Quality vs. quantity... (S-day musing)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Quality vs. quantity... (S-day musing)

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:03 pm

Today, for an S-day treat, my son and I went to our local family-owned bakery and bought eclairs.

I used to not go to this bakery much. They're good, but quite expensive (or so I thought). I mean, sure, it was hand-made and all, but that much for an eclair? But I began to justify it because it's no more than I used to spend overall on treats in a week (maybe less) - since I'm buying less, this can fit in the budget.

Now I have another reason...

Their food is all "real," and you can tell. As I was eating the eclair, I marveled at what light-years there were between it and the grocery-store varieties. Flaky pastry, "real" filling and frosting... you could TELL there were no preservatives or fillers/extenders or chemicals in it. It was amazingly good, and very satisfying.

And... after a while of occasional treats from this bakery, I have noticed how little appeal pre-packaged stuff now holds for me. It's like the good stuff has "vaccinated" me against faux food or something.

I have also noticed how much better I do on S-days when I PLAN for a couple of WONDERFUL things, instead of randomly eating whatever I come across just because "well, it's an S-day and I can." It's not just that I eat less on "good" S-days - I enjoy more!

All of this makes the cost of the bakery items seem much more reasonable to me. Very, very worth it.

NoelFigart

Re: Quality vs. quantity... (S-day musing)

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:29 pm

KCCC wrote:I have also noticed how much better I do on S-days when I PLAN for a couple of WONDERFUL things, instead of randomly eating whatever I come across just because "well, it's an S-day and I can." It's not just that I eat less on "good" S-days - I enjoy more!

All of this makes the cost of the bakery items seem much more reasonable to me. Very, very worth it.
Yes, I experience this as well. A single, excellent-quality chocolate truffle is far more satisfying to me than one of those huge Hershey bars. I wonder how much of our habit of eating too much is simply that junk ISN'T as satisfying?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

marygrace

Re: Quality vs. quantity... (S-day musing)

Post by marygrace » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:35 pm

NoelFigart wrote: I wonder how much of our habit of eating too much is simply that junk ISN'T as satisfying?
I've read things that've said people are sometimes driven to eat tons of junk because their body is searching for nourishment. Since processed junk food contains zero nourishment, the need isn't really filled, and people eat more. Not that a high-quality chocolate or eclair has much more to offer, nutrition-wise, than a processed one, but I bet the basic idea is the same.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Funny you should mention eclairs -- they're definitely one of my favorite treats and fall right in with other comfort foods from my childhood. I'm going to have to find a bakery that really makes them from scratch.

I did find a recipe from Gale Gand on the Food Network. They don't seem to be too difficult to make. The hardest part is the choux pastry -- which isn't all that difficult.

But, quality definitely trumps quantity.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:17 am

wosnes wrote:Funny you should mention eclairs -- they're definitely one of my favorite treats and fall right in with other comfort foods from my childhood.

They were actually my second choice - the bakery was out of Napoleons this morning. But they were a pretty awesome second choice. :)

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:48 am

I think it's a very good point, a small excellent-quality dessert or other treat works very well, & usually goes a much longer way than eating lots & lots of junk. I'm still at that stage (sadly) that I overeat- sometimes on junk- on S days but I'm noticing already a small improvement & I hope to get to the point described in this thread with perseverence & in time...
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Eclairs are also my new S day treat. A local bakery makes them, but sometimes by the time I get there they are all out and I just can't bring myself to order them ahead of time because I know that I will eat the many that I'd order. I always used to eat the frozen ones if I ever had one, but the one from the bakery is unbelievably good and it's petit, so that's good for me.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 pm

After six months, my S days have naturally evolved into "one treat" days, and on Sundays I too go to a local bakery and pick out a treat. On Saturdays I always have chocolate-covered almonds as my treat. My N days have stayed pretty much the same since I started No S; it's the S days that have straightened out, and I enjoy them now more than I did at the beginning.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:30 pm

KCCC wrote:
wosnes wrote:Funny you should mention eclairs -- they're definitely one of my favorite treats and fall right in with other comfort foods from my childhood.

They were actually my second choice - the bakery was out of Napoleons this morning. But they were a pretty awesome second choice. :)
I don't think I've ever had a Napoleon!

I just checked the web site of my favorite bakery. They might have eclairs today. I have to pass it on my way to the grocery. I'm on my way!

By the way, I not only found that recipe at Food Network, I saw the show (several years ago) when Gale Gand make them. They didn't look that difficult. My only reason for not making them is that I'd be tempted to eat as many as I made!

UPDATE: It's a good thing I take wandering S-events! They didn't have them today, but will have them on Wednesday (they're closed Monday and Tuesday). I did buy a small cannoli.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm

wosnes wrote:
I just checked the web site of my favorite bakery. They might have eclairs today. I have to pass it on my way to the grocery. I'm on my way!

By the way, I not only found that recipe at Food Network, I saw the show (several years ago) when Gale Gand make them. They didn't look that difficult. My only reason for not making them is that I'd be tempted to eat as many as I made!

UPDATE: It's a good thing I take wandering S-events! They didn't have them today, but will have them on Wednesday (they're closed Monday and Tuesday). I did buy a small cannoli.
I love the term "wandering S-events" - rather describes what I did on vacation. Glad it worked out for you.

I may have to check out the eclair recipe next weekend - I'm sure I can get help with any excess. :)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:17 pm

Another great conversation!

I'm often surrounded by cheap treats at work. A number of years ago I realized that I

1. Didn't particularly like any of this stuff, and
2. Would eat too much of it, if I took that first piece.

So, for the last few years, my rule with low-quality candy has been "Don't start." I'd much rather hold out for really great quality and skip the other stuff.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 pm

The S day thing is still a mystery to me! I got my book today so it had more information yet in it. Basicly the way I understand the people on this board AND the book, If you stick with No S and keep your N days faithful and true, The S days just straighten them selves out with time, by itself.

Which seems kind of hard to imagine for a newbie! I mean ya know after years of bingeing, and yo-yo ing between die hard strictness and all you can eat binges! But it does make sense!

I think not eating sweets all week might be another thing that helps all this work out.

Quality vs. Quanity is a great idea! If you can plan all week what your special treat will be and Really make it count. Every bite must be absolutly delicious! That makes all the extra junk seem not so appealing ya know!

I read about trying to start with having 3 solid meals on S days to start with as a basic structure. It makes sense, do you all do this or eat when you feel like it?
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Herbsgirl, you might read the sticky "Phases of No S" up above. That sort of helps lay our some "phases" that people go through (at least in my view, and a lot of people seemed to agree).

At this point, I do stick to the 3-meal structure on S-days. But I didn't at first.

The big key is don't worry about S-days until your N-days are solid. Really solid. You are trying to BUILD HABIT. That will probably bleed over to your S-days. If it doesn't after a few MONTHS, then it's time to put some structure on your S-days. (Gently, and carefully.)

Part of the purpose of S-days, IMHO, is to convince that non-rational part of your brain that "there WILL be nice food again." Between regular meals and promised treats, that part of your being slowly calms down and stops frantically searching for food. But it takes time to reach that point, and so many folks are impatient...

So the standard advice to newbies is "focus on N-days first".

Good luck!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks KCCC! You have alot of experience and wisdom to give us newbies!

Something that has helped me before, I want to mention is out of the BOOKs Beating OVereating and Overcoming Overeating by Gillian Riley. She says to give yourself Complete freedom (seriously) and tell yourself you CAN do whatever you want. Then ask yourself, I am I really Choosing?? This has really freed me in the past eating changes. I ask myself, What do I really want, do I want to go ahead and eat/overeat, and then imagine the outcomes of both choices the negative and positve, how I will feel, ect if I choose one or the other. Then I can decide what I TRULY want to do, whether its negative or positive, and I also have to ACCEPT the consequences ect. So in doing it this way I am taking responsibility for my choices. Instead of just binging a whole bunch and beating myself up afterwards, If I think it over and imagine how I'll feel later and what might be the consequences of doing it, I didnt always want to overeat/binge! In fact, alot of times, I chose NOT to do the negative thing!

I think the CHOOSING principle could also apply to S days. I could ask myself what we REALLY want (quality vs. quanity) and then eat accordingly. I we REALLY want to binge, we binge, but then we accept the consequences with no problems. If we REALLY want to enjoy a few treats without going overboard, then we could choose that too. I think If I truly ask myself this on S days (and beyond) I could be more true to myself and my true desires. It is a powerful tool, with also allowing yourself complete freedom!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:45 pm

I never had out-of-control weekends. I ate three normal meals, and enjoyed a few treats. The last few weeks, I've noticed weekend days where I don't have any esses, without even trying.

Of course, I'm an oddball.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Herbsgirl, "Recognize Choice" is one of my "mantras of adulthood." It applies to more areas of life than you might imagine. At least for me. A corollary is "Choose what will make you happy, and be happy with what you chose."

(Other mantras of adulthood include "Savor moments of beauty, joy, and connection" and "Celebrate accomplishments - yours and those of others." I'm sure there's more that haven't quite bubbled up to that level of acknowledgement.)

BrightAngel

Choices and Responsibilty

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Today I quoted a No S member in DietHobby
and gave the No S Diet a mention.
See:

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=297

Don't forget, you still have the ability to add a comment
about your own personal experience with No S
to the Comment Section of the Original Review of No S.
This is a section that I will continue to reference at DietHobby.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Thinking back to my binge days when I would eat an entire box of cookies while driving 15 minutes from the store to my home, I recall the cookies loosing their appeal to my taste buds after maybe 3 or 4. When I discovered that I had eaten the last cookie I would often think, "they didn't even taste so good" then I would wonder what was wrong with me for eating like that in the first place.

I must say that a nice, quality dessert eaten at a slow pace has always tasted better.

I've always admired my husband who can eat 1 cookie and be satisfied.
Start date: August 31, 2011
Pregnant

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:26 am

KCCC wrote:Herbsgirl, "Recognize Choice" is one of my "mantras of adulthood." It applies to more areas of life than you might imagine. At least for me. A corollary is "Choose what will make you happy, and be happy with what you chose."

(Other mantras of adulthood include "Savor moments of beauty, joy, and connection" and "Celebrate accomplishments - yours and those of others." I'm sure there's more that haven't quite bubbled up to that level of acknowledgement.)
I am going to have to remember that KCCC!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2