My "tastes" are changing...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

My "tastes" are changing...

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:56 am

I don't know if it is an age issue, or what is going on, but for years I always stayed away from spicy/hot foods, but within the last month I have been craving spicy/hot foods. I have been dumping Vietnamese hot sauce on dishes, sweet chili sauce, jalapeno stuffed olives, tonight I did something I have never done, ate 4 habanero/mango hot wings from Domino's (Will be doubling up on the Immodium before work tomorrow! :lol: ). My wife can't believe what she is seeing.

On the flip side I haven't had a taste for salt. We ate at the Sparks, Nevada In-n-Out Buger (which I generally love) Memorial Day weekend and I could barely finish it seemed so salty.

I must be going through male menopause or something?
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:10 am

As a female who has gone through menopause, I can't say that changes in taste were one of the symptoms, nor were cravings for hot/spicy foods.

I have found that taste buds are changing and that spicy foods are more tolerable now, but I still don't crave or especially like them. They just aren't as unpleasant now as previously.

The flip side of this is that I have less tolerance for fresh herbs. Too much used in a dish doesn't enhance it, but makes it taste too herbaceous. A little goes a long way.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi Over43 :)
I thought I'd respond to your post with some information I learned while in massage school.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, each internal yin/yang organ pair which represents one of the 5 elements in nature, has a corresponding, season emotion, body part ruled, and even taste and smell.. sometimes when we crave a certain taste more than others, or even a revulsion to a certain taste, it means there is something going on in that element within us.. possibly an imbalance of energy.

These five elemental pairs and their corresponding related tastes are

Wood: Liver and Gallbladder - Sour
Fire: Heart and Pericardium - Burnt or Bitter
Earth: Spleen and Stomach - Sweet
Metal: Lung and Large Intestine - Spicy
Water: Kidney and Bladder - Salty
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 am

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Hi Over43 :)
I thought I'd respond to your post with some information I learned while in massage school.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, each internal yin/yang organ pair which represents one of the 5 elements in nature, has a corresponding, season emotion, body part ruled, and even taste and smell.. sometimes when we crave a certain taste more than others, or even a revulsion to a certain taste, it means there is something going on in that element within us.. possibly an imbalance of energy.

These five elemental pairs and their corresponding related tastes are

Wood: Liver and Gallbladder - Sour
Fire: Heart and Pericardium - Burnt or Bitter
Earth: Spleen and Stomach - Sweet
Metal: Lung and Large Intestine - Spicy
Water: Kidney and Bladder - Salty
Well I have had allergies the last month or so, more than normal for this time of year. That would be lungs...

Thanks for the info. 8)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:25 am

you're welcome... yes, allergies is related to lung and spice stimulates lung chi, so that's probably why you're craving spice :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness