Grain-based desserts are #1 source of calories in USA

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Grain-based desserts are #1 source of calories in USA

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:35 pm

"Grain-based desserts" are now the top source of calories in the United States, according to a recent analysis in JAMA internal medicine. That doesn't even include "dairy desserts" (number 10) or soft/energy drinks (number 4). Shocked? Disturbed? Depressed? I prefer to look at it in a more positive light: think what a difference "no sweets" can make.

http://nyti.ms/29SC1ix

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:02 am

It took me a moment to internalize the fact that they aren't just referring to "excess" calories, but TOTAL calories. I'd say "shocked" and "disturbed" do a good job of describing my initial reaction... but not "surprised."

Merry

Re: Grain-based desserts are #1 source of calories in USA

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:56 pm

reinhard wrote:"Grain-based desserts" are now the top source of calories in the United States, according to a recent analysis in JAMA internal medicine. That doesn't even include "dairy desserts" (number 10) or soft/energy drinks (number 4). Shocked? Disturbed? Depressed? I prefer to look at it in a more positive light: think what a difference "no sweets" can make.

http://nyti.ms/29SC1ix
The shocking part is that it took a new government study to know that we're fat because we eat too much sugar and too many snacks!

Okay, I know there's a bit more to the study than that, but the basic information was already out there (and nicely organized and documented in your book as well!), so nothing really surprising to see here.

I do wish more people knew about NoS and would give it a try. Sometimes when I tell people about it, they seem so non-plussed. It's revolutionary and simple all at the same time--perhaps too much of both for some people, but it just makes so much sense. Really, though, as a country we all need to do something.

I don't know if subsidies will stop on most of those crops though. As mentioned in the article, the same products are used in biofuels, animal feed etc... too. But, maybe recognizing the problem will be a first step...
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Shuggernaut

Re: Grain-based desserts are #1 source of calories in USA

Post by Shuggernaut » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Merry wrote:I don't know if subsidies will stop on most of those crops though. As mentioned in the article, the same products are used in biofuels, animal feed etc... too. But, maybe recognizing the problem will be a first step...
Subsidization of cheap, multi-purpose (mostly GMO, a.k.a. patented) grain crops will probably never end, certainly not until or unless something more profitable comes along. It's not that "they" (the powers-that-be) don't recognize the problem; they just don't care.

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Oh, and articles with gooey, frosty doughnuts pictured at the top need to come with warnings, LOL!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

noni

Post by noni » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:35 am

I wish our American government loved Americans more.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:06 pm

When I compare what I buy with what's available in the stores, I am not surprised. But it is appalling.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:03 pm

They were certainly what sustained me for years. Well, grain and sugar. I call all flour foods "particle" foods. I consider them to be partially digested. I'm experimenting with eating very little of them, even the unsweetened kind.

What I find disturbing these days, after coming out of the worst of the attachment, is how strongly most of us defend having access to them. So much talk (on other boards) of fearing deprivation. But I did it, too.

Here's a pertinent quotation: “Agricultural policies are just not aligned with public health goals.” Nor is defending free speech to advertise addictive foods, IMHO.

Now, if we could just get the food manufacturers to foot the health insurance bill, boy, would we EVER see a turnaround!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)