So frustrated!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

So frustrated!

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:42 am

Ugh! I officially recommited to No-S last night after taking a week off, and I was doing so well all day. Following the rules, nice satisfying meals.

Enter PMS (read: chocolate craving) -- sorry if that's too much information.

Obviously, I'm guilt-ridden. I kept telling myself that I'd feel bad if I ate dessert, but I caved anyway. As someone who went nearly 3 months without a SINGLE failure, the fact that the past two weeks have been up and down is really getting me down.

Just some words of encouragement, or any comments in general would be nice. Me = disappointed in myself. :(

Jocelyn

NoelFigart

Re: So frustrated!

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:22 am

xJocelynx87 wrote: Just some words of encouragement, or any comments in general would be nice. Me = disappointed in myself. :(

Jocelyn
Look at it as an opportunity to prove to yourself that you don't let perfectionism get the better of you?

Okay, ya screwed up. Once.

That's done. Let it go. You'll do fine tomorrow.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:07 am

I've come to expect failures. And one of the BEST "side-effects" of No-S is learning to deal with them more productively.

To admit them, learn from them, and let them go.
To put the energy I used to put into beating myself up into planning for the future.
To accept that my attempts will be imperfect... but can still be good enough.
To learn to "fail fast" and get back on track - forget that "well, I've blown it anyway..." mentality!
To celebrate successes, however small. "Less failure" = improvement.

Tomorrow is a new day. The next hour, or MINUTE, is a clean slate and a chance for different choices.

Keep going. There are days when it's hard... but you can do hard things. :)

Best wishes.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 am

Well, I screwed up yesterday, too. But that was Tuesday, and Tuesday's gone, so let's see if I can do better today.

Just keep going.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:08 pm

This is probably going to be contrary to what others say, but I truly don't understand this quest for perfection -- in anything, but most especially diet.

What follows is from Philip Humbert's TIPS newsletter (italics mine):
Perfection, Excellence and Good Enough

There are two phrases that are widely thought to encourage peak performance, but are actually recipes for disaster.

The first is the ever-popular search for "best practices" and the other is the quest for "zero defects." While I understand the intention behind them, in the real world too often they merely trigger our fears and create tremendous interference.

Professionals hate making mistakes! No one wants to mess up, drop the ball or fail! We hate being embarrassed!

Unfortunately, human beings are only human. We get tired, we forget, we get distracted. We have misunderstandings and sometimes (I hate to say it) we make mistakes. We "mess up."

In the quest for perfection, we kid ourselves and we waste time and energy striving for the impossible. Most of the time we are far more successful if we strive for excellence rather than perfection. And, sometimes, the situation only requires "good enough," and our efforts beyond that are a waste of time.

This week, I finished a biography of Howard Hughes and in summing up his life, the authors made this astonishing assessment: "...geniuses must, like all of us, live in the real world. Hughes never learned how to convert his knowledge to practical application. Instead, he sought a perfection that assured failure." (Empire: The Life, Legend and Madness of Howard Hughes, by Donald L. Bartlett & James B. Steel, p. 623.)

Now, of course there are instances where "perfection" is the appropriate standard, but in real life, these are few and far between. Most of the time, our quest for "perfection" is inappropriate and grows out of an exaggerated desire to be right, to be super-human, to avoid criticism or risk.

Peak performers are more interested in getting things done than in perfection. High achievers look for appropriate outcomes and measure their success based on the quantity and quality of their results.

In most areas of life and business, here are my preferred standards:

1. Excellence. In work and in relationships, seek excellence. We want superb results that other people admire, but life rarely asks for perfection. Mistakes are merely the price of experimentation, learning and growth. Never fear making a mistake; fear failing to learn and move forward.

2. Good Enough. In most activities our goal should be performance appropriate to the situation. Anything less is sloppy or careless and that is never acceptable, but anything beyond what a specific situation requires or expects is merely personal preference.

Consider my front lawn. It is not a prize-winning lawn and no one's life or happiness or career depends on it's appearance, so "good enough" requires a few minutes with the trimmer, a half-hour with the mower, and some fertilizer from time to time. It looks "good enough" and blends with the standard in our neighborhood. Anything less would be "sloppy;" anything beyond that is time spent for some other, personal, reason.

Perfection is rarely required. Instead, strive for excellence in the important areas of life, and "good enough" in everything else. I think you'll be happier, more productive and, in the long run, far more successful.
When my children were in school I used to tell them to do their best. As long as they were doing their best, I didn't care if they didn't get A's or if their results weren't perfect. I didn't want perfect kids; I wanted kids who put forth their best effort. It's also important to realize that your "best" varies.

This is from The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz:

ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST.
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are tired as opposed to well-rested. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

Your best when experiencing PMS isn't going to be the same as when you're not. .

And finally, no matter what we're doing, we're going to have good days, we're going to have bad days and we're going to have days that are downright awful. To expect something different is unrealistic.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:31 pm

There was another post recently on this subject, which I found here: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2592

Hope that helps :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Wosnes, another great post. Very useful.

What is the "Philip Humbert TIPS newsletter"? If this is an example of what's in it, I'd love to see more.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks!

Here's a link to the TIPS archive. The newsletter is free and comes out weekly on Sunday.

http://philiphumbert.com/TIPS/index.htm
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:15 pm

True character isn't about being perfect, it's more about what you do about a screw up. You gotta know that you are doing sooooo much better than before, even with a few screw ups tossed into the mix.

I want you to know that I get that it's easier to get on a good roll and keep going, than it is to have to fix something - but we have to remember that you can't fix a screw up, it's not like Weight Watchers where you can just eat less points the next day to account for overdoing one day. All you can do is to resume No-Sing right away.

I have been "perfect" for 6 weeks and I know somewhere down the line I am going to screw up too and when I do I sure hope I can tell you guys that I got right back up on the horse and didn't look back. This is just too good to let anything derail me.

Doing so good for 3 months has to tell you that you have the majority of this plan down pat, now you just have a little manageable section to work on and improve on.
Dawn

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

I'm feeling better today. I realize it's not about being perfect. Aside from a little chocolate, yesterday was 'good enough' -- and that means something.

So...moving forward! :)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Jocelyn.

I have been here nearly three years now and there have been times when I have completely and utterly fallen off the NoS wagon. I think R states that sometimes it takes 12 or more tries to get it right.

I liked all the information on perfection. Thanks for posting it. It makes me realize that doing one's best is all that matters. But, I do remember hearing the phrase "trying is failing with honor". Sorry, I can't remember where I heard that. I guess what I'm "trying" to say is that we all have to follow our internal compass. You know and I know when we have a day when we have strayed from compliance to these rules. Heck, there are days when I rebel! What has been extremely helpful to me is the HabitCal. When I see a multicolored calendar I know I'm in trouble!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are back on track. Glad to hear you are not dispairing.

Onward we go....
D