Old fashioned healthy eating

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bonnieUK

Old fashioned healthy eating

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi - me again.

Just had some thoughts about the No S diet concept of going back to a more natural or traditional way of eating - i.e. before we all started pigging out on sugar, e numbers and hydrogenated fats LOL

It also got me thinking about how other diet plans out there seem to go against natural / traditional eating habits. For example, I was reading some diet tips recently about food combining, which essentially said you shouldn't combine carbs with protein. To me this seems to defy what feels almost instinctive e.g. that some foods just "go" together, like rice & beans, peanut butter on toast, or meat & potatoes if you're a meat eater etc. My understanding is that certain combinations (e.g. rice & beans) help provide a better spectrum of amino acids too - which may be why we instintively like these combinations? So to me the food combining thing just didn't appeal despite some blurb about how it can do magical things to your metabolism etc.

Other diet plans out there seem to feature similar illogicalities IMO, whereas No S feels logical and sensible.

Just some of my thoughts on the subject

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:21 pm

Amen! Diets like that can make you CRAZY!

That's what I like so much about No-S! Simple, logical, and gives you peace instead of frayed nerves and the guilt that comes with failing/cheating on other diet plans! I never made it through a single day on any of those other diets. And I always seemed to gravitate towards the really weird, hard ones-like the food-combining one you mentioned. I tried that and you are right. It went against everything that I liked-sandwiches, spaghetti with meatballs, rice and beans. It was very counter-intuitive and hard to come up with anything that sounded good and was still "legal". And try doing those if you have a family to feed-one who doesn't want anything to do with your latest crazy idea, lol.

I am so happy to have found No S! Freedom, at last!
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

flangal

old fashioned eating

Post by flangal » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:15 pm

Couldn't agree with you more!Same thing applies to no bread,carrots,bananas etc. All good,wholesome, traditional
food-how could they be bad for us? See my reply re/reduced grocery bills,using real food
flangal