New and struggling

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

rosyposy

New and struggling

Post by rosyposy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:23 am

Hi All,

This is my second attempt at No S and I am already cheating on my second day. Around mid afternoon I get hungry and eat something. Argh! I eat a fairly substantial lunch of soup, yoghurt, piece of ww bread with homous, but it is not cutting it. Any suggestions for fighting off the hunger? I really want to make this a habit. It is brilliant in its simplicity.

Have a great day!

London Mum

Re: New and struggling

Post by London Mum » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:28 am

This was the hardest time for me when I was starting. Now it is much easier and I can go from 12.30 til 8.30 or even 9 without that horrible shaky feeling.

To start with I made bigger lunches - for example I would make an extra sandwich, and make sure it included protein. Now they are back to normal size. Also I admit I do sometimes eat a few raw veggies or a slice of fruit when I am preparing the kids' tea. I just think it is stupid to feel guilty over a bit of raw carrot, and save my willpower for things like being offered chocolate biscuits at a friend's house! But if I ever find I am also eating bits of cheese or their leftovers (like I used to) I will start being really strict again. I also sometimes have a milky coffee at that time of day.

Good luck!

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:35 pm

I'm with London Mum: mid-afternoon was the toughest time for me when I was starting out, but now I can get from lunchtime, through an evening exercise class, to a late dinner without raging hunger.

At first it helped me to have a big lunch (sometimes bordering on obscene) and then some milky tea between 3 and 5. Now my lunch portions are back to normal and if I have tea half the time I don't even bother with the milk.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:15 pm

Welcome, Rosyposy.

1. Prepare with a big lunch

2. Grab a drink, even a caloric one, if you get hungry. Drink preemptively if you're scared hunger will overwhelm you.

3. Keep in mind that habit is going to make this easier every time you refrain from snacking.

Reinhard

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:38 pm

You need protein and fat, too. A little of both will hold you over better.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:18 pm

It's hard those first few weeks!

You can try having a glass of milk between meals if you feel ravenously hungry. I drink soy milk myself.

The hunger gets better, it really does. Your body will adjust. Speaking from being a permasnacker myself. I just finished my 2nd set of 21 and am much less hungry between meals.

Remember, hunger is a feeling. It will go away eventually (drink some milk or water, or I soemtiems have a decaf coffee if I feel like I"m so hungry I might give in and binge). One thing I've learned for sure is that I won't die from hunger. :)

Hang in there. And inbetween my 2 sets of 21 I had an entire month where I failed every day.

Good luck!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Too solid flesh

New and struggling

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:03 pm

I get hungry in the late afternoon, too. I eat cottage cheese and fruit, which is enough to keep me going but not too calorific. When I tried to keep going without I would end up binging while preparing the family meal.

Not perfect, but it is working for me.

rosyposy

Post by rosyposy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:38 am

Thank you all for the advice. I am going start bringing hefty lunches to work :) and bring some milk and tea to have late afternoon if the hunger gets too uncomfortable. Hopefully this will do the trick.

astitchaway

Tea

Post by astitchaway » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:46 am

I find a cup of tea helps whenever I feel in need of a snack. I've always been a big tea drinker (sorry to be the stereotypical Brit!) but since I've started the diet I've been even worse.

A nice cuppa can calm me down, take my mind off of food and it helps relieve my cravings and hunger too. I hope you can get through this difficult phase, good luck with it!

And yes, I am drinking a cup of tea right now :lol:

Clare
I'm a stitch away from making it and a scar away from falling apart.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:54 am

3pm was always a disaster for me when I first started No S.

I found by moving my lunch to an hour later I was able to reduce the hunger pangs at 3pm (mine were purely habit). If I am looking for something between 3 & 4 I have a glass of water and a cup of something hot.

Good luck with retraining your habit.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)