New and success with (modified) NoS

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LifeisaBlessing

New and success with (modified) NoS

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi Everyone! :)

After years of lurking on the NoS boards, I've finally registered to become a bit more active in the community. This is such a sane, doable way of eating that I've come to believe in strongly.

Briefly, I'm 47, married, with two grown children. I have been searching for a way of eating that fits in with normal life, and can be followed indefinitely--NoS is it! Thank you to Reinhard for coming up with the guidelines.

My stats before starting: 5'5", 122-125 lbs.
My "during" stats: 5'5", 115-116 lbs.
Time it took from "starting" to "during": Two months
Activity: 10K steps a day (monitored with help by Fitbit Zip)

How I do NoS: Three meals, no seconds, seven days a week. Meals can include snacks and/or sweets, and always include a protein that I find palatable (I'm a carb girl at heart, so this is a hard rule for myself to ensure I get enough of this important nutrient).

I am definitely a work in progress, and can improve on various things. But hopefully, my version of doing NoS will provide some encouragment to others that it's possible to do non-vanilla and still get to where you want to be.

The challenge now is to maintain and continue to make progress!

I'm looking forward to spending more time on the boards and getting to know everyone. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi I just responded to you on the other thread but so happy to see you post your story here.

Terrific results so it's clearly working for you. I've recently decided to add a piece of caramel to my meals if I want because it's one of the few things I'm allowed on my reflux diet.

Question, do you keep your meals/snack contained on a plate or are you just able to eat till you're satisfied and then call it done?

Also, if you're interested in starting a daily thread, that's a fun way to keep motivated and get/give good feedback. (Doesn't have to be daily).

Again, so glad you joined us!

Linda

Ps I love your quotation!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi (again!) lpearlmom,

I do try to keep everything, minus the salad bowl, on one plate for each meal, at times by virtual plating (hard to plate cereal with milk lol). In the beginning, it was eating to less than satisfaction. Now, it is eating to satisfaction--probably due to my body getting used to the reduced amounts of food.

The daily thread is a great idea--I will start that soon! :)

Glad you liked my quote--it's one of my favorites!

And thank you again for the warm welcome. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Welcome! Sounds like a very sensible mod -- by easing up on the "no sweets" limitation, you make S days less necessary. You could call it the "3 meal diet."

I'm a big fan of "vanilla" no-s, but it's not the only flavor that works.

Reinhard

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Welcome! I love your user name. Sounds like you've developed some great habits. I'm also a carb girl at heart. :D

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:06 am

Welcome!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:08 am

Welcome lifeisablessing! I love reading your post and find it inspiring..thanks for sharing. We all have to do what works for us and I'm thinking about your way of doing No S and considering adopting it for myself...but I'll have a think over the weekend.
All the best and look forward to reading more of your posts.
Last edited by cedar on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Thank you Reinhard, MaggieMae, Merry, and cedar for the nice welcome! :)

I will be starting a check-in thread as suggested by Linda/lpearlmom. Feel free to stop by. :)

cedar--glad you found my post inspiring! I can't say if my "3 meal diet" mod would work for everyone, but I find it definitely fits in and works with my life at this point.

One of the many reasons I like this board (and joined) is because so many people bring a wonderful variety of ideas to the table, and all suggestions are welcome. There is so much to learn from everyone's unique experiences!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi, LifeisaBlessing.

On three meals. too.

You sound pleased and at peace with your practice.
And you've got results to show for it.

Welcome.
Keep it up.

Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.