Metromint water- make your own knock off

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vcanfield

Metromint water- make your own knock off

Post by vcanfield » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:14 am

I went to vistit my best friend for a few days in Houston. She and her husband are very continental. They have no children so they have they latest in gourmet foods and the finest furniture, while those of us with kids make due with cheerios and bean bags. Anyway- she pulled out some Metromint chocolate/mint and orange/mint waters for me to try and they were fabulous. I was impressed and while examining the lovely bottle my friend informed me they were only $2-$3 a bottle. I kept a faint smile on my face and wondered if she knew she was drinking WATER, not alcohol or a latte, just WATER.

So, having liked the flavor, but not the price I wondered how to make my own. I figured they were doing nothing more then putting a dab of extracts in lovely bottles of water and slapping a huge price tag on it. I went to the the grocery store, bought two $4 bottles of pure mint and orange extract. I put about 2 tiny drops of each (a little goes a long way) and success! It tasted just like the Metromint. One $4 bottle of extract should make hundreds of Metromint knock offs. Now I am off to buy some chocolate extracts at Amazon.com. I thought I would share since drinking water is difficult thing for most. If anyone gets the chance try a bottle of chocolate mint. It is heavenly. Then go out and get your own extracts to make your own.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:48 am

Great idea :)
Me and my Son love flavoured seltzer.
I bet mint chocolate water would be very nice indeed :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Adagia

Post by Adagia » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:22 pm

What a great idea! I'm going to have to try that.
Started Aug 04, 200 lbs
As of Sep 8, 195.5 lbs (5 weeks on habit)
45 years, 5' 10"

Betty

Post by Betty » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:32 am

When we have dinner parties, I always make a caraf of table water with real mint, slices of orange, and some lemon grass. UM!

Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:35 am

Betty wrote: "Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem".

Betty -- love this phrase, especially the last bit about your weight not being the problem. Am going to focus on being my own advocate next week. Thank you!

ou812

Post by ou812 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Packaging really sells this product. Just look at the sophisticated bottles.

http://www.metromint.com/products/varieties.html

Makes me want to buy one, but I would also like my kids to be able to eat lunch. :D

anndelise

Post by anndelise » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:46 pm

I was really excited when I read this thread.
I finally found some chocolate extract type stuff at one of the local grocery stores.
Daughter and I made some chocolate mint water…
And gagged. That was some horrible tasting water.
We couldn't get the taste out of our mouths the rest of the day, even when meal time came.

Lesson learned?
If gonna try chocolate extract, make sure it's some really good stuff at least, not what one finds at the local grocery store. *blech*

vcanfield

Post by vcanfield » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:14 am

anndelise wrote:I was really excited when I read this thread.
I finally found some chocolate extract type stuff at one of the local grocery stores.
Daughter and I made some chocolate mint water…
And gagged. That was some horrible tasting water.
We couldn't get the taste out of our mouths the rest of the day, even when meal time came.

Lesson learned?
If gonna try chocolate extract, make sure it's some really good stuff at least, not what one finds at the local grocery store. *blech*
Oh that is is horrible! I am so sorry that did not work. I have to admit I have not tried chocolate yet. I can tell you the orange, lemon and mint extracts have been wonderful. I am going to try almond next. You might want to try chocolate mint Metrowater- it could be you won't like that either. I don't think they are for everyone. Also, one or two drops are all you need. Extracts are made with alcohol so too much will make it bitter. I hope you get a combo you like.
Veronica

anndelise

Post by anndelise » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:18 am

vcanfield wrote:Oh that is is horrible! I am so sorry that did not work. I have to admit I have not tried chocolate yet. I can tell you the orange, lemon and mint extracts have been wonderful. I am going to try almond next. You might want to try chocolate mint Metrowater- it could be you won't like that either. I don't think they are for everyone. Also, one or two drops are all you need. Extracts are made with alcohol so too much will make it bitter. I hope you get a combo you like.
My daughter's been adding lime juice to her water, she likes that. She also likes lime better than lemon..but i'm not sure how lime and mint would go together.

She also likes mint so next time i can convince her to be a guinea pig with me, we'll try mint alone. I do remember using mint years and years ago to help keep me more alert during one of my very boring jobs.

Tomorrow I go into town to try to find some kind of orange extract. Not sure about orange and mint though.

On that day we had also tried vanilla extract. That was gross too. Both the chocolate and the vanilla were from the same company. I got rid of them both, but I sorta remember what the boxes looked like so I'll know to avoid that brand. (but then, we also don't like fake chocolate tastes, for instance, skittles has some chocolate skittles out, and the fake chocolate and vanilla taste of those were absolutely horrible ...so that may be part of it as well)

However, I ain't giving up yet. :D
I may not get my chocolate taste fix, but I'm very interested in getting her to drink more water. And if the only way to do that is to flavor it somehow, then we'll find as many flavors as she likes for it.

la_loser

Increase your water intake with H2Orange--see my other post!

Post by la_loser » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:36 am

OK--so I have to chime in here. . . if you're trying to find a way to work more water into your routine. . .check out my thread regarding a "solution" called H2Orange. . .

See: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 7044#47044

For those who have been reading the posts for the last couple of months, you're probably tired of hearing about it. . . but since we seem to have lots of new people, it seemed like a good idea to bring it to the top again. :lol:

Hope this helps.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

vcanfield

Re: Increase your water intake with H2Orange--see my other p

Post by vcanfield » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:35 am

LA_Loser wrote:OK--so I have to chime in here. . . if you're trying to find a way to work more water into your routine. . .check out my thread regarding a "solution" called H2Orange. . .

See: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 7044#47044

For those who have been reading the posts for the last couple of months, you're probably tired of hearing about it. . . but since we seem to have lots of new people, it seemed like a good idea to bring it to the top again. :lol:

Hope this helps.
Actually, your idea is a good one and should be bumped to the top every now and then. I make the same kind of mix with sf cranberry and grape juice, but I already posted it there. Thanks for the tip again.
Veronica

la_loser

Thanks

Post by la_loser » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 am

Thanks--guess I was writing the other reply while you wrote this one. I appreciate the positive feedback.

By the way, I'm a "you can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the girl" gal. Now I need to head into the kitchen to make up a few batches of my potion!

8)
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Adagia

Post by Adagia » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:05 am

Well I've tried making my own metromint water, and it turned out well, quite tasty. Unfortunately I've also discovered that mint flavored drinks make me hungry. Well that's not going to work! I'm back to drinking my watered down pomegranite and/or cranberry juices. They help me drink more water and don't increase my appetite.
Started Aug 04, 200 lbs
As of Sep 8, 195.5 lbs (5 weeks on habit)
45 years, 5' 10"