Veteran's Day-S day??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jaob

Veteran's Day-S day??

Post by jaob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Yes, national holidays are considered S days, but my thinking is that although my prayers and appreciation go to our veterans on this day, I lift our veterans up in prayer most days. So can I really consider this a "special" day. I do have the day off school (teacher) and so does my husband. Other than that it really is just a regular day, no BBQs, parties etc. I would love to enjoy some wine today (something I plan to save for S days). But I would stick to the other N day guidelines. I am new to this and pondering...am I justifying again? should I be a bit stricter in the beginning? or a bit more lenient in the beginning? Any thoughts from all you insightful NoSers would be appreciated! TIA!
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 pm

I was musing on the same thing. We are flying our flag and I will probably go to the Veteran's Day program but I am not making this an S day.

Nay

Post by Nay » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Wine, because it's a drink, is allowed any time, as far as I know.

I also wondered whether I should consider Veteran's Day an N or an S day, and have decided to make it an N day for the very reasons you cite -- generally it is a somber day, not filled with picnics or parties, etc. I also have had to consider too many days lately as S days -- Halloween, 2 birthdays of grandchildren, and now with the major stuff-your-face holidays coming up -- well, I better make today an N day!

But it's up to you. If you have something you really want to bake today, or if you go out to dinner and really feel you want a dessert, make it an S day.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 pm

Personally, I don't think you should be stricter in the beginning and more lenient as time goes on. I also wouldn't restrict wine to S days -- it can be enjoyed in moderation (no more than 1-2 glasses) on ANY day. Just because you CAN have it every day doesn't mean you HAVE TO HAVE it every day.

As far as Veteran's Day being an S day...legally it's a holiday so you can do whatever you choose. I don't think only joyous days can be S days. But Halloween wasn't an S day for me -- it was just another day. IMHO, I think we think about it too much. Relax and enjoy.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Since it is a day off for you and hubby and you *want* to enjoy something that you consider an S-day treat (wine), I think you should just go ahead and call it an S-day. That doesn't mean you have to suddenly pig out or anything, but maybe you would appreciate the freedom to be a bit more relaxed food-wise on this day. I think that is legitimate.

And, afterwards, if you change your mind and think "mmm, that wasn't worth an S-day designation", you can chalk it up to an excellent learning experience! No-S, especially in the beginning, is ALL ABOUT learning experiences. :-)

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

jaob

Post by jaob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:57 pm

"relax and enjoy" "learning experience" What a concept!! If only I had considered these phrases years ago!! What a different mindset I would have now! I so appreciate being able to mooch off of all your learning experiences and hope that can some day I can pass along some of my own successful learning experiences!

That being said...I think I will relax and enjoy some wine tonight. At this point in my NoS journey I still will consider wine an S treat because I usually don't just have 1-2 glasses :oops: When I can get my "all or nothing" mentality under control I will give the "glass ceiling" a try.

Thanks again, you always come through!!
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

oolala53

two more cents

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi, jaob!

Another system I used asked participants to classify foods as teasers or pleasers. Only each individual knows what will tease him/her into going overboard. The bad news is some of those foods may never change categories but the good news is 1) a lot of them will and 2) new strength will help take care of the others. I applaud your wisdom, both that that you have and that that you will grow in.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Veteran's day could go either way, it's really an individual call. It's a very legitimate national holiday, but not exactly a feast day. There won't be huge temptations in terms of parties and such, but for those who get the day off it's certainly not quite "normal." If you want to honor veterans by abstaining, I understand that, but as you point out, there are other ways to do this. I've sometimes made it an S-day, sometimes not.

As for being more strict when, I'd say it's most important at the beginning, but gets much easier as you progress. And it always stays somewhat important. I'm probably stricter now than when I started because it's so thoroughly ingrained in me that I'd feel funny deviating -- I wouldn't be able to enjoy it (plus you never know when some paparazzo might jump out of a bush to expose the hypocritical diet guru :-)).

Reinhard

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:30 pm

reinhard wrote: I'm probably stricter now than when I started because it's so thoroughly ingrained in me that I'd feel funny deviating ... Reinhard
I like your use of the term "feel funny" because it made me realize that the way I react to No-S deviations is dramatically different from the way I reacted to deviations from the many diets I've been on.

With diets, deviations equated to feelings of guilt and self-loathing, negative self-talk, and an inclination to say "What the heck, I'm such a bad person anyway, I might as well finish up this cake".

With No-S, I do indeed "feel funny', (as in "Oh come on now, stop being dopey. This just doesn't feel right"), then get back on track and move on, guilt-free with a renewed sense of confidence in my ability to manage my world, food- and other- wise. That whole drama of remorse and recrimination about being a "bad person", the perfect path to sabotage, is gone.

"Feeling funny" about deviations is not only wonderfully liberating, it's also, I think, one of the reasons I am finding No-S relatively easy to stay with ...

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:50 pm

winnie96 wrote:
reinhard wrote: I'm probably stricter now than when I started because it's so thoroughly ingrained in me that I'd feel funny deviating ... Reinhard
I like your use of the term "feel funny" because it made me realize that the way I react to No-S deviations is dramatically different from the way I reacted to deviations from the many diets I've been on.

With diets, deviations equated to feelings of guilt and self-loathing, negative self-talk, and an inclination to say "What the heck, I'm such a bad person anyway, I might as well finish up this cake".

With No-S, I do indeed "feel funny', (as in "Oh come on now, stop being dopey. This just doesn't feel right"), then get back on track and move on, guilt-free with a renewed sense of confidence in my ability to manage my world, food- and other- wise. That whole drama of remorse and recrimination about being a "bad person", the perfect path to sabotage, is gone.

"Feeling funny" about deviations is not only wonderfully liberating, it's also, I think, one of the reasons I am finding No-S relatively easy to stay with ...
What a great post!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Janie - It was nice of you to take the time to post kind words about my thoughts on this topic ... As I've said elsewhere, I get so much from these boards that it makes me very happy when someone thinks my posts are useful. The particular day I read your response, I was kinda down in the dumps (a dangerous place for me to be, food-temptation-wise), but your remark just cheered me up to no end! I continue to be amazed at the many different ways these boards can help! Winnie