New to No s... just some questions!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hilly6000

New to No s... just some questions!

Post by hilly6000 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:36 am

Hi, I'm new to all this. I've had temporary success with my weight (90 pounds lost for a few months)... but it was done the wrong way. I want to do it the right way... but I have a few questions. I AGREE with EVERYTHING that is said... but that isn't necessarily what goes through my own head. I KNOW everything makes sense. I am just a skeptical and impatient person...

I know I will have to get over that.

I guess my first question is: I eat soup with my dinner (miso AKA a light soup). That's not part of my one plate, so it that not allowed? Or should I make it a small bowl that could be considered with my one plate? The soup helps to fill me up so that I don't eat as much.

I like some juice with my breakfast. Is this part of the meal?

So, if I eat one plate at a restaurant, is that still following the rules? I always feel guilty when I do this.

Is it really this simple? It's just so...ironic that it would be so simple. It's kind of sad, really. I know it MUST work. I anticipate it taking a long while to get to my ideal weight... but as a person that has never been a small girl and just... letting it be... it's all kind of daunting.

But I want this to be a lifetime change and something easy to stick with. I'm going to just stick with this and call it a... life, I guess! I am just tired of worrying and stressing... big or small, I'm just going to do this and hope for the best.

Wish me luck!

NoelFigart

Re: New to No s... just some questions!

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:52 am

hilly6000 wrote:I guess my first question is: I eat soup with my dinner (miso AKA a light soup). That's not part of my one plate, so it that not allowed? Or should I make it a small bowl that could be considered with my one plate? The soup helps to fill me up so that I don't eat as much.
Normally, I put a bowl on a plate and fill around it when I'm having soup. (Unless it's a stew, then the bowl is the meal with maybe a bit of bread and a salad. With miso? Eh, have your bowl and don't sweat it. [/quote]
Sure, you can have juice with breakfast!
So, if I eat one plate at a restaurant, is that still following the rules? I always feel guilty when I do this.
Yes. However, there is a caveat. Use your common sense. If the plate is twice the size of ones at home, don't eat all of it. Personally, I don't eat out often enough that this is an issue and it's usually on an S-day anyway.
Is it really this simple? It's just so...ironic that it would be so simple. It's kind of sad, really. I know it MUST work. I anticipate it taking a long while to get to my ideal weight... but as a person that has never been a small girl and just... letting it be... it's all kind of daunting.
You will not get SKINNY. You will SLOWLY lose weight to YOUR healthy weight. That's NOT going to be a size two doing No-S without modifications.

And do exercise. Seriously. Nothing too hard core, but do move.
But I want this to be a lifetime change and something easy to stick with. I'm going to just stick with this and call it a... life, I guess!
Welcome to the club! I'm doing the same thing.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:45 am

hilly6000 wrote:I guess my first question is: I eat soup with my dinner (miso AKA a light soup). That's not part of my one plate, so it that not allowed? Or should I make it a small bowl that could be considered with my one plate? The soup helps to fill me up so that I don't eat as much.
I have a different take on this. For the first year I didn't realize there was a one plate rule. I took one serving of everything served and had more than one "plate." The second plate/bowl was either soup or salad and I lost weight. By the time I realized there was a one plate rule, I couldn't see a reason to change. I still don't.

Having soup before your meal is technically not part of the "rules." However, I believe it's more important to do what works for you. You're right about the soup filling you up so you don't eat so much. Here's what I'd do: continue to eat the soup as you have been. If after a while you think it's slowing your weight loss, then change it.

I think what's important isn't so much following the rules of the program, but using your common sense and finding what works for you and then being consistent about staying with that. What you've been doing is common practice in other cultures and has been shown to reduce calorie intake at meals.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kevin

Re: New to No s... just some questions!

Post by Kevin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:04 pm

I agree with what has been posted so far, and I would urge you to not think too hard about it - doing that sort of defeats the purpose of a eating plan that is supposed to be something you really don't have to think too hard about, you know? Eat a reasonable single serving of food at meals, make it healthy food as often as possible, pass on sweets, and stop worrying.

I usually have a side salad at home, in it's own bowl (just veggies and a little dressing). If there is broth-based soup, it goes in its own bowl. But I pass on soup with a base I do not know - restaurants can hide a shocking amount of calories in soup.

And if I'm making dinner, it always includes raw vegetables (carrots, cucumbers, peppers, etc.). I make these first, and I don't fret if I eat some while I'm prepping dinner. Prepping dinner is my biggest trouble spot, and they have no calories to speak of. Plus I'm that much less hungry at dinner.

If there's any other tip I would pass along, it's pile on the veggies. Dark leafy greens (like collards) are nutritious, very filling, and stay with you. We have at least two, usually three, kinds of veggies with dinner.

Good luck!
hilly6000 wrote:Hi, I'm new to all this. I've had temporary success with my weight (90 pounds lost for a few months)... but it was done the wrong way. I want to do it the right way... but I have a few questions. I AGREE with EVERYTHING that is said... but that isn't necessarily what goes through my own head. I KNOW everything makes sense. I am just a skeptical and impatient person...

I know I will have to get over that.

I guess my first question is: I eat soup with my dinner (miso AKA a light soup). That's not part of my one plate, so it that not allowed? Or should I make it a small bowl that could be considered with my one plate? The soup helps to fill me up so that I don't eat as much.

But I want this to be a lifetime change and something easy to stick with. I'm going to just stick with this and call it a... life, I guess! I am just tired of worrying and stressing... big or small, I'm just going to do this and hope for the best.

Wish me luck!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:25 pm

I think in the book Reinhard says if it's a hearty soup, add a hunk of bread and call it a meal. If it's a lighter soup, use a smaller plate for the rest of your meal.

I've been doing this for just over a month, and I too have a lot of weight to lose. But there are so many good things about eating this way besides the weight loss. You want to stop worrying and stressing about food? That's been one of the biggest "side effect" benefits for me.

As a newbie, I'd encourage you to start off following No-S strictly before you start making changes. I found it difficult at first, but now it seems so easy. So welcome and good luck!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:39 pm

I think it's more important to do what works for you and what you can do for the rest of your life than to blindly follow "the rules."

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." Buddha

If the miso soup agrees with your own reason and common sense, continue to include it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:41 pm

The soup is okay.

The juice is okay.

One plate (not a platter!) in a restaurant is okay.

Enjoy your food. :D
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:12 pm

wosnes wrote:I think it's more important to do what works for you and what you can do for the rest of your life than to blindly follow "the rules."

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." Buddha

If the miso soup agrees with your own reason and common sense, continue to include it.
It's important to start out following "the rules" before making any changes. Nothing about NoS precludes miso soup.
~ Laura ~

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:05 pm

I understand wosnes' point, though. To internalize rules for a long period of time, they really have to make sense to you. Being strict to develop habit is very important. Long term, you may want to put your own spin on it. I'm back to being very strict, but for a long time I maintained with the addition of a small meal when I got home from work. It kept me from being cranky and sniping at my wife and kids. :)
TunaFishKid wrote:
wosnes wrote:I think it's more important to do what works for you and what you can do for the rest of your life than to blindly follow "the rules."

It's important to start out following "the rules" before making any changes. Nothing about NoS precludes miso soup.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:48 pm

I don't have comments on the question - just noticed your name. Would that be Hilly with the IQ of 6000? Well, for two minutes anyway.