Virtual plating on the cheap

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

osoniye

Virtual plating on the cheap

Post by osoniye » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi Everybody,
Yesterday I went out for Mexican, and was thinking of the idea of passing on the free chips and salsa, but then had an idea or ordering a soft chicken taco, a la cart, and eating half a basket of chips with the salsa. My bill was looow, and I had a satisfying lunch that would have fit on a plate. Now I'm thinking of, what if I ordered a cup of cream of broc soup at my favorite restaurant and enjoyed half the bread basket w/butter.
I've heard about people asking to have the free carbs removed from the table, but has anyone tried this option of making a lot of the free stuff a major part of the meal? With success? In these tight financial times, it is looking to me like a good idea, though I'll admit it might be heavy on the carbs, but what do you think?
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

NoelFigart

Re: Virtual plating on the cheap

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:12 pm

osoniye wrote:though I'll admit it might be heavy on the carbs, but what do you think?
I think it depends on how your body responds to a high carb diet and whether or not you've defined the limits clearly and can't fudge. Since "Half the basket" is pretty clear if you're not fooling yourself about the virtual plating, if you do well on a high carb diet, why the heck SHOULDN'T you go for the money savings? I think it's a reasonable choice.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Many people in the rest of the world do fine on a similar diet. You'll know in a few months if it remains satisfying. I've come to crave veggies with my dense foods, but on occasion, I'll do it that way, too.

The habit you are trying to establish is ballpark eating times of meals. What you eat at them will vary a lot, esp, in the first several months. Being in a rut can make you fearful of variance, which you should not be, at least over a course of many meals. I think.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)