Marmalade

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mstevens

Marmalade

Post by mstevens » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:26 pm

What do people think on Marmalade?

It's obviously high sugar - I really like it on toast for breakfast, but I think it's borderline, and am thinking about deciding it's an S and switching to marmite (mmm).

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:21 am

I had similar qualms about Dutch apple syrup, which is a pure unrefined sugar beet syrup mixed with concentrated apple juice. I really like it, but decided that although it was unrefined (so contains lots of trace minerals and plenty of vitamins, including iron which is something I personally need to consume lots of if I want to get enough of it into my system, as I don't seem to absorb it very well), it was very high in sugar.

Well, I found myself thinking about it all the time! I couldn't seem to leave it alone. Then I started sneakily eating a teaspoon full and breaking the diet by eating apple syrup on it's own - Which was DEFINATELY AN S!

In the end, I decided that although it was borderline, it wasn't my biggest problem if I wanted to eat a little as part of my meal. I was expending too much time and effort on this one little thing when it wasn't going to make any difference in the 'macro' scale of things. I now spread a little on some eierkoeken (Dutch fat-less sponge cakes) and eat that for breakfast once or twice a week. My inner brat was appeased and I haven't been eating it with a spoon out of the tub ever since.

So, I think the point is this - is it really a problem? Is it easy to cut out and live without, or will it be more trouble than it is worth to cut it out completely? Personally, I think a little marmalade on your toast is unlikely to cause any great trouble. I know for sure there are others here who would disagree though. So... You need to work out for yourself if the benefits are worth the hassle of NOT eating this anymore.
C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Well M,
I usually apply the "If it's less than 25 calories a serving" rule to sugar based foods which are borderline, to decide..
Also, I would consider how many times a day you are having it..
Do what's liveable...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:10 pm

Deb didn't nickname me "Jammin'" Jan for nothing! I asked this same question several months ago, because of my fondness for putting jam on my morning toast. The general consensus then was to go ahead an do it. I just try to be moderate in the amount I use (not much really), and figure it cuts back on the fat I'm consuming (the jam replaces the butter spread).

Enjoy!

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Well it's once a day, as part of a fairly light meal (morning toast too).

Hmm, maybe I should try reducing the guilt by having marmalade and no marg :)

I'm divided, but I'm going to cut down at the very least.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:52 pm

mmmmm marmite

then there is promite

and vegemite!

so many delicious choices :D

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:55 pm

I got some vegemite at the weekend. Never had it before, wondering what it's like.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:24 pm

My husband is a marmite junkie. He says vegemite is a foul and disturbing substance, not fit to be called a foodstuff! :lol: :lol:

I hope you like it a bit better than he does. I'm not qualified to comment, given that I really don't like ANY of the yeast extract spreads on my bread! I won't even let Steve kiss me if he's been eating marmite in the last 3 hours :P

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:35 pm

Don't know about that Marmite...

There are a lot of vegetarian recipes that call for nutritional yeast to give a little cheesy flavor to foods. I tried it once...oh yuck! It was awful. To make matters worse, I couldn't eat bread for weeks after that, because all I could taste was the yeast. Does yeast extract in Marmite taste like nutritional yeast???

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:34 pm

having never eaten 'nutritional yeast' I honestly don't know, Jan!
C.
CaroleJo

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:09 pm

I've never tried the stuff either.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:38 pm

Brewers Yeast is pretty strong and blech too! LOL...
But it's very good for you!
LOL..

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:38 pm

mstevens,

"Borderline" doesn't mean forbidden. It means "ok unless you find yourself resorting to it in great quanities" and "probably not worth agonizing over." The clear cut offenders are a lot worse and give your worry much more bang for its buck. You don't want to be distracted from them by these.

I have marmalade/jam/preserves on bread every now and then on an N-day morning and don't worry about it. But if I had it every day and glopped it on with a serving spoon I probably would worry about it.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:11 pm

Glopped! :lol:
LOL..

That is a great descriptive word for what we are all trying to avoid!
Very funny!
Reinhard, you crack me up!!!

Love,
8) Deb

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 16, 2008 12:50 pm

reinhard wrote:"Borderline" doesn't mean forbidden.
It means "ok unless you find yourself resorting to it in great quanities" and "probably not worth agonizing over."
The clear cut offenders are a lot worse and give your worry much more bang for its buck.
You don't want to be distracted from them by these.

I have marmalade/jam/preserves on bread every now and then on an N-day morning and don't worry about it.
But if I had it every day and glopped it on with a serving spoon I probably would worry about it.

Reinhard
Good to hear.
The way No S deals with minor issues, helps me avoid all-or-nothing-thinking.
And....like most...that kind of thinking is deadly,

It's easy for my mind to say:
"I already had jam on my toast,
so I might as well eat this sleeve of cookies,
and start over on No S tomorrow."
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sat May 17, 2008 7:47 pm

We have the diabetic marmalade made with no added sugar. Don't ask me how they do it :!: I used to make marmalade for fetes and it takes a LOT of sugar to make it. I remember sending my husband down to the corner shop for another five pounds of the stuff because I'd used up all I had and it still tasted too bitter :wink:
The diabetic marmalade is fairly tart but very pleasant spread thinly on toast.
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon May 19, 2008 9:19 am

I don't eat toast often, but when I do it is always with PB and orange marmalade. For me it is not a trigger food and I can have it on toast without eating spoonfuls of it, so I enjoy it as part of the blessing of No S.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 19, 2008 2:38 pm

To me, marmalade on toast, falls into the "go ahead and put a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee" category. It's a very typical European breakfast. For me, it's clearly distinct from dessert, and not likely to degenerate into something worse. So I'd recommend not stressing about it unless you find it's an issue -- if it is, go ahead and make it an S, you don't need anyone's permission.

Reinhard

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue May 20, 2008 6:24 am

Another delicious way to enjoy marmalade (providing it is not a problem food for your) is a teaspoon on oats instead of honey or sugar. It is not as sweet tasting and makes a pleasant change.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 pm

When it comes to jam/preserves,
I have to tell you that I absolutely love
all flavors of sugar-free jam that is made by Smuckers....using Splenda...
Their old jam, using aspartame was not good.
So anyone who uses artificial sweeteners and wants only 10 calories per TB
be sure to look for the word Splenda on the Smuckers jar.
That's the only kind I buy now.

Before No S, I always mixed up my treats, in that sometimes I ate things made with sugar,
and sometimes things made with splenda.
Unlike Reinhard, I don't define "sweets" by taste,
and I don't plan to train my mind to expect less sweet tastes.
I've decided that this type of treat made with Splenda is not a "sweet" for me,
and on "N" days I have a small bit now and then (if it fits into my calorie budget)

During the past couple of weeks, I've eaten small portions of sweets (treats made with sugar) on S days,
and that behavior has magnified the big difference in my body's reaction to each of them.
My body has a positive or neutral reaction to Splenda products,
but a negative, and kind of "feel a bit sick" reaction to sugar products.

I don't know if this would be true for everyone,
because I found that after my gastric bypass surgery of 15 years ago,
my body handles sugar differently than it did before.
While sometimes uncomfortable, this was a very positive thing for me,
because, even after 15 years, I still feel ill when I eat large amounts of sugar inside a short time frame.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey Bright,

A dear friend just had most of her stomach removed-along with lots of other body parts, due to cancer. Her remaining stomach is about the size of an orange. Her gastro-oncology surgeon talked to her extensively about sugar. According to him she can never have a heavy sugar load again because the sugar, being big molecules, pulls fluid into the tiny remaining stomach, and makes it so liquid so fast that it will dump into the small intestine. In other words, sugar causes her to have what is known as dumping syndrome. Symptoms include :
* Nausea
* Vomiting
* Abdominal pain, cramps
* Diarrhea
* Dizziness, lightheadedness
* Bloating, belching
* Fatigue
* Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

He said she would basically break out in a cold sweat and feel like she was going to pass out. Not pleasant-not worth it.

Wondering if they go over all that kind of thing preoperative with an elective stomach reduction?

Resting

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 26, 2008 4:19 pm

resting52 wrote:Hey Bright,

A dear friend just had most of her stomach removed-along with lots of other body parts, due to cancer. Her remaining stomach is about the size of an orange. Her gastro-oncology surgeon talked to her extensively about sugar. According to him she can never have a heavy sugar load again because the sugar, being big molecules, pulls fluid into the tiny remaining stomach, and makes it so liquid so fast that it will dump into the small intestine. In other words, sugar causes her to have what is known as dumping syndrome. Symptoms include :
* Nausea
* Vomiting
* Abdominal pain, cramps
* Diarrhea
* Dizziness, lightheadedness
* Bloating, belching
* Fatigue
* Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

He said she would basically break out in a cold sweat and feel like she was going to pass out. Not pleasant-not worth it.

Wondering if they go over all that kind of thing preoperative with an elective stomach reduction?

Resting
Resting,
Yes, all that is standard pre-op information.
Everyone gets it always.

BTW, I had ALL of those symptoms when I ate sugar after my surgery 15 years ago.........
However,........... I, like many others, underestimated how much I would desire sugar....AND
as soon as possible I began eating sugar...

Over time my tolerance level for sugar grew.
First just a bite would provide me with most of those symptoms.....
to the extent that I had to go lie down for 30 minutes or so.
BTW it didn't cause actual vomiting, just dry heaves,
(which feels really bad and doesn't get rid of any calories)
and I didn't suffer from diarrhea.
After a while it took a couple of bites to activate the symptoms
then after more and more times, my tolerance level went up.

For example, at first, 1 bite of a chocolate chip cookie would trigger them,
then after 6 months or so of that, it took a whole cookie to trigger them,
then after more time, 2 cookies could be tolerated.
Now If I ate 3 or 4 cookies within a 5 minute period it would still trigger it.
However, Now, I could eat one cookie every 30 minutes or so all day long without triggering any symptoms.

Prior to surgery I could eat a whole batch of cookies, before I felt really sick.
Now, eating 3 or 4 does the same thing.
However, feeling sick has not removed the desire for cookies from me.

Many forum members here objected to my Thread which stated
that I understand and acknowledge that I am Glutteonous.
I have learned it takes a lot of Self-awareness
for me to be able to make changes in my behavior.
There is a REASON I gained over 100 lbs four separate times.
I really want to eat everything I like all the time.
Surgery doesn't change that.
Neither did 20+ years of therapy.....it only helped me learn to deal with it.