Is my plate to big?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ladebbie

Is my plate to big?

Post by ladebbie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:03 am

This is my first week on No S Diet and I wonder if my Corelle dinner plates are too big to use? They are about a foot wide (diameter).

How big are your plates?

Thanks

Debbie

ladebbie

Forgot to proofread

Post by ladebbie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Wow I forgot to proofread before sending that. Honestly, I know the difference between "too" and "to." There's other typos also - yikes.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:37 pm

Not too worry about the typos. :)

All I can say about your plates is try them and see. If you are satisfied eating with them, and managing No-S to your satisfaction, they're fine.

A question that may help: do they look "normal dinner size" or "platter-sized"? If the latter, you may consider smaller plates. Otherwise, let it go.

I actually eat bigger meals than I used to - but that's okay. Meal food is much better for you than snack food, and by skimping on meals I was setting myself up to snack later.

Best of luck!

ladebbie

Thanks KCCC

Post by ladebbie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:28 am

That really helps KCCC. :D Thanks!

Actually, they seem to be dinner size I guess but still too big. Maybe after the first 21 days on No S I will start using the border inside the edge of the plates as the limit. Maybe not.

Debbie

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:40 am

Whatever the size, there's no requirement that you fill them. Just that you don't get seconds. :)

ladebbie

Cool!

Post by ladebbie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:30 am

Cool! 8) I'm going to stop worrying about plate size completely and just keep using my Corelle dinner plates.

Thanks again KCCC!

NoelFigart

Re: Cool!

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:17 am

ladebbie wrote:Cool! 8) I'm going to stop worrying about plate size completely and just keep using my Corelle dinner plates.

Thanks again KCCC!

That's probably the wise thing to do. The point is to keep it simple, after all.

No need to tweak anything until you have the system down!

ladebbie

Post by ladebbie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:18 am

Yea that makes sense. This is about changing habits isn't it?

Thanks Noel :D

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi ladebbie!

Personally I find that to enjoy a meal it has to look attractive and well presented - so I'd say if your plates are nice keep using them and think about how you present the food on there as well as how much goes on (you'll probably know what is too much as a big pile of food will look unnattractive) some colourful vegetables and / or a little side salad can go a long way to making a meal plate look more appealing!
:)

ladebbie

Post by ladebbie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks Bonnie :D

Thats a good idea about making the food look attractive so it's more satisfying.

And having more than one veggie is healthier. I think that I'm trying to convince myself that this isn't a diet because I'm eating what I used to call binge foods for meals. Dieting for me used to be low-fat vegan--which created lots of cravings even though I felt healthier while on it. Right now I'm eating lots of fat and sometimes animal protein. I suppose once I get used to the 3 plates a day I'll start cutting down on the fat.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:37 am

Hi ladebbie!

I'm a vegan :) (have been for several years) but I wouldn't say low fat, on a vegan diet its important to get all the omega oils etc. (from nuts, seeds, avocados etc.) so I don't really restrict fat content (it's starchy & sugary foods which make me put on weight).

I definately find that more than one vegetable makes a meal more satisfying, particularly if you include something raw like a salad or salsa, or some fresh herbs such as basil. :)

apple

Post by apple » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm

I enjoy my food more when it looks nice, too.

A sprig of parsley on the potatoes, some raw veggies for more colour, make it look pretty. Also, take a few minutes to lay the table, fold the napkins, choose nice glasses, etc. It all makes it feel more special, so you'll really take the time to enjoy the dinner.