...many false starts later

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

...many false starts later

Post by ou812 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:35 am

Ok. I was doing really well with this last winter and then stress and bad habits slowly emerged again. I have tried restarting several times, but each time I started I did not track successful days using habit-cal or paper calendar. I have decided that for me that this is a factor that can make or break my habits. Without the paper accountability it is hard to not justify just eating that cookie. If you are just starting out I would highly recommend using some sort of tracking device.

With that I have commened a new round of No-S. Wish me luck.

It's always easier to start on Saturday or Sunday. :wink:

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:34 am

Wecome back. Ou! Someone here suggested a paperclip chain. I actually did it, and it helps! I just HATE to put a red paperclip on my green and yellow chain! I don't know why it is a stronger pull than the habitcal, but for me it just IS!

I use small red, green, and yellow paperclips for the daily check in. (Available at Wal-Mart or your local dollar store.) The chain started getting too long, so I started replacing each successful week with a large paperclip. Since starting, I had 3 successful weeks, two weeks with one red day, and then 3 more successful weeks! Tracking DOES help
!

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:33 am

Absolutely! Habitcal is so simple yet amazingly effective!

I've tried keeping food diarys and such but recording each and every little thing I ate was too much of a pain in the butt for me to actually do it every day. This is so quick and easy that I stick with it.

Good luck with your fresh start, you're going to do great! And the support on this board is amazing!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:33 pm

I have decided that for me that this is a factor that can make or break my habits. Without the paper accountability it is hard to not justify just eating that cookie.
ou812,
I agree, I KNOW keeping up with HABITCAL is a huge motivator. I just think when Reinhard came up with HABITCAL it was so splendidly and ingenious, precisely because it is so simple, straightforward and EFFECTIVE!!!!

and the paperclip thing is equally powerful!

Glad you are here,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

ou812

Post by ou812 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Love the paper clip idea. I may do a paper chain and give myself gold stars or something in exchange successful weeks. Hmm.. maybe I could then exchange gold stars for something else. Sorry. It's the elementary teacher in me.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:03 am

I had about a year and half of false starts.
But, eventually it all clicked.
Life is so much better No S'ing.
It is sane, normal, and balanced and it really does carry over into other aspects of your life.

I agree...weekends are the best time to start!
They are the best!

I track on a regular calendar and it helps me in many ways....

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:16 pm

ou812 wrote:Love the paper clip idea. I may do a paper chain and give myself gold stars or something in exchange successful weeks. Hmm.. maybe I could then exchange gold stars for something else. Sorry. It's the elementary teacher in me.
And why do teachers give stars? Because they WORK!

One of my favorite college professors was Mrs. Thrash. "Don't forget the second H" she said. LOL! She also used a stamp on tests. So you would get your score, but there would also be a large stamp to encourage you. Almost like in elementary school....

sbay301

Post by sbay301 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:07 pm

I use the paperclip method as well. This weekend I decided on a reward system. I will give myself something for each pound lost, for reaching halfway mark and for goal. Goal is a sapphire ring!!!!!

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:08 pm

LOL - this post came at such a good time for me!

I *just* started my HabitCal today. I read the book, and I'm a very "need to make lists" kind of person, and something was really itching in me to track my progress. But I'm NOT a food journal kind - I remember all too well my mother making food journals and it just ruled her every second. I didn't want that, but needed something.

So happy for the HabitCal! I'm also relying on my surgery recovering time as being my safety net. I'm sure if I could walk around, I would have a harder time staying on plan...but since I'm confined to a chair for the most part, I can't wander into the kitchen and tempt myself! I can just let the days pass and let the habit take hold.

We all have our little "tricks" :lol: :lol: :lol:

roseha

Post by roseha » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:01 am

I agree. If it wasn't for Habit Cal I would probably be breaking the diet when I come home some nights. Especially if I'm feeling cranky or something. But this way I think "It's almost time for bed, just mark off a green day and you're done."

Or something :)

I tell people about nos but I think sometimes they think it's just too simple. But it's perfect for me. Organized dieting never worked too well for me, this was just what I needed.