help for this snacking habit...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

droth

help for this snacking habit...

Post by droth » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:40 pm

I am a diabetic on insulin and my doc has had me on the 3 meals, 3 snacks a day for a long time, which does control my sugar readings. I have been TRYING to do the NoS way for over a week now, and always at 11:30, 5:30, and 11:00 p.m. my body thinks it is supposed to have its snacks since I've been doing it that way for sooooo long. I know it is the habit thing and I've fought off 3 snacks a day for over a week, but just about bedtime, when my body is wanting that snack, I get weak and break over....I considered yesterday a success until 11:00 last night - I had that snack after going all day without it. I had a good dinner, over the top lunch, and a satisfying breakfast. Maybe I should have the snacks at bedtime for a while and just try to cut them out later on when I'm used to not having the other two snacks....anyone have any advice on this? Please help!
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Reinhard wrote:I love the No S Diet, but my doctor says I need to eat 4/5/6 meals a day because of my medical condition!

The No S Diet has a little known loophole just for you. If you look closely at the site, you'll notice that nowhere does it specify the actual *number* of meals. Now most people will make a certain assumption, and most people had better stick with that assumption. But if you have a medical condition that requires you to eat more often, you can still do so and be a proud No S dieter. Just make sure to figure out what number of meals is right for you, stick with it (no changing the magic number every day), and invest in some really small plates. And talk to your doctor, of course. As for the rest of you, pretend you never read this. It's for people with doctor's notes only.
Maybe just a 4th meal at bedtime will work for you.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gacfree

Post by gacfree » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:40 pm

talk to your doctor!

droth

Thanx

Post by droth » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Thank you for your help. I think I am going to use the "loophole" for the bedtime snack anyway so my numbers will be good in the a.m. but I'm going to make it something that is not a snacky, sweet type of thing, maybe milk and graham cracker or something like that. Will just keep on keepin' on....Thanks again for all the help. :P
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

droth

Thanx

Post by droth » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:44 pm

Thank you for your help. I think I am going to use the "loophole" for the bedtime snack anyway so my numbers will be good in the a.m. but I'm going to make it something that is not a snacky, sweet type of thing, maybe milk and graham cracker or something like that. Will just keep on keepin' on....Thanks again for all the help. :P
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:42 am

I have very early stages Type II Diabetes and I find that at about 18h00 (lunch is at 12h00) I start battling with shakes and other sugar related side effects from not eating often enough - dinner is only at 19h30

The solution that works best for me is a 250ml cup of milk at around 15h00. This seems to give me the staying power I need.

I think the milk is a great filler that helps with sugar issues between meals.

When I do No S, my glucose / insulin / thyroid (I have hypothyroidism as well) are hugely more stable than when on a standard diabetic diet of 3 meals & 3 snacks.

Good luck with finding your magic charm.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

droth

gettin' on track

Post by droth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:59 pm

I did do the milk last night before bed and my fasting blood sugar was 132 this morning. I think this will work for me, but I can't drink too much milk because I'm somewhat lactose intolerant, so maybe a little bit every other night. Will test it and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:10 pm

I also tend towards Lactose Intolerance, but I find that one glass of milk does not hurt as long as I am careful of the rest of my daily intake.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:09 pm

I know other diabetics have done no-s, quite successfully, by adding additional meals or provisions -- but please talk to your doctor. If he told you do eat a certain way, I am not medically qualified to advise you otherwise.

Reinhard