it's a new beginning.

Today, Sunday, I had pancakes and bacon for breakfast (with syrup and full-fat lemon yogurt topping) - lunch was a lemon tart and a chocolate and dinner was sensible - meatloaf, rice and salad. I may have another dessert - but tomorrow is another day - a regular 3 a day - so many lovely meals ahead of me.

I know I will lose weight - I just have to watch the habits and 'get normal'.

Good luck & best wishes

DeannaV

re weight gain

Post by DeannaV » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks for your reply. I must admit even though I am easily sticking to the no S days correctly, I am eating a lot on S days as I haven't had sweet foods for so long on Atkins that I crave them so much. I also like feeling that I am not ruled by food as much as before so I will stick to the no S diet and see how it goes.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 am

Good to hear that you are going to stick with it.
I'm one of those that gained weight initially; it seems to be a fairly common happenstance, but is also common that people starts losing after their initial weight gain -I did-.
Hope to hear more from you soon!.

anndelise

Re: re weight gain

Post by anndelise » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:20 pm

DeannaV wrote:Thanks for your reply. I must admit even though I am easily sticking to the no S days correctly, I am eating a lot on S days as I haven't had sweet foods for so long on Atkins that I crave them so much. I also like feeling that I am not ruled by food as much as before so I will stick to the no S diet and see how it goes.
Eventually the NoS day habits will start trickling into the S days naturally.
Eventually the meals will start getting a little smaller than they were before, a little less sweets on the S days, and less desire to snack during nonmeal times, etc.
Eventually some of the little cravings you used to have won't be as strong because you'll know that just because you're not eating it now, or this S day, you'll always have the option to eat it on another S day.

Interestingly enough, one of the side habits that's getting built is the ability and willingness to put off certain cravings until an S days. This can carry over even into S days, as long as it's not forced.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:23 pm

Sorry you saw this little bump, but I doubt it was meaningful.

Some recent, relevant discussions:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=46863

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=46454

To re-cap:

1. Weight fluctuations will happen. They are usually meaningless. You have to learn to take them in stride (or totally ignore them).

2. Moderate behavior takes a long time to translate into results. It's not going to happen in a day or a week. It might even take months. You don't need massive willpower on no-s, but you do need patience.

3. You will probably eat more in your first few weeks on no-s than you will after, once you have the habit down. Why? Because you don't yet know how much food it's going to take on a single plate to see you through to your next meal. Because you might feel a sense of panic on S-days to cram yourself as full as possible. As you get more practice, your plating skills will get better. You'll learn to eyeball what is a reasonable amount and what it totally over the top. You'll also realize that S-days are frequent enough that there's no need to panic. You'll slowly, surely, painlessly -- pleasurably, in fact -- learn to eat moderately. It's like learning to ride a bike. There's a difference between intellectually understanding the process and actually being able to make the bike go somewhere. It's not rocket science, but it does take some practice. To run with the bike analogy, think of the no-s rules as training wheels for moderation rather than some magic formula that is going to melt the fat off you.

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:21 pm

I must admit even though I am easily sticking to the no S days correctly, I am eating a lot on S days as I haven't had sweet foods for so long on Atkins that I crave them so much.
I probably ate the most on my S days on my 4th and 5th month. I think it is really helpful to give yourself the freedom to eat what you want and trust that as you keep your N days and also learn that you don't have to panic on your S days as Reinhard says your S days will fall into place. That has worked much better for me than trying to "control" my S days. The bottom line is I always ask myself am I ENJOYING this? Or will I ENJOY that? It is amazing when the answer is really No.

I love the NO S diet. It has healed so much psychological baggage and so much of my unhealthy emotional attachment for food. Today is my birthday and in in the past I would be thinking about hmmmm... what special thing am I going to eat. But this year, 46, I am all "focused" on getting down to the beach and seeing if I can find a boogey board rental shop and have some fun in the waves.

It is great to finally have begun to experience so much healing with my BED (Binge Eating Disorder). I know Reinhard does not recommend NO S for people with eating disorders and I cannot speak to folks with anorexia or bulimia. But NO S is IMHO the perfect antidote to binge eating. Yes it takes time for the angst with food and eating to subside but so far my experience is this ... IF YOU KEEP YOUR N DAYS GREEN YOU WILL EXPERIENCE A NEW WAY OF LIFE WHERE YOU WILL ENJOY FOOD AND THAT ENJOYMENT WILL TAKE ITS PROPER PLACE IN YOUR LIFE!

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:09 am

Happy Birthday, Blue!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:32 am

funfuture wrote:Happy Birthday, Blue!
What funfuture said (btw, fun, LOVE that user name - and it goes so well with a happy birthday wish!)

Blue, you have been such a wonderful addition to this board. I hope your birthday is the beginning of the best year of your life... and I wish the same for you next year! :)

DeannaV

gained weight

Post by DeannaV » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:34 am

Hi everyone

I'm glad to report that after I had gained 3 kilos after being on the diet for a week I am now down to 1 kilo less that my starting weight. I think that it must have been my body adjusting. I received the No S diet book this week and have read about a third of it. It was definately worth buying as it goes into more detail than the website. I am still having no trouble sticking the diet and I'll have been on it two weeks this Saturday.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:47 pm

funfuture and KCCC,

THANK YOU!

Deanna,

I love the book. I actually stumbled upon it at a bookstore before I found the website. I highly recommend buying and READING :D the book for anyone wanting to make No S work. It is extremely helpful, motivating and inspiring!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:06 am

Deanna,

Congrats on hanging in there & seeing yourself balance out & the scale go lower! I've read all the other responses & am writing to absolutely agree. I love what blueskighs wrote,

"IF YOU KEEP YOUR N DAYS GREEN YOU WILL EXPERIENCE A NEW WAY OF LIFE WHERE YOU WILL ENJOY FOOD AND THAT ENJOYMENT WILL TAKE ITS PROPER PLACE IN YOUR LIFE! "

I just finished week 8 & am becoming more & more dumbfounded at how this is becoming true in my life. I've never been on any plan where I've actually stopped thinking about food...or meals....or when I can eat again. Hang in there Deanna...if you still to this you'll be amazed.

Happy Birthday Blue!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:16 am

janie,

So glad you are here and ...
thank you :oops:

Blueskighs