Strategies for Failures

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Strategies for Failures

Post by kccc » Fri May 04, 2007 9:05 pm

I had a Failure this week - a snack at a meeting. (And once I started, I dug in on the nuts.)

The good part was that I didn't give up on and let the failure continue for the rest of the day. I pulled back, ate my normal no-seconds dinner, with no sweets to follow (though my family was having my fave ice cream).

I am not pleased with the snack-failure, but I AM pleased that it didn't "spread."

Today, instead of writing "no-S" in the "routines" part of my to-do list, I'm writing out the three components: No snacks, no seconds, no sweets. Un-bundling them makes me attend more to each aspect. I am more conscious of the individual pieces of the plan.

When you have a failure, what helps you get back on track?

(The second good part is that I'm coming to better terms with the notion of having a "failure" as opposed to being a failure - which is a far cry from my usual perfectionist attitudes. No-S has been good for me on a lot of levels!)

Jane

Post by Jane » Sat May 05, 2007 4:13 pm

KCCC,

I had a similar problem in my early going, I was at my son's school for open house and there were cookies. I went into auto mode and started eating them. I considered that day a success because I stopped after a few, and that was progress for me!

Take each day at a time, and when you "fail", take the time to learn the lesson the failure teaches you. It's not easy, but you are worth it!!!
"The truth of the matter is that you know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat May 05, 2007 6:06 pm

Sadly, I'm not in the early stages... I've been doing this for a while, and generally doing well.

However, I've been under a good bit of stress, which is a big trigger for me. And there are still some times of the day that are "weak spots" for me. Late afternoon is one. Before No-S, I was accustomed to ALWAYS having a snack then - and often "binged" once I started.

So, this is both an improvement over "before No-S" and a lapse from my own recent history.

Still, your general principal holds at whatever stage - learn from it, and get back on track fast. The more limited the outbreak, the less damage it can do. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 07, 2007 12:33 am

What I find helpful is knowing that I'm going to have to report in here -- in detail. If I catch myself early, I know I can make it sound not too bad. If I keep going whole hog, I know I won't want to have to report that.

Even if you aren't posting failures here, it can be helpful to resolve to note them just for yourself. Why? Because writing it out is a bit of a pain, so it's disincentive to give yourself much to write out. And also because even if you're just writing it out privately, to yourself, it's kind of embarrassing -- another, even more powerful disincentive.

I call this "negative tracking" and podcasted a bit about it here (towards the bottom):

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=12

It's pretty much all I do now in my daily checkins (besides sporadic "nothing to report"s every now and then if I've been good just to remind others and myself that I'm still actively doing this).

Reinhard

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 07, 2007 11:14 am

I haven't had a failure yet, being in the early stages of No S...but I know that sooner or later it's going to happen. This is life, and I'm only human. This particular thread and all of your input will be very helpful to me, if and when the time comes.
Congratulation, KCCC, that you didn't allow your snack failure to "spread." I know what an accomplishment that is, having been a dieting perfectionist myself. Keep up the great work!
mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

The Preacher

Post by The Preacher » Wed May 16, 2007 9:14 pm

KCCC - I'm responding late because I've been gone for a while. I think it is great that you recognize the difference between failing in an action and "being a failure".

BTW - What does the "KC" in your name represent? Is it Kansas City? I ask because that is my home town.

Go Royals! (I can't even type that with a straight face.)
I hereby command you: Be strong and couragous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. -- Joshua 1:9

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 17, 2007 5:03 pm

Lol! Not even close.

KCCC = Keep, Chuck, Change, Create.

It's an acronym for the question: What do you want to Keep, Chuck, Change, or Create in your life? A reminder that I have choices and options.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu May 17, 2007 7:33 pm

I love it!!! We always have choices!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!