Weighing in - how often at first?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MJ7910

Weighing in - how often at first?

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm

So i just restarted beginning of February. And usually I weigh myself every 4 weeks. I'm kind of afraid I"ll see a gain after having Sdays and I don't want anything to set me back because I feel so much healthier mentally doing this. And I think Sdays will get less wild over time. So contemplating skipping my March weigh in and just seeing what April brings. For those of you who have been through this, what would you recommend? Did you see an initial gain due to diet deprivation rebound? I think I will see a gain and that could be quite discouraging. Tips or help anyone? Right now i think April is the best plan. March weigh in is most likely going to be higher and I don't need anything to make me look back or go back to calorie counting.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't own a scale. I weigh once a year at the doctor's office. If I had a scale, I wouldn't weigh more often than monthly.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:39 pm

I vary when I weigh, but I often weigh on a Friday or Saturday morning. That way I can see week to week where my weight lies after 5 (hopefully green) N days. I find then comparing one week to the next easier. You could do the same perhaps the last Friday of each month or something? Your weight will vary day to day, and week to week, but a slight downward trend should be observable if things are going well!

Of course you could just skip weighing and go by how you feel and how your clothes fit :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 am

If you believe it will help you stick with the plan, weigh. If you think it will end up discouraging you, skip it.

If you decide to weigh, why not choose Saturday morning?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 am

yeah i think i will skip march until i get a little more time under my belt. maybe first week of april. then that way i have given sdays more time to get less wild and can see if i care about making any mods to try and lose weight. i know if i see march is higher than my feb weigh in i could get very upset and not commit as much to the structure of this. plus i think i'll be out of town the weekend i was going to weigh (after TOM when my weight is lowest) and wont' get back until sunday night. usually monday morning is not a good time to weigh onesself! so april it is! i think that's the right choice for me. i may go back to monthly once things get stable. the "are my clothes fitting" test might be a better test anyway.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 pm

I personally don't weigh at home. Maybe once every few months at the gym.