Overcoming Food-Related Strongholds (with prayer)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Overcoming Food-Related Strongholds (with prayer)

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 am

I just got an encouraging book on my Kindle, called "Praying God's Word: Breaking Free... By Beth Moore. It has a chapter on Overcoming Food-Related Strongholds. Anyone else interested?

I think I will just post some quotes. I felt so much more hopeful today as I prayed through some of the prayers.

(From the chapter introduction) "Thank goodness the word says, 'The one who called you is faithful and He will do it.' You and I cannot get our bodies and souls under control. Cease trying to 'get yourself together' and be disciplined in your own strength. It is useless... Stop feeling guilty because you don't have any self-discipline of your own... God is the only one who can sanctify and make us every part whole... 'and He will do it.' All He wants is our trust, our belief, and a little time."

"Lord, according to your word, if I wholeheartedly commit whatever I do to you, my plans will succeed (Prov. 16:3). Lord, I acknowledge that the heart of committing any plan to you is seeking your plan. Show me the right path, Father!"
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

pasofan

Post by pasofan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 am

Thank you for posting this !!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:28 am

Yes, thank you!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:12 pm

I can put some quotes here at least a couple times a week, as long as there's interest.

"Lord, what you are commanding me today is not too difficult for me or beyond my reach (Deut. 30:31)."

"Lord, please help me not to merely listen to the Word, and so deceive myself. Please help me to do what it says. (James 1:22) Your word works, but if I'm to experience it personally, I must be obedient. I need your help, Lord."

"When your words come to me, help me to eat them; make them my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, o Lord God Almighty.(Jer. 15:16) Increase my appetite for your word, my Sufficiency!"
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Sweetness, thank you for your courage and post. It's much appreciated!

At the time I am working through "faithfully fit" - a 42-day devotional by Claire Cloninger and Laura Barr. I am also reviewing (again) and implementing principles from Diane Hampton's book "The DIET Alternative" (the revised version with study guide). I find both books very helpful and inspired/inspiring. :idea:

...am thinking about starting a blog with focus on NoS principles from the Christian perspective. Would anybody be interested in participating?
This could be a good opportunity to help and encourage each other on our journey to a healthy relationship with food/eating.

pasofan

Post by pasofan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:50 pm

I would be interested !!! Thank you for posting this !!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:49 am

Heddi,
I would be interested too, be sure to let us know either on this thread or with a private mail when you start your blog. Thanks also for the tips on the books.

Everyone, feel free to contribute here any spiritual tips, verses, prayers, or stories of success!
Patty

JustForToday

Post by JustForToday » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:26 am

I'm totally interested in any spiritually related NoS encouragement! Thanks for posting this.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Today, I'm posting a prayer from the book that's perfect for an S- day.

"Everything is permissible for me -- but not everything I'd beneficial. Everything is permissible for me -- but I desire not to be mastered by anything. (1 Cor. 6:12) Lord God help me to recognize and discern what is not beneficial for me. Help me to see that authentic liberty is being free to do certain things and free not to do others."
Patty

pasofan

Post by pasofan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Amen !!
1 Timothy5 :23

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

8)
Today I'm sharing a prayer from my own personal journal, based loosely on Proverbs 3:5-8.

"Lord I trust you with all my heart, and I don't want to depend on my own understanding. Everything I do, everywhere I go, I want to look to you for direction, because I know that your ways are best. I know that you will guide me because you've promised. Today if ill just look to you for guidance, you'll show me what to eat and even how much. I really want to obey you, God. Help me not to be proud or wise in my own eyes. Help me not to think I know how to do anything without you. I want to always respect you and do the right things and turn away from the wrong things. If I do you promise that it will be healing to my body and strength and refreshing to my bones. If I eat only the amount that you help me decide, I'll lose weight and I'll be healthier and stronger. It will be easier on my bones and joints. I really want that, Lord, and I depend on you to help me. Thanks, Jesus."

(What follows is how I feel God answered me:) "Because you love me, I will set you free. In this world you have troubles, but be happy and brave- I have overcome the world (John 16:33). I am with you in trouble. I set your feet in a high secure place because you know my name. When you call upon me I will answer you. I'll rescue you and honor you. I'll satisfy you with long life and show you my salvation (Psalm 91:14-16)."

Have a great green week! :mrgreen:
Patty