Newbie needs some support please

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Skelton

Newbie needs some support please

Post by Skelton » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi everyone, first post.

A bit about me. I'm a 50 y/o female, need to lose about 70 pounds but I will be happy with 45-50 pounds.

I started No S Tuesday 7 August, had green days right through the weekend and didn't go 'wild' on my S days but I did indulge a little.
Green day Monday just past too. I was so thrilled. I'm an emotional eater who has never been able to stick to a diet and had been having sugar binges almost daily for the previous two months. I have a history of eating like this since I was about 17 so that's 33 years of out of control.
No S was great, I was in control, I didn't feel deprived. I felt happy and I felt like I had more energy because less of my brain power was being wasted on food and wondering if I should eat this or that, when I should eat it etc.
I'm sure many of you have been there too.

Anyway, the bad news. :oops: Yesterday, I get this urge for sweets. Which I gave in to. But I only ate a very tiny amount. It tasted too sweet and yucky. I threw it away into the bin. I was very proud of myself. But today...same again. And I'm in the sweets again and eating quite a lot. And snacking. I'm so disappointed in myself.

So my questions. Can anyone identify with this? Did you do this at first? I had sailed through that first week of No S and I'm feeling despondent now.
Also, what advice would you give me now? You can imagine, my head is telling me to go on a strict diet and blah blah.

Sorry my post got long. Please share anything you can that will help me. I do not want to go on a restrictive 'traditional' diet...they don't work and they make me feel depressed.

Jethro

Re: Newbie needs some support please

Post by Jethro » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Skelton wrote:
Anyway, the bad news. :oops: Yesterday, I get this urge for sweets. Which I gave in to. But I only ate a very tiny amount. It tasted too sweet and yucky. I threw it away into the bin. I was very proud of myself. But today...same again. And I'm in the sweets again and eating quite a lot. And snacking. I'm so disappointed in myself.

So my questions. Can anyone identify with this? Did you do this at first?
The road to slimville via NOS is full of bumps, craters and obstacles. You have to go thru or around them to reach the promised land.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Skelton

Re: Newbie needs some support please

Post by Skelton » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Jethro wrote:
Skelton wrote:

So my questions. Can anyone identify with this? Did you do this at first?
The road to slimville via NOS is full of bumps, craters and obstacles. You have to go thru or around them to reach the promised land.
Aww thanks Jethro! I may just have to copy that and stick it on my bathroom mirror.
I'm determined to keep going.
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 pm

What you experienced is pretty normal. Sometimes it happens the first week, sometimes not until a few weeks into No-S, but it's not at all unusual. Just get back on track with the next meal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:38 pm

I had three months of perfect Vanilla No S and had lost ten pounds when I ran into trouble. It's been bumpy on and off but nothing like the decades of bingeing/compulsive overeating I had done before. In fact, I feel pretty solid and normal most of the time, but if you had read my check in thread over these last 31 months, you would have heard of some down times. Even last week! But No S is it. And vow to have three green days before the weekend. Then stick to your guns even if you feel like crying.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:41 pm

Oh, and check this out from last week. Not exactly the same, but worth looking at. http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8797
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:35 am

For me NoS only works well so far because I'm not restricting my S days at all. Some of them were pretty wild but I think it's more important to concentrate on N days for now. Maybe indulge a little on S days?
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 am

I have a suggestion for you, and that's to sit down and write out reasons to stick with the plan on N days. It would be things like this (you can make your own list):

- No one dies because they can't have candy.
- An S day is not that far away and I can wait.
- I feel better when I stay with the plan.
- It's OK to have a beverage instead of snacking.

And so on! Keep your list somewhere close by so that you can read it, preferably out loud, when you get those urges. You could have one copy on the fridge, one in your purse, etc. You get the idea--just divert yourself with better messages.

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:18 am

JayEll wrote:...
- No one dies because they can't have candy.
- An S day is not that far away and I can wait.
- I feel better when I stay with the plan.
- It's OK to have a beverage instead of snacking.

And so on! Keep your list somewhere close by so that you can read it, preferably out loud, when you get those urges. You could have one copy on the fridge, one in your purse, etc. You get the idea--just divert yourself with better messages.
Jay, I find this to be very helpful. I do something similar. It's all about telling yourself the truth, isn´t it. Thanks for sharing this with us.
I keep a daily journal in which I remind myself of the (positive) truth of the situation - a reality check of sorts.
I have a separate little note book with the topic, "What I did right today" in which I, by date, write successes and how they happened; helpful during challenging times to look back to...be encouraged...
________
Heddi

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not a spectacular No S failure and that others have been there too. I think my fall off the wagon hit me hard because last week when I got a great run of greens, I felt amazing and very optimistic.

So, I've had 3 Red days. Tuesday wasn't too bad, Wednesday I went a bit wild and yesterday wasn't too bad either. Previously I'd have turned it into a week long binge. So I'm very happy to be back on track today. I'm doing Vanilla No S, no mods, so tomorrow and Sunday will indeed be S days and I've got my treats planned already ;)

Jayell thanks so much for your suggestions, I think something like that would be very helpful. Actually that just reminded me that I have a copy of the Beck Diet Solution somewhere and the tactics and strategies in there would likely work great with No S. I must dig it out.

oolala- I'm glad to see you post here too. It was a post of yours on SP that brought me over here and to buy the book. I saw a lot of myself in what you'd written and decided to give this a try. So thank you!
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Glad you saw me on Spark. This site is so invaluable. Oh, and Beck's workbook was instrumental to me in implementing No S, though I ignored her recommendations to plan and track every calorie. I used the strategies that helped support these guidelines. I found it easier because I am convinced that No S is fair and reasonable. I know I wouldn't think that about traditional diets.

But there are also similar ideas here about cognitive strategies from many threads and on the Catch Phrase forum.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23