Suddenly, My "hunger" doesn't matter anymore

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Suddenly, My "hunger" doesn't matter anymore

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Especially since I (finally) got a chance to read this month's National Geographic and the article about how impoverished and war-torn Africa is. There were pics of children begging for food, and how people had to dig in the ground for roots of trees for firewood, since all of the trees had been cut down already. How people use rags wrapped around their feet for shoes.

And this was during a "woe is me, it's an N day and I'm feeling *stressed* and want to snack" moment. Suddenly, my hunger didn't matter anymore. The "hunger" I feel is NOTHING like the hunger so many other people, and innocent children are feeling.

I think I was being a whiney baby! It's all perspective. When I realized how miniscule my issue of being hungry was compared to many people world wide, well, it's just selfish and silly.

It was a very light bulb moment for me.

It makes it easier to not think about eating between meals, that's for sure!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Amen to that! Thanks for putting hunger in perspective. Honesty, what most Americans perceive as hunger pales in comparison to what the actual starving people from all over the world are facing on a daily basis. :(

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:37 pm

Amen to that! Thanks for putting hunger in perspective. Honesty, what most Americans perceive as hunger pales in comparison to what the actual starving people from all over the world are facing on a daily basis.
Very true! We in Western society don't really know the meaning of the word hunger.

Thanks for this shamrockmommy! Next time I feel peckish I'll remember it!

I think we should also vow to never say "I'm hungry" or especially "I'm starving" as a show of respect for those people in the world who say the above and actually really mean it?

Thanks again for the lightbulb moment :)

shea521

Post by shea521 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:05 am

for me being hungry was something that could not happen. so being hungry, not starving, is new for me and it is not so bad. it makes me look forward to my next meal. this is my first day i did snack out of habit and now i starting over tomorrow.

i give myself permission to be hungry. it is ok to be hungry.
you can't finish if you never start