Naturally Thin?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Piper

Naturally Thin?

Post by Piper » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:38 am

Has anyone here read and/or heard of the book Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel? If so, what are your thoughts or comments on it?

Thanks!

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Thin-Sk ... roduct_top

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:02 am

I've read it. I thought it was pretty good, at the time. She comes across as very friendly in the book (I like her much better in her books than I do on her TV appearances). She definitely fits with the Intuitive Eating approach. Her recipes are interesting. Overall, it is worth a read.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 am

I've also read it. I thought there were some ideas that dovetailed with No-S, but overall was not something I'd want to follow.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:57 pm

i think this book is great if you are naturally thin! you probably already think/eat like this. however i have found that those of us who struggle with eating proper amounts of food, this line of thinking doesn't always work. it would be great if we could think like that, but then, we'd probably already be thin! i like the idea of having a structure and somewhat ideas of portion sizes (however loose they might be). if i was thinking/living like bethanny i probably would not lose weight! would just justify every bad eating event.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:54 pm

When it was first released, I bought it
and read it as a part of my dieting Hobby, but was unimpressed.
Just more of the same, standard diet book.
Didn't contain anything especially uniquely helpful.
:roll:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm breaking a terrible rule by commenting without having read the book, but this line from the review gave me pause: "a one-week program to jump-start readers on the Naturally Thin lifestyle." I become suspicious when writers feel they have to promote speed.

Actually, I do follow some of the ideas about what foods to eat (also according to the review)- at my regular meals. That has been an evolution and is my preference now.

These days, most of my reading about this issue has more to do with habit strategies.

If you feel the book will help you stick to No S, great. It's the lynch pin, IMHO.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)