"Is this a habit I want to build?"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

"Is this a habit I want to build?"

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:01 pm

I have been thinking about S-days in general, especially in light of some of the discussion. I have some conflicting ideas...that are all true. ;)

First, I think S-days are important, especially when first beginning. "Always" is too long for any restriction. For similar reasons, I'm leery of adding S-day restrictions, because they can backfire all too easily.

I also do think N-day habits can carry over (though a little active attention to helping that process along is not a bad idea). My "best" S-days reflect that. Even on "wild" ones, I do tend to keep to meal structures and try to remember to drink enough, both of which make a real difference.

However... habit is a powerful thing, and it cuts both ways. I think I've allowed myself to develop a habit of having wild S-days. There's still too much "eat it now because I can't after today" thinking.

This is a habit that I don't like. In the terms of my kid, it's "not my friend."

I know adding restrictions will also add stress/pressure that I probably won't manage well. (That may work for some of you, but I know myself well enough to know it's a bad idea).

What HAS been working (and it works well on N-days too), is to ask myself "is this a habit I want to build?" It's a good response to that little voice that says "it's an S-day, you're allowed." ("Sure I am. But this isn't a habit I want to build.") That internal rejoinder gives me a chance to step back and decide if I really truly WANT whatever-it-is... or if it's just... well... habit.

The nice thing about habits is that you can build the ones you want, and then they ARE your friends. :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Don't you just love the self-determination that's built into the No-S system?

:D
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Lorifay

I know what you mean!

Post by Lorifay » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:16 am

I know exactly what you mean. I couldn't wait for my firts S day! I was so excited to be able to eat the things that I denied myself all week. BUT, I was also fearful of undoing everything I'd accomplished that week. I do usually gain back a little, but am still ahead of the game. I can see doing this indefinitely and that's what's important! By the way, I needed this forum tonight. Holiday's are so full of food! Thanks everyone. :P

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Oh yes...the S Day Question..
This is where I see all the different personalities and experiences coming into play on this board. There is obviously not a one size fits all answer and working out how our own individual control centers function seems to be very important. I do enjoy the posts from those who are on this journey.

I agree that "self talk" is an important factor. I also agree that I cannot have uncontrolled S days or that undoes all the habit building of the previous week. And it is true that being too strict sets me up for failure.

I am going to try to remind myself that I have 104 S days (+ at least 10 more birthdays, holidays and anniverseries) ahead of me in 2010 and I don't have to approach each one as an opportunity to make up for years of deprivation!

I like the emphasis on habit building and asking your question should be helpful for my weak mind!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:57 pm

TexArk wrote:
I am going to try to remind myself that I have 104 S days (+ at least 10 more birthdays, holidays and anniverseries) ahead of me in 2010 and I don't have to approach each one as an opportunity to make up for years of deprivation!
Seeing real numbers puts things in such a different perspective. 104 S days plus the others is at least 124 annually. Since there are 365 days -- nearly one-third of the days are S days (or days in which you could have S events). Or, in my case, I can have up to 3 S-events weekly, which means almost half the days can include S events. While No-S has never sounded like a form of deprivation, realizing that 1/3 to 1/2 of the days can be S-Days or have S-Events makes it sound even less so.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."