Liqueurs???????????

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jethro

Liqueurs???????????

Post by Jethro » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:08 pm

I enjoy liqueurs every now and then. I never indulge more than 2 daily units, as per glassceiling rules.

But, Am I violating N days' no sweets rule if my two alcohol units are liqueurs ? :?: :?:
Last edited by Jethro on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 pm

While they are sweet, I've never considered liqueurs a sweet. Don't over think things.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 am

Most liqueurs are very high in sugar. If that's the majority of the calories, then I'd classify it as a sweet, myself. But it's up to you.

Jethro

Liqueur sugar

Post by Jethro » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:37 pm

According to the USDA data base, listed liqueurs range from 30-56% of total calories.

Since all taste sweet anyway I'll consider them sweets and save them for S days.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 pm

While I agree with wosnes about not overthinking things, if it's sweet enough to taste sweet and is not fruit, I consider it an S.

So, dammit, my beloved appletinis are most definitely an S as are liquors.

This is a bit arbitrary, as certainly wine and beer are pretty carb intensive as well, so I run with the sticky-sweet thing and don't rules lawyer it.

But, yeah, individual call.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Paula Wylma

Sweet rules

Post by Paula Wylma » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 pm

I was re- reading the book today and the definition of a sweet given in the beginning of the book is "something whose principal source of calories is sugar. . ." So it depends on the added sugar--if you want to be definite, then you could subtract the calories in non-sweetened liquor from the calories in an appetini and do the math.

Or, you could relax and ask yourself this question: Am I asking because I have a genuine desire to follow the rules or am I asking because I am hoping someone will give me a loophole that will allow me to have what I want on a N day? :-)

I think Reinhard said in the book that "Deserved desserts really do taste much better." so if you save your appertinis for S days, then they will taste even better!