Wow, do I ever feel stupid!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tireddad5

Wow, do I ever feel stupid!

Post by tireddad5 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:37 pm

15 years ago I decided to eat right and exercise. It was a simple idea, I didn't read any books, buy any videos or join a gym. I just ate a sensible three squares a day, made sure I did at least 30 minutes of walking, push-ups and sit-ups 3 times a week, and that was it. I lost 85 lbs in an 8 month period and kept it off for two years. Then my wife became pregnant with triplets, my routines went out the door and the weight started coming back. I started searching for the answer in various diet programs, joined a gym and never went, went low carb then "Paleo". Alcohol consumption started to increase and self esteem started to decrease. Needless to say, all of the weight and then some came back. About 3 months ago a very personal and emotional event occurred in our family. As a result, I stopped drinking to be a better husband and father through this difficult time. I quit worrying about my diet and basically just ate like a "normal person". I stepped on the scale for the first time in over a month one day and had lost 18lbs. I was completely baffled, I was expecting to gain weight from not sticking to my diet. I have since continued to eat this way and have lost a total of 30 lbs in 3 months. After stumbling upon this site while trying to figure out why I was losing weight, everything clicked. I've been miserable for the last 13 years because I had my head up my rear and got caught up looking for the answer I already new. I'm glad I found this forum and look forward to moving forward. I have at least 85lbs to go to get to a healthy 200lbs, I am hoping this forum will help keep my head where it's supposed to be. I look forward to meeting you all and to a healthier life. It's hard to believe it's as simple as this, but maybe that's why I couldn't see it. Sorry for the life story first post.
Jason

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Welcome!

I'm sorry you and yours are going through a rough time, but I'm glad you're choosing some healthy, self-supporting behaviors to cope.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:50 am

Welcome! You are off to a great start. I have every confidence you will continue on to a healthy and happy future. Well done on the habits, the weight loss and responding to the "wake up call". And if it took a rude awakening to get you to this point, then so be it. If you need it, one is the perfect number - better than two (or more) and much better than none.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Welcome, tireddad5!
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Welcome!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:08 am

Welcome Jason, it is always good to have another member of the XY Chromosme pool here. :lol:

Hope everything is working out for the family. This does work.

J.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

osoniye

Re: Wow, do I ever feel stupid!

Post by osoniye » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:35 am

tireddad5 wrote:I stopped drinking to be a better husband and father through this difficult time.
I really applaud this! Great you realized this might help and were willing to make the change for the sake of your loved ones. I hope things are going well. Welcome to the community!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm glad to hear of your pleasant experience with No S. :D
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:33 pm

It really does make sense that a person can eat 3 meals a day just about matter what is going on, esp. when the meals don't have to consist of any special foods, except eliminating sweets during the week. You've done it and are doing it. Thanks for sharing your "during" success, and keep being a great model of sanity for those triplets.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)